QuarterHorse data logging

jjsalz

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking at picking up Minotaur from PHP along with the QuarterHorse emulator. Has any one had success with data logging using the QuarterHorse​? The QuarterHorse product description on PHP's site says:

-Datalogging of all sensors and values to the PC.

I've reached out to PHP and they said:

You wont be able to datalog with the quarterhorse unfortunately

Just wondering on anyone's experience with the QuarterHorse data logging feature. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

superpsd

Reaction score
Why not just use some other data logger thru the OBD port. I use the Torque app to datalog if I need to check anything after making tuning changes. 95% of the time when I'm testing out tuning changes I'm using my eyes, ears, and feel to verify changes.

jjsalz

Reaction score
Why not just use some other data logger thru the OBD port. I use the Torque app to datalog if I need to check anything after making tuning changes. 95% of the time when I'm testing out tuning changes I'm using my eyes, ears, and feel to verify changes.
No reason why I can't, in fact I already have ScanXL Pro that I use for datalogs. I'm more interested in users experiences with the QuarterHorse more than anything, since it sounds like one should be able to datalog with it. Most of the information I've found online on the QuarterHorse pertain to live tuning on Mustangs, and the information is quite dated.

superpsd

Reaction score
I think most of the guys who are using Minotaur around here are using a Hydra chip or TS6 chip or other device to flash the pcms eeprom. If PHP says you cannot datalog with the QH I would think that answers your question? What are you trying t achieve by datalogging with the chip vs the OBD port? If you can in fact datalog thru the J3 port that's the first I've heard.

jjsalz

Reaction score
Yes, it is a feature of the QuarterHorse. PHP did say it wasn't possible, but that is because the contact I was talking to wasn't aware it was possible either. He directed me to Moates website, which goes into more detail the features of the chip. And their site explicitly says that one can datalog all sensors and values to your PC. I'm going to try to reach out to Moates next, they may have some short tutorials possibly. I'm seeing quite a few guides and user manuals on their site for other applications that could get me started hopefully.

On another note, do you happen to use Minotaur? Do you like it?

Last edited:

jjsalz

Reaction score
Cool. Well thanks for your input. I might just pick up the Minotaur Standard package with the Hydra and see where it takes me.

superpsd

Reaction score
The Hydra/Minotaur package is a pretty good deal. It saves you money rather than buying it all separately. I have the extension cable installed. (you do have to file the back on the cable plug unless they fixed that design flaw so the cable will slide into the J3 port opening attached to the chip) All I have to do is power up the laptop and plug it into the port on the dash to download any new tune calibration. You can always purchase the QH chip latter and play with the live tuning side of things. I just make 5 or more tunes with small revisions and download them to the chip and run thru the different tunes on the go during a road test. I can turn the truck off. Make a small change sitting there. Save it and download the edited calibration and have the truck running the change only a few minutes latter.

Last edited:

jjsalz

Reaction score
Yeah that sounds like a really good setup, I'll most likely do something similar to you and try the QuarterHorse later if I feel like the extra $$$ is worth it

DZL JIM

Reaction score
I use IDS to data log.
I'd call Moates and talk with them (or email them) and get it right from them. I had many emails with Moates about a lot of things last summer. Great people to deal with, fast responses, detailed emails, etc.

jjsalz

Reaction score
Ok, thanks Jim. I appreciate it. Knowledge is power and let me tell you, I've read many of your posts and have learned a great deal from your contributions. Thanks

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
QH datalogging is extremely high speed, significantly faster and more data than what the OBD-II port can provide. Problem is, you have to have software that knows how to talk to the QH, set it up to ready the memory locations you need, etc. The only software I'm aware of that can do this is the stuff Jody at DP-Tuner helped develop. Unfortunately, I don't believe that Jody sells the software to the public.

I'm guessing that Bill at PHP was going to do something similar, but maybe never got around to it.

jjsalz

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the reply. Im still looking into this as I would like to eventually use the QH. I'm thinking I'll contact Moates directly and try to get more info as well, I do develope software as part of my career so I wouldn't mind writing a program to interface if Moates got me on the right track

superpsd

Reaction score
Yep. Like Dennis just said. The QH hardware makes it capable to datalog. However the software needs to be capable of datalogging as well. It sounds like PHP has yet to release any kind of update to provide that capability and DP tuner pretty much keeps what software they use as proprietary information to his company. That being said a QH would be nice to make fast changes if you had for example a truck that is tough to dial a idle in.

Latest posts

Members online