low boost, no leaks?

haligen

Reaction score
Some back story, truck was running fine (never very powerful), had dp tuner tunes, 6637, 3" downpipe, and a BTS. With plans to go west this summer I was on a mission to make a great reliable tow pig. I added a 7.3 SD intercooler, did efuel with a Bosch 044, replaced the UVCH and pigtails with SD parts, resealed the IPR, replaced the ICP, all the pulleys, rebuild the turbo with a 1.0 housing, gutted the EBPV, resealed the intake plenums, replaced uppipe donuts, installed (supposedly) new hybrid injectors, and fixed some oil leaks. From go I was hot and smokey. Boost was slow to build and never really broke 20psi. While data logging I somehow managed to blow the headgasket on the passenger head. So I replaced the gaskets with FORD oem, put in some ARP head studs, new cups, and 910 springs. Switching from one tuner to another helped the smoke some but its still not boosting. I pressure tested and smoke tested for leaks and couldn't locate any. Thinking my turbo just wasn't up to the task of cleaning up the bigger injectors I've now thrown a KC38R into the mix. I'm still not making over 20psi and that 20 comes at the the 1-2 shift at WOT. I even went to the extreme of sawzalling off the muffler this afternoon thinking maybe, just maybe, it was plugged with something. No dice. It already had the CAT cut off. Right now I'm at a loss. I even went and put the original spyder on just to cut out any potential spots for leaks. All injectors pass buzz, but 5 and occasionally 7 fail contribution. I moved #5 injector to another hole and the problem stayed with #5 hole. Went ahead and did a compression test and they both are at 340psi. With the cover off I watched all the injectors and the oil coming out seemed the same and the rockers all looked to move the same. Fuel pressure never dips below 75 and ICP and duty cycle seem to be keeping up. I'm still only using the tow tunes for testing. I'm all ears for any and all suggestions.

superpsd

Reaction score
It's likely a tuning issue. 20 psi is low. Without digging thru your complete setup. Tuning with too much timing (SOI) advanced can cause elevated cylinder pressure which will pop gaskets and too much timing will not allow enough heat into the turbine to spool the turbo properly. What's your EGTS like and what size of hybrid? Are you running tuning for the hybrids or running stock injector tunes?

haligen

Reaction score
Tuning for hybrids and I drive by the pyro. Matt sent me some tunes pulling fuel but it still smokes. Even at idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haligen

Reaction score
What........
- injectors --> from who, size?
- EGT temp?
- Turbo specs?

Billy T.
[email protected]

238/20 supposedly from industrial injection

700-800 light cruising and I can send them as high as I want to with just a bit of pedal. Before I'm out of first gear on a WOT run in a heavy tow tune I can hit 1300 quickly before I back out of it.

New KC38R

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Stupid question, but your air filter isnt really dirty, or have a rag stuck in the intake trac or something like that?

haligen

Reaction score
Long story short, it was an ebay deal. Was told they were brand new injectors from industrial. Get them to the house and they look new ( but I suppose remans could be clean), but they had no real markings. I call industrial to try and confirm what the injector was and they said it wasnt theirs. So I take an injector apart and measure things. Armature clearence was perfect at .004, barrel and plunger were 7mm, and the piston was 29.7mm. Def a hybrid but the nozzle is an unknown. Holes are visibly larger larger with a marking of 7-16 F6. Unlimited said 7-16 was a factory mark but they had never seen F6 and guessed that it was a ex honed nozzle.

haligen

Reaction score
Stupid question, but your air filter isnt really dirty, or have a rag stuck in the intake trac or something like that?

I wish it was that easy . No the intake is clear and the filter is clean and only been in the truck for about 2500 miles.

uncool

Reaction score
What is ICP pressure like and IPR duty cycle?

Your biggest unknown is the injectors.

Pull them and have them tested so YOU know what you have and where to go from there.

With the rest of your parts, the truck should run pretty damn well even with a stock injector.

mandkole

Reaction score
From your first post, its hard to tell when the issues first started. It almost reads like they were there from the beginning. Tuning on stock injectors will get you over 20 psi, so perhaps you've just been modding around an issue somewhere else.

A couple of suggestions;

Do you have the turbo oring seal on the compressor out joint to the CAC?
Perhaps an issue with the MAP sensor?

I would agree that those injectors sound sketchy but even if one was bad, the truck would run better than 20psi.

haligen

Reaction score
Maybe I've been modding around some unknown issue. I figured by now I would have addressed it. I do have the oring, a new one from riffraff, and when I had the E99 spyder on I had the proper band clamp. MAP sees atmospheric when the engines off but maybe. I did notice the EBP sensor never changes from around 14.6.

superpsd

Reaction score
The 29.7mm IP which i assume is a 16mm diameter A code IP means it is likely a AC code IP. I think with a standard BD code plunger and barrel it will be a 238cc injector but I'm not completely sure. Does not matter anyways as it is a hybrid. As for not knowing what the nozzle is that will be the challenge for tuning. Just for kicks. Bypass the chip and run on the factory Pcm calibration. See if it spools harder. Your EBP tube is probably clogged but has no effect on fueling or timing anyways. It is used for shift strategies.

Last edited:

haligen

Reaction score
No difference running the stock tune. One thing I noticed today is I have some serious oil dilution going on. It didnt hit me but when I got back from a camping trip to Georgia I probably drained off almost 1 or gallons of oil just to hit the full mark. At the time it didn't register with me since I thought it had just been accidentally overfilled. Now its way up on the stick again with no loss of coolant. I'm guessing I have a stuck injector. Since I did take one apart I pulled that particular one out and reassembled it just to be sure it was right. The nozzle did have some carbon buildup. At this point I'm about to put my stockers back in and send these injectors off.

superpsd

Reaction score
That's odd. First a heui injector can't stick open like a Piezo injector. If it could stick open it would hydro lock the engine and cause damage. I don't know how you put so much fuel into the crankcase. It's usually oil loss as the high pressure oil is higher than the fuel. If that much fuel was getting into the cylinder I would think it would billowing smoke going down the road. You may have some ****ty nozzles on those injectors. You could buy a set of nozzles and swap them but sending them for flow testing would of course be the recommended thing to do.

Last edited:

haligen

Reaction score
Oh I'm def billowing smoke. Even at idle I have a nice light blue eye stinging cloud.

superpsd

Reaction score
That's definitely an issue. I wonder if it's those unknown nozzles. You can get a set of Redat nozzles for under $400. They make the 30/80/100/200/400/600 nozzle sizes. They are what I believe most builders are using for nozzles.

I had thought I had a cracked nozzle last week. On my way to work I ramped it hard to pass a slower truck. After that it was billowing white/blue smoke. I unplugged each injector one at a time to find the troubled stick. Nozzle was visibly fine and since the smoke went away once unplugged it ruled out the nozzle. I swapped my P&B and nozzle into a new injector and it's back to running good.

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
You can. You would then have your stock injectors torn apart however. Or pay the piper and send them to a builder.

haligen

Reaction score
I guess I'll order some known size nozzles, maybe 80's, and then finish my flow bench. Ain't nuttin but money right?

Latest posts

Members online