2015 HVAC Issues

Holdpoint

Reaction score
Let's see if I can describe this properly without sounding completely ignorant.....Now that it's gotten hot and humid outside I've noticed a few oddities with my AC in my F250 Platinum. A couple of static facts; I typically remote-start the truck and I typically leave it on auto-ac. Lately what I've noticed is that when I get in after remote-start the auto ac function doesn't work. You can turn it down to 60 and the fan speed will stay the same. Now if you turn max AC on then blower motor kicks up and away it goes. If you go back to auto it's almost like it returns the fan to the lowest possible speed. Now if you leave it on max AC for several minutes while you're driving and then hit the auto ac button there's a pretty good chance the auto ac function will work properly and the fan speed will modulate with the temp change requested. More often than not if I don't remote-start the truck then the auto-ac function seems to work as it should. I've also noticed that even on max ac it feels like the compressor is kicking on and off (i.e. it will be ice cold then you feel the humidity then back to ice cold). It's almost like it's short cycling but its not.

The only thing for certain I've come up with is:
-the auto-ac function does not work properly 100% of the time
-max AC will always work
-it appears to be more common when the truck is remote-started and it is hot outside although the hot outside is probably just my perception

I'm assuming since AC works system is charged correctly, blower motor appears to function, vent controls work. It's an electric gremlin I'm guessing which could be very easy to fix or a PITA.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
I know my f150 had remote start ac configuration in the cluster. The few times i had the cluster set to auto and the tempature on the climate panel set to auto it defaulted to 68 degrees and low level fan speed. I figured that out when it was 30 degrees outside. It was like the truck didnt know what to do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
I have the same issue. I just power off and back on. Usually fixes it. I think it just never wakes up from what temp the remote start had going on. Remote start climate control does it's own thing, regardless of what you set auto temp to

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
Forgot to add the compressor is supposed to cycle on and off. Not like older cars where it just runs when a c on. I tried to lemon law my 150 cause of the ridiculous cycling. Made my electric fans sound pretty silly when a.c. Would cycle off and on ever couple seconds. Even ford tech said"well that ain't right" corporate ford decided that's how system is designed"fuel savings" you know? Uh what

Holdpoint

Reaction score
I never set the MY TEMP - I'm not worried about what it factory defaults to when remote-started, it's more the auto ac function working properly whenever the key is in the ignition. I think it's like Big Juice said, the truck is not able to differentiate from remote-start to ignition on as it pertains to the auto ac function. I started it this morning without using remote start and AC worked as it should. We'll see if it works this afternoon when its 100 and humid.

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
My temp only sets the auto temp when a.c. Is running in a key on position. My temp does not control remote start temps. That is decided by the computer and not able to be adjusted by anyone including the dealer, as I was explained. However that forscan can adjust stuff the dealer also told me was not able to be changed. Might be worth looking into..??

BigRed97

Reaction score
There's a SSM to update the hvac module calibration. Not sure if it'll address what you're talking about but worth a

46514 - 2014-2016 F-Super Duty - 6.7L - Intermittent Lack Of Air Conditioning (A/C) Perf

Some F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.7L engine may exhibit intermittent lack of A/C performance. If root cause for lack of performance is diagnosed to b e caused by the air inlet mode door remaining in mid travel position, it may be due to the heating ventilation air conditioning (HVAC) module not completing the initial key on self test of the actuator. To correct this condition, reprogram the HVAC module to the latest calibration using IDS release 104.04 or higher. Ma ke sure you are connected to the internet when entering module programming to ob tain the latest updates.

Reaction score
I believe it is common. My 11 worked perfectly then you get in the 15 when it is 100 degrees out side, start the truck, in auto turn the temp dial down and the damn fan slows down. Pisses me off to no end and the crazy part is if you turn the temperature up the fan speed will increase. After about 5 minutes and the inside temperature decreasing it starts working correctly.

I said something to my buddy and his truck does the same.

The a/c in these trucks sucks. After I had the evaporator replaced in my 11 the a/c worked a lot better.

Jomax

Reaction score
I believe it is common. My 11 worked perfectly then you get in the 15 when it is 100 degrees out side, start the truck, in auto turn the temp dial down and the damn fan slows down. Pisses me off to no end and the crazy part is if you turn the temperature up the fan speed will increase. After about 5 minutes and the inside temperature decreasing it starts working correctly.

I said something to my buddy and his truck does the same.

The a/c in these trucks sucks. After I had the evaporator replaced in my 11 the a/c worked a lot better.

I'm in Az and I think the A/C system is really good. I'd know.. my truck never experienced these issues, curious what's the fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04cr450

Reaction score
Your in az... it's hot, real hot.. 80 degrees that has been. De-humidified(air conditioning ) would feel comfy compared to the az heat. Once u get in humid hot weat her like the east coast here- you see how these ac systems are subpar.
My opinion? They are undercharged. I recharged mine about 1/2 lb. More to get the desired subcooling and I dropped about 9 degrees more across the supply/return temp.

Reaction score
I was going to say, we are generally about 80% humidity here in the gulf coast.

Interesting about your comment on the charge. I could not understand how my 11 cooked so much better after the new evaporator. Obviously the new evaporator was free of obstructions but it still worked better than when the truck was new.

Reaction score
My Ac sucks too in my 15. Pretty much every time I get in I have to cycle the recirculate button so the Ac blows hard. If I don't do that it seems like a HVAC door or something is getting stuck help open.

Jomax

Reaction score
My Ac sucks too in my 15. Pretty much every time I get in I have to cycle the recirculate button so the Ac blows hard. If I don't do that it seems like a HVAC door or something is getting stuck help open.

That's normal. The A/C will not work at MAX A/C unless recirculate is on.

Reaction score
That's normal. The A/C will not work at MAX A/C unless recirculate is on.

That's not what I was saying. If I get it the truck after it's been sitting and turn the Ac on in recirc/max Ac it doesn't blow as hard as it should. I have to Cycle recirc button once for it to actually work correctly.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I don't have the OCD issue with the climate control as some seem to have in these posts. I do think I have experienced something like what has been discussed here, but I'm not worried about it too much. Running my AC on MAX/Recirc can easily get the interior cooled off.

To help with the radiant heat coming thru the door panels I lined the back of the interior with Reflectix. I cut them to fit along the insulation that is OEM. Then sprayed with some 3M adhesive so they will not move. I had to make a small area for the door lock actuator rod to prevent any issues. I may end up pulling the floor and lining that as well. In the end this will be the first full summer to see if it helps keep out the heat.

Jomax

Reaction score
That's not what I was saying. If I get it the truck after it's been sitting and turn the Ac on in recirc/max Ac it doesn't blow as hard as it should. I have to Cycle recirc button once for it to actually work correctly.

That's because if you had be fan at a lower setting when you turned off the truck. It goes back to that. Hitting that button forces the fan to the high setting.

works the same if you hit the max A/C button twice. Automatically the fan goes to Max.

Reaction score
That's because if you had be fan at a lower setting when you turned off the truck. It goes back to that. Hitting that button forces the fan to the high setting.

works the same if you hit the max A/C button twice. Automatically the fan goes to Max.

Even if I put the fan to max I still have to cycle the button to get it to work
Correctly. I think it's the cheap electronic actuator for the recirc door.

cappa

Reaction score
Next time you use remote start, try turning the key to the first position for a sec till the display comes on your center counsel, then turn the key to run. This should reset the hvac. Or just try turning the climate control completely off then back on when the fan speed is low but temp is above set point. This always works for the auto setting on my 15, something in the programming of the auto hvac is stupid on the super duties.

Latest posts

Members online