Cool down on 6.4

mohead1

Reaction score
Ive got in the habit of letting my 6.4 cool down before shut off. Learned this from several 7.3 trucks in the past. I wait till EGT is less than 320 deg. Usually 317-320 starts to show on the SCT then i shut it off.
Im i wasting time or what, always heard to give the turbo bearings some time to get some oil cooling and not coke up. Ised to let the 7.3's go to 300 deg on EGT

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tnutcher

Reaction score
Ive got in the habit of letting my 6.4 cool down before shut off. Learned this from several 7.3 trucks in the past. I wait till EGT is less than 320 deg. Usually 317-320 starts to show on the SCT then i shut it off.
Im i wasting time or what, always heard to give the turbo bearings some time to get some oil cooling and not coke up. Ised to let the 7.3's go to 300 deg on EGT

I like to wait until I see under 300 on the 6.4. It was an old habit from my 99 dodge. My 6.4 had a banks system on it when I bought it and took a long time to get below 350 with the emissions in place; with the mini maxx it's less than 40 seconds and I'm under 300 under normal operation. Not sure if the turbo bearings or seals were designed differently with the added heat of regen cycles and the slower cool down with added exhaust restriction.... but I still do as a precaution...

TNutcher

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
It isnt so much the egts that are the issue, as the oil temp. Ive got a 6.0, so i inow its apples to oranges, but i let my oil get under 200 before shutting it off. If it was under 200 before stopping, then i let it idle until everyone is out of the truck and then kill it. With my kid being easily distracted, that typically takes about 45 seconds or so.

tnutcher

Reaction score
Oil temp important as far as effect on turbo seals/bearings? Or other engine parts?

TNutcher

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

mohead1

Reaction score
Im usually around 190 or so on EOT when im stopped and ready to shut off, figuring the heat still in the turbo or EGTs would carry over to the turbo bearings and heat soak them

My09Ride

Reaction score
Unless it is really hot, ambient temps, with the 6.4 under 400 is ok. If real hot I watch oil temps. Under 200... Its been pulling like a TRAIN since tuned and fixed!

Latest posts

Members online