6.7 pump on 6.0

Tx60

Reaction score
I’ve got the 6.7 pump on my truck, but I’m having fuel pressure issues. Motorcraft filters are fresh, no leaks aside from the return which drips but I’m not too concerned about that as it’s under the truck and nowhere near the engine. My pressure will only come up to the low 50’s KOEO, and it’s slow to rise. It drops quick when cranking, to the mid 40’s at idle it will usually come up to 65, but after driving sometimes only 63. The pressure drops hard even with light throttle, 19% throttle yesterday and I lose 5 psi. Half throttle leaves me in the low 50’s. Is the pump going out? It’s been noisier lately, like it’s sucking air or running dry but everything seems to be good, any ideas?

Decker

Reaction score
Check the oring on the cap of the pump could be crack or missing. What size hoses are you running? Also look for any large droops the hose. Buddy had a issue with that sounds like yours. It had a droop next to the trans once straighten pressure went up.

Tx60

Reaction score
I’m running 1/2 inch, the only droops are from the sump to the pump, but I will double check for droops. I can check the o ring tomorrow and make sure it’s seated, I’m running the beans sump, stock return which drips a bit because i just used 3/8 like to bridge the gap. I read there is a valve in the return so I might cap those off too until I run the return through the pump.

Decker

Reaction score
Someone on here had issues with running stock return line. Forgot who but I recommend upgrading to 1/2 return and have a reducer to return on the original draw straw. Just need to bend the original draw straw back so it doesn't interfere with the sump. Then cap the original return. What I have done and hold 70 psi when in winter and 65 psi in summer with oem spring.

Tx60

Reaction score
Are you still using the original hard lines or 1/2 from the regulator all the way back? I’ve been using them until I get the time to run it directly to the regulator

Last edited:

Decker

Reaction score
I have 1/2 hose from regulator to pump and 1/2 from pump back to the top of tank . I use a 3/8 to 1/2 double Barb and a 1 ft section of 3/8 hose that is clamp to original feed line.

Tx60

Reaction score
Ah ok, I think I may just copy you, stock regulator or RR?

sootie

Reaction score
Make sure you have the cap tight on the frame mounted pump. It has a positive stop and takes quite a bit of force to get there.

Decker

Reaction score
I have the stock regulator with oem spring also make sure you bend the original draw straw away from the sump it will cause air bubbles when returning fuel. I believe I bent mine towards back and to left

Tx60

Reaction score
I can’t really picture it in my head, I’m sure it’ll make more sense under the truck. It’s on the top of the tank right?

Decker

Reaction score
Not sure what you are talking about? Im talking about the original pick up tube in the tank.

Tx60

Reaction score
Update for anyone curious, I took the upper filter out and cycled the key a few times, put it back in and pressure rose to 64 quickly and I only drop to low 60’s with big throttle. I think the filter may not have been pressing the check valve enough. Probably going to replace it to be safe.

Latest posts

Members online