1990 Jeep HELP!!!!

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
I know it's not a diesel, but I need some help on a "gasser".

A buddy of mine brought me his 1990 Jeep Wrangler saying when shifting from
1st to 2nd, it would "stumble and cut out." The Jeep sat for about a year in a barn. I said I would look at it for him. We decided it needed a tune up. He ran 3 tanks of premium with injector cleaner, helped a little.

Today, I "rebuilt" the carb, replaced fuel filter and fuel lines, Replaced cap, plugs, and rotor. Fixed the "stumble" from 1st to 2nd. BUT, now when it hits around 40 mph, it seems to cut out rapidly, like it's not getting fuel or air in the fuel. Replaced the vacuum line for the vac advanceand checked the vac advance itself. Vac advance checks good.

Sooooo, what the hell could be causing this? It's not rpm specific, just speed specific. This has me confused as hell and I really need to get this fixed.

PLEASE HELP!!!:fustrate::shrug::cursing::wtf::mad:

Wayne

Reaction score
throw a fuel pressure gauge on it that you can see while it drives. That could eliminate a fuel supply to the carb. issue possibility. it is carburated then?

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
throw a fuel pressure gauge on it that you can see while it drives. That could eliminate a fuel supply to the carb. issue possibility. it is carburated then?

Yeah, 2bbl Carter. Gonna check timing and if that doesn't work, gonna have to pull the carb again.

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
Spent the day working on the Jeep. Adjusted timing and test driving. No dice. Every timing adjustment I made only made things worse, and I actually got stranded when the Jeep died and wouldn't start. Called a buddy who came and picked up my wife and took her to my house to get my truck. I kept messing with it and finally got it to start(still running like crap). Got it home and reset the timing to 16*. Took it for a test drive, still same problem. Runs great until 40 mph and then falls on its face like it's running out of gas, bucking and jerking. If I upshift while it's doing this, it stops and runs fine. Sooo, I'm guessing it's a fuel problem? Plan is to replace fuel pump and do a complete rebuild on the carb. Any other suggestions? Oh, I don't have access to a fuel pressure guage.

Wayne

Reaction score
Use a boost gauge, oil press gauge, or whatever. Just so long as it can handle the pressure. Keep it outside the vehicle &Harlan maybe hold it in place by the windshield wiper blade. Should give you an accurate enough reading. If you don't get the proper info no sense in anyone trying to help beyond recommending what parts to throw at it next.

Latest posts

Members online