4R100 Rebuild Manual for the DIY

TARM

Reaction score
Vander,

Where are you at with the other 7.3 build after the original popped? Is she up and running now? Is there a thread on it to save you posting it all up again if its been done? Figured you would likely take it up a bit maybe mid 600s adding some 400% etc... Still running the GTX? Interested to see the top end of that with larger injectors to get to higher rpms and a waste gate for the turbo.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
I had it running a ling time ago. Ran it for a long time and decided to stick in the 400/400's. Went to go to a pull and cracked a valve. I've been too busy to get it fixed. I want to here soon though.

JD3020

Reaction score
Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't there ways to test out the trans on the bench? If so could somebody do a little write-up on that?

If i ever get myself into my next project truck i'm planning on tackling the trans myself. Should have access to the school machine shop by then which will make it really nice.

TARM

Reaction score
Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't there ways to test out the trans on the bench? If so could somebody do a little write-up on that?

If i ever get myself into my next project truck i'm planning on tackling the trans myself. Should have access to the school machine shop by then which will make it really nice.

That's a great idea why don't you do some research to see how feasible it is or is not. If it is write something up for us to reference.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up, I wish I could have contributed, but you did an awesome job! Oh and quit mucking up your own thread,,,,,:eek:wned::poke::ford:

Wildjon

Reaction score
So upgrades to help a stock 4R100 out...
E4OD cast low/reverse hub and coast clutch drum
Add more clutch packs
Anything else I'm missing?

TARM

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up, I wish I could have contributed, but you did an awesome job! Oh and quit mucking up your own thread,,,,,:eek:wned::poke::ford:

Smart @ss LOL But you understand I am sure :poke:;)

4.0l Sahara,

Thats what first came to mind to me as well.

Here is how to test thru the VB. You should hear a thud as each pack engages from what I understand.

AirPressureTestLocations_zps67834785.gif

1 — Reverse clutch feed
2 — Intermediate clutch feed
3 — Overdrive clutch feed
4 — Forward clutch feed
5 — Coast clutch feed
6 — Direct clutch feed

But to honestly fully test one IMO would take a test stand but maybe I am wrong on this. If so then, unless you are going to be building engines or transmissions I can not see it being worth it unless you just want to do it.

You need a complete 7.3 PCM etc just as if you were going to do a engine test stand. A couple basic gauges, weld up a steel frame to mount the engine into. IDM PCM wiring harness, TPS assembly, batteries, Starter, electric fuel pump and filter setup, gas can. Just off the top of my head maybe missing something or things.

Extend the frame to support the trans at the extension.

You could honestly do this for about $500. Pick up a beater engine that just runs. Maybe one you plan to build up later.

TARM

Reaction score
BTW I found a good PDF that was put together from the writeup[ Racer X originally did ona forum back when he sold all the parts kits to do rebuilds. The one I put up back on page one did not have the pics as they had been removed (the links were broken) . This has all the pics with the proper instruction set to each picture. While there are a number of differences between the E4OD and 4R100 they so close this will be helpful to all.

This is a PDF and to not kill people on page two with all the pics uploading I will just post the link and have it uploaded to the PSA web servers.

Attachments

• E4ODRebuild.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 723

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
I'm not the man in the shop building transmissions but I know Jim the builder always just puts air to it real fast to check the packs and that is it. I don't see the need to go any farther than that.

TARM

Reaction score
Makes sense to me. I am sure no authority on the subject thats for sure. I am happy if I could take one apart and put it back together and not have a box of parts still left over LOL