Smoked tails and 3rd brake light

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
Well, got bored today and decided to smoke my tails and 3rd brake light. I am using the VHT Lens Tint. Hopefully it works out well. Only concern is getting it too dark. Those of you that have done this, how many coats did you use? Some look quite a bit darker than others. I'll post pics later.

Oh, and I'm gonna do the turn signals on the mirrors too.

MINK

Reaction score
The final product - I prefer a base/clear coctail.

Nightshade is easy to use, make sure you're in a well lit area - keep adding coats till you think its dark enough!

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I agree it woks but I wouldn't use it on my superduty.

Just too hard to get it glossy like a factory light

dirtboy25

Reaction score
I had pretty good luck with it. I've heard of a lot of people having trouble with cracking or scaling but to me it's all about prep.

Edit: And these tail lights were done over a year ago.

SAM_0106.jpg

Last edited:

trinity250

Reaction score
I like the look. I have not used it on the taillights just some airbrush work. Would you say the prep to the tail lights is the same as a paint job?

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
Well, it sucks. When I sprayed the clear on them, they turned a dull, thick, ugly, horrid grey. I attempted to strip it off one light, and pretty well destroyed it. Then I got the idea of trying to polish then using the Meguiar's Headlight polishing kit. It worked pretty good on the other light, so I polished the third brake light too and resprayed the one I ruined. Will work for now...ordering new tails now.

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
I will never use it again. Mine came out beautifull, but the state tropers and local cops didnt agree. I got pulled over twice in 3 days. So I took it all off and now my lights look like **** up close.

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
I will never use it again. Mine came out beautifull, but the state tropers and local cops didnt agree. I got pulled over twice in 3 days. So I took it all off and now my lights look like **** up close.

Yeah, I'll never use it again. I was told that it was the clear I used that ruined em.

Agjake11

Reaction score

this is why i did the 08 lights on my old f150. got pulled over by a trooper on 6 and he wrote me 5 non moving violation tickets :lame:

STROKER

Reaction score
i have the Recon smoked Tail lights and 3rd brake light havent been pulled over for them but they are bright as hell with the LEDs

Wright337

Reaction score

The same thing happened to me. They looked great but the local pd said it was not legal so off it came and now I have a set of dull lights.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.