defueling settings

workingdan

Reaction score
Hi guys, newbie here. I am getting my "D kit" Tuesday and installing it soon and want to get some opinions on defueling settings.I will be using a probe from the DEF in the E.. plug in the block ... plate. I have searched and see alot of guys dont use them but I will be towing heavy so I think it will be a good idea. I only use my 2014 F450 for towing my 20K toy hauler and will have my mini maxx set to a pre loaded tow tune. Would like to protect my investment and not have to constantly watch the gauge while Im towing.
Thanks for the info.

EGT:
High coolant:
Low coolant:
Oil Temp:
Trans temp:
Boost psi:

sootie

Reaction score
the tow tune doenst do anything crazy enough to warrant defuels imo...

FordTechChase

Reaction score
No science here just what I've done the few customers trucks I've installed them on and the woman's new ride...cold coolant 150, egt 1300 and come up 50 degrees of they hit that one to much. I think the coolant temp hot is at 240 or 250 on mine right now. Set boost at 45. I see 40-42 regularly on a big tune so raised it just a few over normal. Shouldn't ever be that high with less fuel though.

Not sure if these are safe numbers or not just what I tried to follow on my duramax and what I run on our 6.4. Woman used to give my DMax hell to the point I knew she was going to cook a piston.

sootie

Reaction score
No science here just what I've done the few customers trucks I've installed them on and the woman's new ride...cold coolant 150, egt 1300 and come up 50 degrees of they hit that one to much. I think the coolant temp hot is at 240 or 250 on mine right now. Set boost at 45. I see 40-42 regularly on a big tune so raised it just a few over normal. Shouldn't ever be that high with less fuel though.

Not sure if these are safe numbers or not just what I tried to follow on my duramax and what I run on our 6.4. Woman used to give my DMax hell to the point I knew she was going to cook a piston.

Completely irrelevant info for a 6.7.

workingdan

Reaction score

Thanks

FordTechChase

Reaction score
Completely irrelevant info for a 6.7.

Aside from boost how is everything else irrelevant? Run my Duramax and my 6.4 by the same temp guidelines, didn't have issues with the 6.6 there so I'll stick with it. Unless the 6.7 is a freak of nature and is cool with being beat on when cold, cold temp is a good place to start and who wants to run their 6.7 over 250? But thanks for your contribution to giving the guy some idea of a starting point.

sootie

Reaction score
Aside from boost how is everything else irrelevant? Run my Duramax and my 6.4 by the same temp guidelines, didn't have issues with the 6.6 there so I'll stick with it. Unless the 6.7 is a freak of nature and is cool with being beat on when cold, cold temp is a good place to start and who wants to run their 6.7 over 250? But thanks for your contribution to giving the guy some idea of a starting point.

for a number of reasons, your info is BS. Firstly, if his turbo goes anywhere near 45psi, it is going to have issues. Secondly, the temps run much hotter on 6.7s and he is going to hit defuel if it is set at 230 oil temp.

Good call on picking the cold coolant temp to make a grand statement about..you're pretty safe there. Doesn't matter what motor, at least 150-170 on cold coolant setting.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
IMO but I like to set them low so it warns me before something goes wrong.

EGT: 1300
High coolant: 220
Low coolant: 180
Oil Temp: 220
Trans temp: 220
Boost psi: I had mine set at 42 on my 6.4 but I think more like 28-30 is safer or the 6.7

workingdan

Reaction score
I appreciate your input. Dont understand the problem. This is my first post on this forum but i have learned to weed out the good and bad info. I asked for suggestions and you gave me some.
Thanks

sootie

Reaction score
I appreciate your input. Dont understand the problem. This is my first post on this forum but i have learned to weed out the good and bad info. I asked for suggestions and you gave me some.
Thanks

Lol...methinks you have it backwards....

Spend some time on this forum -there is a lot of good info. Some of us have blown up more motors than others will ever own. I would be hesitant to listen to guys that broadbrush across different platforms and manufacturers.

workingdan

Reaction score
Lol...methinks you have it backwards....

Spend some time on this forum -there is a lot of good info. Some of us have blown up more motors than others will ever own. I would be hesitant to listen to guys that broadbrush across different platforms and manufacturers.
Well the problem i have is you have given me nothing and he has. You just seem to be an asshole. Thsnks for nothing.

sootie

Reaction score
So incorrect info is better than none at all?? Have a great day-some are beyond help...

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Sootie is calling bullshti on the misinformation. That's it, nothin asshole about it. Like he said, do some reading and you will see your info posted. 160 seems to be the general consensus on the cold temp and then I saw 190 posted the other day. Your stock turbo will cease to live much past 30 for too long. Reading posts by others will give you this info, but also just as important, will be the conditions for when these numbers are good.

Jomax

Reaction score
I would have it defuel at 250degree oil temp, nothing lower.

It was 114 degrees in AZ and my oil temp on the highway was 210 UNLOADED.

I see 230 oil temp towing on a slight incline regularly. They run hotter, but nothing to worry about.

For boost, I can't help ya, I have a 2015 and the turbo is completely different, I do know your turbo can't handle high boost at all. You definitely don't want to see 30+ ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Hi guys, newbie here. I am getting my "D kit" Tuesday and installing it soon and want to get some opinions on defueling settings.I will be using a probe from the DEF in the E.. plug in the block ... plate. I have searched and see alot of guys dont use them but I will be towing heavy so I think it will be a good idea. I only use my 2014 F450 for towing my 20K toy hauler and will have my mini maxx set to a pre loaded tow tune. Would like to protect my investment and not have to constantly watch the gauge while Im towing.
Thanks for the info.

EGT:
High coolant:
Low coolant:
Oil Temp:
Trans temp:
Boost psi:
The only difference between the levels on a minimax are in the top 25-30% of the pulse width table. So unless you have your foot on the floor defuels will do nothing.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Unless I'm completely wrong and the shift on the fly is different between platforms.

workingdan

Reaction score
Thanks Jomax.
Jonnydime, there may be times that I will be on a long climb and be in the top 25% so I want to be sure im covered.

Latest posts

Members online