Carrier King Trailer re-build

smcox1

Reaction score
So I might as well start a thread here on a trailer I just picked up. It's an 80's carrier king 8'x18' tandem dual 22,000 pound gooseneck trailer. Found it on craigslist for $2250 told the guy I would give him $1500 only seeing a couple of pictures of it and figured it looked good enough to make a three hour trip to buy it.
Craigslist picture
trailer%20project_zpszffzmm6h.jpg

It actually looked super rusty in pictures but after I was able to look at it in person turns out it was just really dirty.
30 minutes after picking it up
temporary_zps1ynrjfne.jpg

So I ran it to the car wash and left about 200 pounds of mud in the bay my guess is that it was never washed in the 11 years this guy owned it. LOL
temporary_zpsk1y5qgap.jpg

It's made out of 15.3 pound 10" c channel with a 3" wood deck on top of 4" c channel on 24" centers.

Things it needs or I want
-New tires
-Spare tire and rim
-New wiring
-Led lights
-Add marker lights down the side
-Straighten the sides
-Add a rub rail with stake pockets and chain tubes
-Add a couple of feet to the back and a 5' dovetail
-Paint it lime green
-New deck or flip the deck over because it's 3" rough lumber
-50" led light bar facing the deck

I'm sure there are some things I'm missing and my list is mostly my wants as you could throw some tires on it new 4" lights and go to work.
This is what I'm wanting the final product to look like.
Lime%20green%20load%20trail%20trailer_zpsotzcugak.jpg

I will be updating this as I go along.

smcox1

Reaction score
No need for dual landing gear I might put a couple underbody boxes near the front and if I went with the ratchet straps I would like to do the sliding track version.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Slides with ratchets are nice, but you have to go with the 4" ones which cost more than the 2" ones but do work nicely.

I prefer the dual jacks just for stability, but that is just personal preference.

smcox1

Reaction score
I would definitely go with the 4" ones. I have dual jacks on my show cattle trailer and it has a LQ in the front so they help keep it stable but IMO on a flatbed trailer there's really no need for them as I've never left a trailer loaded and unhooked.

smcox1

Reaction score
I've never seen one in person even on the interwebs there aren't that many pictures. I want it to stick out like a sore thumb who wants to blend in? LOL

smcox1

Reaction score
So I haven't done anything to the trailer just used it a little and I think I want to put a hydraulic dovetail on it. For those who have had them how do you like them? Also if you could post some underside pictures it would be greatly appreciated! I think I have a good grasp on how to build one but would like some more pictures as there aren't that many pictures of how they're made on the internet.

Latest posts

Members online