Aftermarket Trans Builder?

HobbyStock62

Reaction score
Kinda getting ready for when it goes...fluid is still nice and clean but it doesnt shift all that consistent and slips into 6th quite often (jumps up about 400-500rpm before getting into gear).
Im not looking to do anything crazy with this truck at all, just make it a reliable driver and tow pig. Dont plan to go any further than I am now with exhaust, derletes, and tunes. Is midwest diesel a good place to go for a trans? Looks like it would be in the 5k mark for the trans and converter. Any recommendations or people who have experience with other builders? Or just stick a Ford reman unit in it?

sootie

Reaction score
They are pretty much the most proven. Other options include Warren Diesel.

HobbyStock62

Reaction score
Or just a ford reman? Dont plan to do anything more than where im at power wise. Just a good tune and ******s.

Black AOD

Reaction score
Have Midwest Or Warren do a stock + rebuild with better clutches (Raybestos GPZ) and if you need to update the converter, do the Ford HD one. The Suncoast and PI units are nice but very expensive and for basic dleets, not worth the cost. Otherwise it should be fine.

Black AOD

Reaction score
What about mpd's stage one trans? Looks like a solid option rated to 750 and less money then a suncost.

Not a fan of the fact that they use Red Alto clutches personally....never had good luck with those clutches, they tend not to hold up well. I know many others who have had issues as well.

Also.....MPD not so long ago used to talk about how stock 6R140s could take 1000+ rwhp...that's funny to me because now they offer the stage 1 6R140 options now rated for 750HP.

:lame:

doo dah

Reaction score
I have a full Suncoast 750 unit. Billet flex plate, billet converter, and all their other mods. It isn't the most comfortable daily trans but it will last for a very long time. Definitely puts power to the ground. I have stock fuel with an S363 and TSD tuning that put 585 to the wheels.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I had more issues with Midwest trans til I had them refund me. Running MPD now and its night and day difference

Black AOD

Reaction score
I have a full Suncoast 750 unit. Billet flex plate, billet converter, and all their other mods. It isn't the most comfortable daily trans but it will last for a very long time. Definitely puts power to the ground. I have stock fuel with an S363 and TSD tuning that put 585 to the wheels.

Not comfortable for daily? Does it shift harshly??

I have a fully built Warren Diesel 6R in my truck and I drive it every day and every single person that rides in my truck cant even tell my trans is modified.

Hell, my wife tells me my new trans shifts better than my stock one ever did and smoother too.

doo dah

Reaction score
Not comfortable for daily? Does it shift harshly??

I have a fully built Warren Diesel 6R in my truck and I drive it every day and every single person that rides in my truck cant even tell my trans is modified.

Hell, my wife tells me my new trans shifts better than my stock one ever did and smoother too.

So overall shifting isn't bad, actually it is perfect the issue is in traffic. I drive about 20 miles to work and it generally takes me about an hour every day so lots of stop and go traffic which puts me in 1-2-3 and lock unlock on the converter. My TC is so strong lock up feels like another shift point in the trans so it just makes for a rowdy downshifts from 3-2 and up 2-3. I typically go manual mode and keep it in 2nd to prevent the harshness or I drive so slow that 90 cars cut in front of me and I piss off everyone behind me. I am really happy with the transmission and it may just be the TSD tune is more biased towards drag/pull but I'm not going to try anyone else at this point.

Black AOD

Reaction score
So overall shifting isn't bad, actually it is perfect the issue is in traffic. I drive about 20 miles to work and it generally takes me about an hour every day so lots of stop and go traffic which puts me in 1-2-3 and lock unlock on the converter. My TC is so strong lock up feels like another shift point in the trans so it just makes for a rowdy downshifts from 3-2 and up 2-3. I typically go manual mode and keep it in 2nd to prevent the harshness or I drive so slow that 90 cars cut in front of me and I piss off everyone behind me. I am really happy with the transmission and it may just be the TSD tune is more biased towards drag/pull but I'm not going to try anyone else at this point.

Interesting. My Warren unit has a PI billet quad disc converter and I have TSD tuning as well and I drive 60+ miles a day for work if not closer to 100 miles a day. I have no issues like what you just stated at all.

doo dah

Reaction score
Interesting. My Warren unit has a PI billet quad disc converter and I have TSD tuning as well and I drive 60+ miles a day for work if not closer to 100 miles a day. I have no issues like what you just stated at all.

I am local to TSD so I had Chris B Dyno tune it and he felt it shifted very well which it does in normal traffic, just doesn't seem to like going from 0 to 20 and back to 0 constantly for 20 miles straight. Not unhappy with it and I'm nowhere close to the 750hp it was built for. Might be the 2nd gear lock up?

jcain

Reaction score

On stock 12 fuel? No it didn't.