First start after injectors and delete

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Hey ya'll. just wanted to see if there was something i should expect for a first start after injectors and delete. Truck sat for a few months during the rebuild. Tried to get some turns on it last night, but my batteries werent charged to par. So after 4-5 seconds of turn over and no start, i started to smell what i thought was the starter getting hot. Maybe just low batteries causing this?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Usually when you pull the oil rails its going to take a few crank rest cycles to get it primed and started. Then its going to run rough for a bit till it works all the air out. Try cranking for no more then 15 sec then give it a 1 minute break. keep doing this till it starts 4-5 cycles usually. When I rebuilt my engine I ended up having to remove the serpentine belt because the engine was not turning over fast enough, so if you cant get it started try that also.

Derkperk

Reaction score
I took forever to get mine to fire after head gaskets. Killed the batteries twice. I even tried to prime the rails by filling the oil through the filter housing.

sent using tapatalk because my iPone died

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Did you get any smells or hazing? Thats all im worried about really.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
I dont remember any smells, it was a while ago. How long did you crank for? take any breaks in between? Was it cranking fast like normal or slow?

06-sixoh

Reaction score
It wasnt fast. The batteries were just about dead. Maybe 4-5 seconds cranking before it finally quit.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Ok, 4-5 seconds shouldn't have heated up the starter that much. I assume you have the batteries charging to try again today? The haze is probably from it sitting for so long.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Yes i do. Charged one battery all night. The second battery I put on the charger this morning before leaving for work. Hopefully I get a fire tonight. Erm... Not like flames though.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
cycle the key 2 times, crank 15 seconds rest for 45sec-1min, crank 15 seconds, rest....you ge the point. We have had some crank on the second crank, and we have had some take 5 or 6 cycles, if you hvea a monitor or something, always good to watch the ICP build as your cranking.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
That or watch the oil pressure gauge. It will shoot up when it's getting pressure built.

Derkperk

Reaction score
You should see the low pressure oil gauge on the dash come up as you are cranking.

sent using tapatalk because my iPone died

Bobby@MPD

Reaction score
it also may start after 10-15 seconds of cranking then shut off just start cranking again....after it starts let it run for a bit....after you shut it off it may take a little for it to start again, its normal so don't worry

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Update...

Got home with fresh batteries. Tried to crank it, and its acting like it had a dead battery. Doesnt click or anything. Im thinking i toasted the starter? Im going to try and give it a few taps see if it will turn.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
I defitnately have a no crank situation. If i didnt hate jumping the starter so much, i would do it to make sure the truck wasnt locked up. Any suggestions guys?

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Whats the beat way to bar the engine over on this truck? Do i need to pull the fan and put a nut on the stud... That whole song and dance? Or is there an easier way im just not seeing?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Is there not a bolt holding the crankshaft pulley on?

Edit:nevermind, there is not. It uses four bolts torqued to 50 or 60 lb ft....

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
You miiiight be able to turn it with a strap wrench. A chain wrench would but it could also damage the balancer(pulley). You can make a open end crowsfoot wrench that would span the four bolts and turn that with a long breaker bar.