Help. Truck shutdown on the side if the road.

sagebel

Reaction score
Headed home camper in tow. Got the wrench followed by reduced engine power, followed by the stop safely now and then the truck shut down when I stopped. Trying to pull codes with the MM but it won't communicate. Currently running DPF on tuning.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Headed home camper in tow. Got the wrench followed by reduced engine power, followed by the stop safely now and then the truck shut down when I stopped. Trying to pull codes with the MM but it won't communicate. Currently running DPF on tuning.
oh ***!! thats all I got.. sorry man... im curious to to see what ya find.

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
only thing I can think of is pull the battery cables off for a while then hook back up. dont know if thats an old school trick or if it still works to reset the brain box...

live life full throttle

sagebel

Reaction score
Made it home. I set the truck back to stock and everything cleared. Couldn't reproduce the conditions or the problem. I thought it was going to be a probe but I drove the last 115 miles home without a problem. When the problem happened, Pyro 2 was all over the place jumping to values anywhere between 0 and 6000+. I was pulling some moderate hills at the time with the cruise control set. I wonder if the probe starting acting funny after it got over a certain temp. I only got it up to 1060 once on the way home. The hills that I had the problem on where much larger than the one I hit 1060 on.

I'll mess with it more once we get unpacked or sometime this week.

Might be time to pull some piping out if the shed.

sagebel

Reaction score
Is that what it's called now? I still want to figure out what happened. I may need to pass testing depending on where the Navy moves me again.

Jesse_01

Reaction score
Made it home. I set the truck back to stock and everything cleared. Couldn't reproduce the conditions or the problem. I thought it was going to be a probe but I drove the last 115 miles home without a problem. When the problem happened, Pyro 2 was all over the place jumping to values anywhere between 0 and 6000+. I was pulling some moderate hills at the time with the cruise control set. I wonder if the probe starting acting funny after it got over a certain temp. I only got it up to 1060 once on the way home. The hills that I had the problem on where much larger than the one I hit 1060 on.

I'll mess with it more once we get unpacked or sometime this week.

Might be time to pull some piping out if the shed.
Pygo 2 would be your egt sensor on your exhaust going south. That would explain why they would be all over the map and why it would shut down the truck.

sagebel

Reaction score
I'll take a look at the MM instructions tomorrow. I might need to turn it all the way up and hammer on it to get to the magic temp that shut me down today. Knowing the truck was going to shut off and not restart with the trailer hooked up was not a good feeling.

Jesse_01

Reaction score
I'll take a look at the MM instructions tomorrow. I might need to turn it all the way up and hammer on it to get to the magic temp that shut me down today. Knowing the truck was going to shut off and not restart with the trailer hooked up was not a good feeling.
Yeah, could always delete it and not worry lol. Its probably your #1 or #2 egt sensor on the exhaust.

sagebel

Reaction score
Does anyone have a P/N for the EGT sensors in the DPF? I haven't found the issue yet but I figure I need a spare and then I can compare resistance values and maybe pinpoint the problem.

Jesse_01

Reaction score
Does anyone have a P/N for the EGT sensors in the DPF? I haven't found the issue yet but I figure I need a spare and then I can compare resistance values and maybe pinpoint the problem.
There was an article or post about the values they need to be. If a sensor is intermittently failing it will be tough to track down without a code.

sagebel

Reaction score
I expect to see the same values when they are cold so I'll probably have to wait until it happens again and hope it throws a code. I want a spare onboard when this happens.

Latest posts

Members online