What Do You Tow?

RedRice589

Reaction score
I guess I look at it differently....for the people who don't have a CDL, if they are maxing out the capabilities of the truck and trailer, they can remain legal (such a F250 with single wheel dual axle GN grossing 25500 and rated to 25900) but if they have F450 with dual tandam GN (grossing 25,500) which is obviously more capable, they are illegal without a CDL. That being said, when I asked the DOT about it, they gave the same answer as you and did say it would be harder to catch the people who did pull a load over 26k. Some states let you rate your truck or trailer lower than the sticker so you can get under 26k.....my state doesn't. Obviously, I like allowing you to lower it personally, but I do get your point.

Lol it's always for protection of the state you know. We have to think about it because of the horses lol

Emery19

Reaction score
At that time, Corb was not driving commercially....he had no numbers, etc. He was even towing his own vehicle.

this is what prompted me to ask the question. thats why i was confused as hell.

Keep in mind, whether you require a CDL has nothing to do with the weight you are towing (that is universal in all states), it is based on the weight RATING. In other words, it is illegal to drive my truck and GN trailer without a Class A CDL even when it is empty cause the GCWR is over 26k....to me, that is STUPID but it is the law.

really? I didn;t know that to be honest. well i lie, i kinda knew that. but i forgot to factor in the trailer. luckily i don't tow to to much stuff thats heavy. i don't have a gooseneck hitch either..yet.. i guess i'll have to do some more research.

I appreciate all the help/responses guys!

B585Ford

Reaction score
this is what prompted me to ask the question. thats why i was confused as hell.

really? I didn;t know that to be honest. well i lie, i kinda knew that. but i forgot to factor in the trailer. luckily i don't tow to to much stuff thats heavy. i don't have a gooseneck hitch either..yet.. i guess i'll have to do some more research.

I appreciate all the help/responses guys!

Corb is the only time I have ever heard of that....maybe the DOT officer was just giving him a hard time....IDK, but I can say Corb is straight shooter so if he says something, you can take it to the bank it is true. I am sure Will knows him since I think he was taking the truck to Rudy's so I am sure he can vouch Corb's character.

Emery19

Reaction score
Corb is the only time I have ever heard of that....maybe the DOT officer was just giving him a hard time....IDK, but I can say Corb is straight shooter so if he says something, you can take it to the bank it is true. I am sure Will knows him since I think he was taking the truck to Rudy's so I am sure he can vouch Corb's character.

i wasn't doubting corb. sorry i tend to have the conversation in my head and only relay some information. i figured at the time corb wasn't driving commercial cuz i was pretty sure he sold his 450 before he started hotshotting, which is why it confused me why hed even get bothered by dot. which is what prompted this whole conversation LOL hopefully that makes sense.

B585Ford

Reaction score
i wasn't doubting corb. sorry i tend to have the conversation in my head and only relay some information. i figured at the time corb wasn't driving commercial cuz i was pretty sure he sold his 450 before he started hotshotting, which is why it confused me why hed even get bothered by dot. which is what prompted this whole conversation LOL hopefully that makes sense.

Yeah, that was before he started hot shotting

durflinger92

Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1408583931043.jpg

DTL

Reaction score
My CUCV quit on me the other day, on the way to the dump. That'll be a fun project, fixing it's new issues. :fustrate: Scale lady said the whole mess weighed right at 22k lbs.

photo3_zpsa4bd19c3.png

vcassens

Reaction score
How many of you guys with duel tandem trailers are pulling them without class A cdl? The reason I ask is because I am looking into getting a duel tandem trailer but a few people I no around hear have been stopped and checked and one of them has a court date for not having the class A and he was empty when he got stopped.

SAK

Reaction score
I don't have mine, but it helps that all I haul is farm equipment, so most of the time dot doesn't mess with me.

But yes they can pull you over(in Texas anyway) and give you a ticket for not having a cdl license if your capacity is gcwr is 26,001+. They look at it as you could potentially haul that much so they want to stop it from happening.

durflinger92

Reaction score
I have a class b and never had any troubles but it's mostly for farm use and rarely go out of state (IL)

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
Every states different, which makes it twice as hard to play by the rules.

Yup, here a I know guy got pulled over and they gave him a nice big fine, storage box on the front of the trailer in-between the rails for the chains and binders didn't have a lid. Never came with one from the factory. Tried to tell them that but they didn't care

vcassens

Reaction score
Yup, here a I know guy got pulled over and they gave him a nice big fine, storage box on the front of the trailer in-between the rails for the chains and binders didn't have a lid. Never came with one from the factory. Tried to tell them that but they didn't care
That's some bs. I am in Illinois and they also go buy the raiting on the truck and trailer combined. I will find out Monday if I am approved for the 25+5 Elite with a 24500 pound raiting so I guess I will start studying up on the class A cdl lol. I already have a class B cdl with air brakes can anyone tell me what is involved in upping to an A?

Fly By Night

Reaction score
In Colorado the only difference would be combination. You would need to take your practical test with a tractor and trailer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk