Swapping Tpms sensors

ckrueg

Reaction score
So my dad offered to trade me his OEM 20s from the 6.4 for my 18s from my 2016. I have forscan and was wondering if I could use it to switch the sensors. I want to keep tpms, just need to change the psi/sensors

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mikeeg02

Reaction score

griz700rocket

Reaction score
2013 Sensors that were built into the stem would not program on my 08 that had factory band style. Bought some cheap stem design off amazon that said they work for 08+ and they worked great.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
2013 Sensors that were built into the stem would not program on my 08 that had factory band style. Bought some cheap stem design off amazon that said they work for 08+ and they worked great.

Good info. I didnt know there was a difference. My '12 has them on the stem, I also ordered a set of "OEM" stem type ones off amazon, I think I got 4 for the price the dealer could get me one. And that was with my account!

ckrueg

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 2010 sensors will program to my 2016? The 6.4 has the system turned off via h&s. I'm wanting to keep them active in my 2016, but if it's a lot of work I'll just shut them off with forscan

ckrueg

Reaction score
Ok well I did some digging and it looks like in 09 or 10 they switched to the stem style. Luckily I'd be taking them off a 2010 so I'm guessing they are the new style. I even checked fordparts.com and the part numbers were identical. Also it appears the new style can be reprogrammed without a tool, using only the method described in the manual.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Yea I believe the manual says you go through the same proceedure, then air the tires down, air them up. And so on. The tpms tool is just a click away. Was worth it to me.

ckrueg

Reaction score
Ok, I just wanted to be able to try it in my driveway tomorrow. No time to wait for a tool to ship lol

ckrueg

Reaction score
Well I attempted the method in the manual and it didn't work. I might try again this weekend with the tool. Mikeeg02, what year did you have to reprogram?

mikeeg02

Reaction score
My truck is a '12. I know the manual says deflating the tires, inflating the tires, blah blah blah. But if its not fast enough, it wont trigger the sensor. Hence the trigger tool I listed previously. You go through the same routine, but instead of deflating and inflating tires, you use the trigger tool. Was super simple.

ckrueg

Reaction score
Well I can confirm the tool worked flawlessly on my 2016 using 2010 sensors.

ckrueg

Reaction score
Yep. I also used the procedure you linked, not the one described in the owners manual

Latest posts

Members online