Accessory belt, tensioner, and pulleys

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
^ This is about right, it pays about 3 hours, typical around me is 100-120per hour. Then you add in the cost of parts, and 800 comes real quick.

b.knight0926

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I got into it last weekend, but couldn't get to one of the idler pulleys or get the belt off without removing the fan. I guess I'll be trying to find the tools needed to get the fan off since that is the cheaper route.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
i did all mine without removing the fan. belts, tensioners, and idlers.

hook teh belt over a few fan blades and spin the fan and work it around that way.

takes some doinking around, buts its very doable.

me2

Reaction score
I replaced the alternator in my truck a couple weeks ago. Had to obviously loosen the belt to do this. WTF were they thinking putting the tightener where they did ? It was easy to get to on the 7.3s ! Everything was easier to get to on the 7.3s.

If you get stuck doing this job, pull the passenger wheel and fenderwell off. It gives better access to the tensioner.

My tensioner isn't great. I should have replaced it when I did the alternator, but I didn't have time and parts to do it.

b.knight0926

Reaction score
Well I got it done. Had some help but basically unbolted the CAC pipe and pushed out of the way. I already had a new tensioner on there so just had to get to the idler pulleys and the belt. I got to the tensioner from underneath to take the slack off the belt then cut it and pulled it out. Got to the pulleys from the area where the CAC sits. I took the connector for the fan out of the shroud, the tough part is getting the new belt in. I had to loop it over the fan blades as I spun the fan from underneath, then routed it from the top and bottom and I was done! definitely a 2 man job.

Latest posts

Members online