Starter- Powermaster or Denso?

purpleheart350

Reaction score
01 7.3 Ex, I just replaced the starter not even three months ago with auto parts lifetime reman warranty crap. My wife drives my truck once a week just to keep her moving (I'm out of the country), and now she has to get under to tap on starter solenoid to get it to start. I have looked around and mean green sounds nice but not for the price compared to Powermaster 9051 ($246) or the Denso TG228000-8420 ($310). I have also heard that Napa has a "good" one but right now I am tired of parts stores stuff. So which one should I go with?

While I am at it I also want to replace the crappy lead clamp battery cables with some good metal clamp cables, any ideas where to get some?

Jomax

Reaction score
I'd stick with a ford starter. For cables, are you wanting to replace the positive cables?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liquidlounge

Reaction score
01 7.3 Ex, I just replaced the starter not even three months ago with auto parts lifetime reman warranty crap. My wife drives my truck once a week just to keep her moving (I'm out of the country), and now she has to get under to tap on starter solenoid to get it to start. I have looked around and mean green sounds nice but not for the price compared to Powermaster 9051 ($246) or the Denso TG228000-8420 ($310). I have also heard that Napa has a "good" one but right now I am tired of parts stores stuff. So which one should I go with?

While I am at it I also want to replace the crappy lead clamp battery cables with some good metal clamp cables, any ideas where to get some?

To me, CRAP/Chinese replacement parts are a huge issue. The problem is exacerbated on older pick-ups like these because they last long and/or people tend to keep them for years (like me!). My first starter lasts 13 years and I went through 3 in a year until I got a good one. I hear this same story over and over with alternators, water pumps etc. Once your truck starts getting full of Doorman parts and the like, you better start praying every time you turn the key. Can't someone in the aftermarket offer a replacement that rivals what originally came on the truck??!!

liquidlounge

Reaction score
BTW- I would gladly pay a premium price for a premium replacement part. My nuts draw up every time I see Made in China on a Motorcraft part, so needless to say it looks like I got cat nuts. Back to your original question; IMO, a quality rebuilt OEM starter would be far superior to a new Chinese starter. Finding a "quality rebuild" may be tough though!

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Denso. Have had mine for 4 or 5 years. It even survived being loose for a month before it literally fell off. Still good to go

Swaan

Reaction score
Denso in my obs and it sure turns over great.
Best starter and best quality

Swaan

Reaction score
Denso is not cheap chinese stuff. Japan stuff is great.

Honda , toyota, ect ect . Some of the most dependable vehicles around .

TARM

Reaction score
denso is the only one I have seen consistent reliability and perf from over the last 15yrs

ja_cain

Reaction score
Where where you guys when I was looking for starter recommendations? Lol! I went with a parts store one and had my old one rebuilt as a backup. I do remember someone suggesting the denso unit though. It only takes about 15 minutes to change out the starter with a few tools.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
For the OBS guys that need a starter, you should switch over to a SD one. The SD ones have more cranking power. The SD starter is a Mitsubishi (Japanese) style starter.

http://www.powerstrokenation.com/fo...e/82363-7-3-super-duty-starter-installed.html

PB290092_zpsckp9jtjb.jpg

PB290094_zpsoy6t3wkr.jpg

PB290096_zpskwegbtak.jpg

Billy T.
[email protected]

psduser1

Reaction score

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
That Motorcraft starter is brand new not a reman as well. Have had to replace a couple lately and ford currently doesn't offer a reman starter. Wonder if they were having issues.

TARM

Reaction score
Just to confirm on the Ford Motorcraft OEM replacment starters: Its manf by Mitsubishi Electric ? Does it then show its made in Japan? That is what is critical here IMO.

Ford has made a large shift over the last 10 or so years with its OEM replacment parts. Use to be if the OEM part that can on the new vechile was made in the USA the motorcraft part was very high likelihood to also be made in USA. Now though most are made in China or Mex if they can do it. Once its no longer a real OEM Ford is no longer bound to the reg of having a certain % to be made in USA. They then cut bait and run for bottom dollar.

Reaction score
I have a heavy duty diesel electric place I've done business with for years. Take my fleet business there. When the China made Denso knockoff came out he practically gave me one. A year later I was back with it cranking slow. Bearings out. Rebuilt it for me with good bearings for free. Another year goes by, more problems. He gives me a NEW Mitsubishi (says the price is now competitive again) Rebuilds the Denso knockoff again and gives it to me next time I come by. The China Denso is under the bench. I MIGHT give it to someone that was broke down and stranded LOL. The Mitsubishi's lasted and worked great, this one is now couple years old and I don't even think about it.

Reaction score
Another thing that always bothered me about the Denso style (actual or knockoff) is the added weight and offset design. The block to trans adapter plate is cast and not all that thick in the starter area. I've never heard of it cracking but I could sure see it happening.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I just replaced my denso knockoff (world power systems) starter with the denso and night and day difference. The denso knockoff lasted me one and a half years which is about 15000 miles. Local starter shop said the knockoffs are garbage and was surprised mine lasted as long as it did. My knockoff had missing teeth on it and the rest were all rounded off. Looked and the ring gear and it looks like new.

Latest posts

Members online