2008 f250 external trans filter or internal??

fubolislif22

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been researching for hours and cant seem to find a confident answer, I have a job 1 f250 with a build date of 05/07 (on inner door sticker), oasis report said this on the build date (Production Date 28-MAY-07 Warranty Start Date 29-AUG-07). I noticed my trans fluid was low and figured it was time to do a pan flush with new filters.

Where on the truck would my external trans filter be? right under the pan with 4 trans lines running into it? I've look and do not seem to see anything under the pan of the truck, other people have stated its somewhere on the passenger side but I am having no luck locating it. I bought the truck 4 months ago so I'm not sure if maybe the previous owner had the external filter removed or not. Can anyone tell by the pictures if I have an external filter on this truck or has it been ******d?? If this is the case do I just need to change out the internal filter (is there a part number for this?)

I've already got a box of fordmoco fluid, just stumped on where to located this external filter if I even have one!

BTW: I think most of the oil down here is from the CCV mod, I need to re-route.
Thanks guys,

Attachments

• trans1.JPG
    trans1.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

fubolislif22

Reaction score
Here are some more pics of the lines, does it look like I have only an internal filter?

Anyone know the part number for this

Attachments

• trans 2.JPG
    trans 2.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 57
  • trans3.JPG
    trans3.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 54

fubolislif22

Reaction score
Do I possibly have an updated 08 trans pan, that takes the newer transmission filter. should I upload a picture of my pan?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
You do not have an external filter. I believe the external filters were only on job 1 450-550 trucks. Dont see too many with the filter on them. If you had it, it would be bolted t the bottom 2 bell housing bolts, and be a black canister with 4 lines on it.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Looks like the right filter. Pan gasket is a toss up. It is a reuseable gasket, but if you see any issues like nicks or tears, you ought to replace it.

fubolislif22

Reaction score
Looks like the right filter. Pan gasket is a toss up. It is a reuseable gasket, but if you see any issues like nicks or tears, you ought to replace it.

Thank you for the input, much appreciated! I'm glad I finally got that out of the way so I can flush out the trans and put in some new fluid and a filter.

What do you think about putting Mercon SP into transfer cases? I've read mixed reviews... Any suggestions for the front and rear?

Black AOD

Reaction score
You do not have an external filter. I believe the external filters were only on job 1 450-550 trucks. Dont see too many with the filter on them. If you had it, it would be bolted t the bottom 2 bell housing bolts, and be a black canister with 4 lines on it.

Wrong. My 03/07 Manf. Job 1 F350 has an external trans filter.

Reaction score
My 08 job 1 F250 that I had definitely had the external filter and the screen in the pan. It was right below the bell housing by the engine oil pan. But based on your pictures, it looks like yours does not have the external filter.

jus10keith

Reaction score
I'm not 100% certain as to what it is, but my 2008 Job 2 F250 has some sort of filter type housing/canister up towards the front of the passenger side frame rail near the bumper. It's about 3" long and about that diameter. I could be way off base as to what it is, but it seems to me that it had a line that ran up to the cooler in front of the radiator. I don't have any pics, but can get them if needed.

Latest posts

Members online