what to look at when considering buying a used 11???

slc6oh

Reaction score
So guy i work with is lookin to financially down size from his cclb lariat 2011, fully optioned truck. (factory nav, moonroof ect) hes asking 32k, has 120k miles... been "negotiating" the last couple weeks and says he will give me 21k for my truck and i can trade him wheels/tires so i keep what i just bought. its been ******d the last year or so and drives maybe 10mi a day.

truck has supposedly had a radiator and turbo by previous to him owner...

what else should i look at?

what dates is the glow plug problem a concern?

Codydiesel

Reaction score
11s it not just a glow plug issue it's a valve issue with lack of heat treatment on them causeing cracks and possible failure. I usually tell 11 owners to think about changing the valves or heads out before failure happens. Turbo is another weak point even if it's been replaced with the updated 13-14 turbo. Check the oil pan since on 11s they were plastic.

slc6oh

Reaction score
So its for sure got the updated turbo, was there a recall on the valves? Late 10' is its build date

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slc6oh

Reaction score
95ae38f203b24c3b385decefe7660f6f.jpg

Codydiesel

Reaction score
The turbo looks new but still expect to change it out as the new ones still fail regularly. Well 11 cab and chassis trucks had a tsb for none heat treated valves and glow plug issues. The pickups didn't because they ran at cooler temps but the c&c heads and pick ups are they same. So they are just as capable of getting bad valves and as miles go up I see more pickups dropping valves.

sootie

Reaction score
My reg cab was a jan 11 build and had valves fail at 203k

Religious maintenance, bone stock.

slc6oh

Reaction score
yeah, price is definatly nothing to get overly excited about, as really its pretty average for here in Utah. The Thing leaning me towards doing it is that he'll take mine for what I would sell it for if I was to try and sell it...

Like my 6.0, lots of time and all getting it to where its at, an have no issues with it, but newer is nicer. really just buying navigation,a backup cam and a factory gooseneck. the rest the truck is just coming with it... well and ac seats would be bitchin too. haha

Buck1

Reaction score
Mine failed at 273k. I would take the advice given and plan on doing a head job.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

slc6oh

Reaction score
While not this 11' we were talking about- but a 12+ will happen eventually... hows the aftertreatment and e g r systems on these things? Theres obviously more power to be had with it all gone, but are they problematic? Nox sensors, def dosers, def pumps, e g r causing stuff to fail from over buildup of carbon ect? If i could get away without putting it on a diet if i didnt need to right away thatd be cool.

Also couple local than have put theirs on diets said fuel econ went down after?

sootie

Reaction score
they are actually quite reliable. Have been issues in the past with egt sensors causing a no start etc but there was a tsb about it and now it just puts it in limp mode. I had my def pump/heater crap out at 90k miles. Egr will clog with major idle time but in the main, not that problematic. Certainly not prone to cracking like 6.0/6.4. My fuel econ went down by about 60 miles per tank, post diet. That is same driving conditions, temp, terrain and throttle input. All flat highway on cruise.

I dont worry for a second about running emission equipment on them. I put my deepeef back on actually. Sick of the noise and smell.

The most guys claim is 1-2 mpg gain with the diet. not worth it imo esp since i didnt experience it.

Dont get me wrong, the extra power was nice and not adding def was convenient but for me, the juice wasnt worth the squeeze.

Over all, it is not cancer to your truck to run with emissions on like it was in previous models.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Sweet, yea and def im sure i can get my hands on for free whenever id need it... how much def we talkin? A tank every 5000mi or so? Or what?

sootie

Reaction score
Sweet, yea and def im sure i can get my hands on for free whenever id need it... how much def we talkin? A tank every 5000mi or so? Or what?

i seem to recall topping up at roughly each oil change...

JRLott

Reaction score
I hadn't heard about them not improving post weight loss. Mine went from 13.97 to 15.31. Improvement? Yes. Significant? Not really. Ever pay for itself in fuel and DEF savings? Yes...one day...far far away. More fun? Yes. Would I do it again? Yes. Make fun of you for not? Nope.

Jomax

Reaction score
I hadn't heard about them not improving post weight loss. Mine went from 13.97 to 15.31. Improvement? Yes. Significant? Not really. Ever pay for itself in fuel and DEF savings? Yes...one day...far far away. More fun? Yes. Would I do it again? Yes. Make fun of you for not? Nope.

Lol.

I got 17.5mpg once going to CA all stock. Never got that again. Best I can do is 15.3. But I have a heavy foot. ZERO regrets on loosing weight, I can move way better lol. Plus the power, for just a simple tune is insane.

JRLott

Reaction score
Those are overall mpg numbers, not straight highway or town. The 13.97 was over 5,000 miles and the 15.31 is over the 25,000 since. Probably lean toward about 60% town. Best I ever got stock was 15.5.

Last five fill ups were all highway trips to Midland and back with the exception of the 16, which was about 20% town. 15.5, 16.4, 16, 17.9, and 18.8. I got a driving award in there and decided to drive the speed limit...guess where...lol. Those are on IDP street tune, not race which has always gotten better mileage than anything else.

Latest posts

Members online