GTP38r Crap turbo? Mine is Toast... other turbos???

mtsblaster

Reaction score
I put a Garrett GTP 38R on My 2002 F350 7.3 less than a year ago. Last week while pulling a trailer the turbo started squeeling very high pitch. Like metal to metal screech. Pulled the intake off and sure enough. I have plenty of shaft play allowing the compressor wheel to touch the housing. There are no expenses spared when maintaining our trucks, as they are how we make a living. This truck has never seen more than 4,500 miles between oil changes. I called advanced diesel, where I ordered the turbo, and they told me I would have to contact Garrett directly for Warranty issues. I found out by talking to other dealers this is not true. Turbo has to go back to the dealer purchased from and they start the warranty claim. So obviously not going to get any help from advanced diesel. I looked back through emails only to find I am 5 days outside the year warranty by purchase date. Did I just get a Fluke Turbo here? After reading I found garrett quality has taken a plummet after moving all operations to Mexico and China. So is there a better bolt on american made option for the 7.3? Is my only option to change pedestal so i can bolt up h2e? I don't really care to spend $1,500 per year on turbos. We have 4 7.3L trucks and Im sure the factory turbos on the other 3 will not last forever either. I need some turbo advice!
Thanks

mtsblaster

Reaction score
6637 filter from riffraff. Yes filter has been maintained. Def no dusting of the leading edge blades on turbo wheel. Truck pulls 28k-30k gooseneck a couple times a week. I wonder if constantly boosting this thing to 35psi is just asking too much of it.

mtsblaster

Reaction score
Brian at BTS re burned my chip when he put the tranny in. I Just use the "daily" tune he said would be good for my set up.

mtsblaster

Reaction score
No surging. Advanced sent the turbo to me with an upgraded wheel, billet of some sort. I believe 6x6... if i remember correctly. How can i check oil pressure supplied to the turbo? Maybe this is the problem, turbo only lasted about 20,000 miles

ghohouston

Reaction score
I'd bet the turbo wasn't balanced, or properly balanced when that compressor wheel was installed. 38r's are tough. You can check oil pressure at the oil cooler header, just about the oil filter.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Should be done at the pedestal but, no way of attaching gauge without some fabbing up something. You can try the bottom oil rail right above the oil pan. Goes from front to rear.

mtsblaster

Reaction score
So we are just talking about testing low pressure oil for the whole block, not specifically in the galley for the turbo. I don't see this being an issue. Ran two 7.3's past 500k with no Low pressure oil pump issues. Can't imagine this one giving up, its only at 280K. Im with Ghohouston. Maybe the turbo wasn't balanced with new wheel. I've been reading this morning about the kc38r turbo. Have yall heard decent feedback from this unit? Looks like the same turbo, except balanced and rebuildable.

The Brad

Reaction score
There's no chance Garrett will honor the warranty with that billet wheel in there. I haven't seen a lot of feedback on the KC38, but what I have seen has been nothing but good.

Edit: I just saw on FB that they're have a tax season sale. 15% off with code kctaxsale

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
I'd bet money on the billet wheel causing it, I doubt they balanced the turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
Turbos should always be balanced whenever a new wheel goes in which I'm sure was the problem. Personally I would have just stuck with the stock wheel that comes in those turbos but like what was stated before I have heard nothing but good things about the kc38r.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnum PD

Reaction score
People put compressor wheels on turbos all the time without balancing them. Sometimes you get luckily but usually don't. Too high of speed for both wheels not to be balanced.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If the wheel isnt balanced it doesnt matter. My wheel was balanced and according to garrett if the manufacturer balances the wheel, it should be fine. That said they dont offer or warranty turbos with billet wheels.

As they stated often times the billet wheels are a decrease in performance.

Latest posts

Members online