02 vibration under load

Stout7.3

Reaction score
Okay so I have a 02 7.3 with 180,000 on the clock and it has started to vibrate only under load. You can mainly feel it in your butt and feet and in the steering wheel. It mainly starts to happen at low speeds like 15 mph and will continue all the way up but we'll get stilghty less at highway speeds. The moment I let off the throttle the vibration goes away completely. I replaced all the u joints in the drive shaft about 15,000 miles ago as well with the carrier bearing. And I had a scanner put on it and it's not throwing any codes. What should I be checking.

BS Hauler

Reaction score
Try lubing the splines on the driveshaft and see if that changes anything. Does it get worse when at highway speeds and you hit a bump. If so the splines are dry or binding it will cause it.

Stout7.3

Reaction score
OK I'll try that but I havnt really noticed it any worse at highway speeds hitting A bump

Stout7.3

Reaction score
OK so I pulled the drive shaft tonight and checked all the u joints and greased them and they are all fine and moving freely and the carrier bearing is tight and spins freely as well. I put some grease on the splines when I put it back together. I also cleaned the axle vent tube and took the diff. Fill bolt out and fluid was slowly flowing out so it's good on fluid. What should I be checking next?

Stout7.3

Reaction score
It's not a miss the engine is running perfectly. And what do you mean out of phase

DieselJpower

Reaction score
Google drive shaft in phase.

It's basically that you put it back together EXACTLY how it was because it's balanced.

I had mine out of whack and it vibrated bad, then I part way fixed it but it still wasn't right. If it's out of phase , you might want to get it balanced again. I took option B and got a chromoly 1 piece DS that has beefier u joints and it ******d the carrier bearing.

Stout7.3

Reaction score
Yeah I marked it the same way it went in. It hadn't started to vibrate until recently. I replaced the u joints a while ago. And I'd go to a 1 peice drive shaft but I have a crew cab long bed and that's a long single peice shaft

Stout7.3

Reaction score
Anyone? I just replaced my front hub assembly as the bearings were bad and it somewhat helped. It only does it around 35-65 Now and not as bad? Should I go get an alignment and rotate my tires just to see?

eng53ine

Reaction score
What shape were calipers and slide pins in? As Berman said are your lock outs working properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
What shape were calipers and slide pins in? As Berman said are your lock outs working properly?

I'm pretty sure that axles will spin even if the hubs are disengaged. If the needle bearing that supports the axles while disengaged is bad then it could potentially cause some vibration. Easiest way to tell is lock the hubs in or tie the axles up with some twine.

I have a significant vibration at around 55 which is felt in the seat and floorboard. I think it might be a warped rotor though. I am also replacing all of the steering crap in a few weeks as I think the slop is causing a lot of the vibration, hence the cupping on the inside of my tires.

Last edited:

eng53ine

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that axles will spin even if the hubs are disengaged. If the needle bearing that supports the axles while disengaged is bad then it could potentially cause some vibration. Easiest way to tell is lock the hubs in or tie the axles up with some twine.

I have a significant vibration at around 55 which is felt in the seat and floorboard. I think it might be a warped rotor though. I am also replacing all of the steering crap in a few weeks as I think the slop is causing a lot of the vibration, hence the cupping on the inside of my tires.

I think it depends, I can jack mine up with the hubs unlocked and they'll spin with the wheel. The next time they won't spin, but if the hub is engaged whether it's supposed to be or not, you will feel it. Your definitely right on the needle bearings, if they're bad enough the axle will become one with them. Just put a new front end under mine to try and combat the axles from eating the bearings

Latest posts

Members online