Shut Down While Driving?!? Lost all Power?!?

TLyons90

Reaction score
Tried doing a little searching and found nothing related to my current situation, so point me in that direction if I am wrong...

Yesterday on the way to a buddy's house I came up to a red light. It's a long 5 lane straight backroad in the middle of nowhere. I decided to play a little and rolled on it once I got into 2nd gear leaving the light. Kept the throttle pressed about 3/4 the way down and when I finally got up to roughly 85mph and I assume 5th gear I went to let off but before I could the truck lost all power... Felt like somebody pulled a plug on the truck and lost everything but lights and radio and such we're still on. The truck then started slowing down and I tried revving the truck but it did nothing. Finally pulled it over on the side of the road, turned ignition off/out, opened/closed my door, waited about 30secs, then turned the truck back on, and drove fine from there.

Truck has full diet, no limits stage 2, and Tyrant tuning... Fluke or is this something to be alarmed about?? Thanks!!!

dcswetman

Reaction score
My truck did this a few times when it had ~4000 miles on it and it was all stock. It's never done it since ******d. I just thought I had bumped the key one notch back with my knee and it cut off hence the radio and all stayed on with me also. Interested to see what's said about this

Reaction score
This happened to me as well one time, but mine came up with a soft code which I can't remember right now. It had something to do with the fuel rails emptying caused by the lpfs losing pressure. I read about changing fuel filters which mine had about 8k at the time, changed them and never had the problem since.

Last edited:

TLyons90

Reaction score
This happened to me as well one time, but mine came up with a soft code which I can't remember right now. It had something to do with the fuel rails emptying caused by the lpfs losing pressure. I read about changing fuel filters which mine had about 8k at the time, changed them and never had the problem since.

I checked codes on my SCT and got nothing. I did read something about fuel filters as well which I plan to change here soon. If they are fairly dirty and I was giving her a good amount of throttle I guess it's possible I drained the rails...

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I have had the same problem several times now. not 100% sure on what the solution is as of right now. It pops up the P008A code and I have had a P0093, which is large fuel leak. I have tried replacing the fuel pressure regulator (back of LH side fuel rail) but no luck. I have a fuel pressure sensor I will put in too for the hell of it (front of LH side fuel rail) and see what that does. Besides that I am thinking I might have a LPFP on its way out as I get some air purging noises from there and the upper fuel filter sometimes and that cant be normal. It could be something in the in fuel tank pickup restricting fuel flow as well so I am debating dropping my tank too...

Last edited:

dcswetman

Reaction score
I wasn't in the throttle hard or anything like that when my did this. I was just cruising about to get off on an exit

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I would bet you drained the rails, mine did this once when I had the cruise set and the truck downshifted from 6th to 4th with the GN behind me, I thought something big broke, turned the key off and started up and fired right back up with no issues.

04cr450

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe the fuel rails drained being he has a 15 with the larger hpfp- on early truck yes bur the newer ones? Could have just been a "bug" in the electrical system.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I have had the gross leak detected code a couple times now in the tune I run my 12 in.... it just started doing it all of a sudden on hard wot pulls.. but that is it..no other time..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Jomax

Reaction score
I've drained the rail in my 15 a few times.

How!? If anyone should've drained the rails, it should've been me. Who's tunes are you running?

I've gone WOT all the way till GHs speed limiter countless times, tow in the race tune up big grades, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
I have had the same problem several times now. not 100% sure on what the solution is as of right now. It pops up the P008A code and I have had a P0093, which is large fuel leak. I have tried replacing the fuel pressure regulator (back of LH side fuel rail) but no luck. I have a fuel pressure sensor I will put in too for the hell of it (front of LH side fuel rail) and see what that does. Besides that I am thinking I might have a LPFP on its way out as I get some air purging noises from there and the upper fuel filter sometimes and that cant be normal. It could be something in the in fuel tank pickup restricting fuel flow as well so I am debating dropping my tank too...

My upper filter has that air sound, it has done it since 10k miles. I don't stress about it.

04cr450

Reaction score
How!? If anyone should've drained the rails, it should've been me. Who's tunes are you running?

I've gone WOT all the way till GHs speed limiter countless times, tow in the race tune up big grades, etc.

exactly! hence my question- these newer hpfp's are strong little guys

Rubyred

Reaction score
Just a thought. On the fue filter on the frame rail if it is not tightened completely there is a fail safe that will make the truck not start, so you cant run it without a fuel filter. What im getting at is,maybe put a wrench on the filter and make 100% sure its tightened all the way. I ran into this 1st time i serviced my 2015

95cobby

Reaction score
Just gonna toss this out there since it's somewhat similar... I was on a vacation trip from TX to IL running the GH race tune to see what fuel mileage was like since I daily the hot street here in Houston. Anyways on the way back to TX I got on it from a roll pretty hard and lost power and truck wouldnt rev or accelerate so I pulled over. Truck was still running but still wouldn't really rev in park. Turned it off and waited a few mins and turned it back on.. seemed alright till I put it in drive and started to accelerate to pull back on the road. Turned it off and got out and immediately smelled fuel. Popped the hood and looked around and saw it dripping from passenger side.. it turned out to be that one of the caps on the return line popped off and was leaking. Pressed it back on and gave it a little tug and it seemed alright.. this happened back in August and it's been fine ever since.

95cobby

Reaction score
At the upper fuel filter or?

Guessing that's for me? No not at the fuel filter.. I'm talking about the return line on each injector.. plastic push pins lock the caps on. Looks like the picture attached I found on Google.. in the picture it's broken but that's what it looks like and where's it located.

Attachments

• IMG_0378.JPG
    IMG_0378.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 57

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.