Steering wheel radio buttons v. Clock spring

MorganM

Reaction score
The radio buttons to skip forward or backward often malfunction in my 2012. For instance, the advance forward button will actually restart the same song or jump to the previous song/station.

Is there some way to determine if the button module is the problem versus the clock spring? It's erratic and I haven't identified any pattern.

JetExpress_6.7

Reaction score
I had the exact same issue in my 14 and never figured out what was happening. After a year or so of use (almost daily) it seems to have gone away. Probably dirt in the contacts or something...may try some electrical contact cleaner before new parts

JetExpress_6.7

Reaction score
Well, got an update for you. Was involved in an accident back in February and in the process of repair, the body shop put a new clock spring in due to an airbag light.

Fast forward, have had it back a couple weeks now and twice already have had the buttons malfunction and seem to trip out like a breaker would, notably the seek up (next track) and volume up. When it happens, the button will perform a wrong function (ie seeks down or volume down) and then immediately after will stop functioning completely. That is until I shut down, open a door so the radio shuts off, and restart. After that it works fine! Kinda frustrating...

Weird thing is it had almost stopped happening before the accident/sitting at the body shop for 2 months. Maybe just dusty contacts in the switch itself? I may fork the $25 over to try a new one out...

MorganM

Reaction score
Thanks.

I've noticed that the seek buttons seem to work better if I push them really hard, but a softer tap results in the periodic malfunction.

Sounds like a clockspring isn't the answer though. Look forward to how that new button module works out, I'm tempted to try it too.

Latest posts

Members online