Turbo Surging on 15 swap turbo

Wyo6.7

Reaction score
Hello! Good afternoon, long time reader, first time poster! So I'm looking for some help and can't find the same situation on searching the forum. I have a 2012 F250 CCSB KR. I swapped the turbo out with a "used" SPE '15 style turbo kit. It had roughly 4,500 miles on it when I bought. Install was straight forward and self explanatory.
I had custom tunes made to help take advantage of the new turbo, which is hard to find anymore since I run SCT. But now I have bad turbo surging under light throttle and cruise control. Bad as in when on cruise at hwy speeds it will jump from 11 to 20 psi and back and forth the whole time climbing a hill or in a head wind. Being as it fluctuates that much psi you can feel it the whole time.
Also under light throttle with load on the engine it does the same thing usually like 8 to 15 psi, which can also be felt.

No to answer some questions on what I have done so far. I have had about 7 different tune revisions with no change. Not I have an edge insight and the SCT X4 so my parameters are limited to what I can actually see. So i feel blind on some things.
Here is what I tried on my end. If I unplug the MAP sensor boost gauge shows 40psi and you can hear that the vanes are open, so that's reading.
Unplug the MAF and you get a fixed input of 16.38 on the frequency on the SCT and it builds boost oddly so that is reading.
Unplug the EBP sensor and no change at all, 4runs the exact same with surging. No check engine codes and seems to react all the same. I have two different EBP sensors that I have swapped with no change.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem and may have some insight to help me, or to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Cody,

redneck1

Reaction score
Sounds like you need someone else to try their magic tuning. Seems to be getting harder to get custom tunes definitely..

KCCO

Wyo6.7

Reaction score
Well the only reason I'm thinking it isn't the tunes anymore is because before I swapped the turbo I purchased the tune for the swap. Well to make sure there were no issues downloading and such I loaded it on the truck before the swap. It ran fine no problems. But after turbo swap is when the issues started. I even swapped back to the old tunes I had before anything, still surges.

maxxedout

Reaction score
I've been down this road... I'd put money on it being the tuning. Before I did my turbo swap, I downloaded what was supposed to be a 2015 turbo engine file. I drove the truck for about 10 minutes, and it was fine. After swapping the turbo, the truck ran like crap. It was laggy, surged, and just didn't feel right. I tried a couple revisions from that tuner, and the truck still wasn't right.

From there, I got ahold of Morgan, and he set me up with his tunes. I could immediately tell the truck ran better. It responded quicker than a stock 2015 truck, had no surging, and a whole lot more power. A while ago, I tried another vendors tunes, and they didn't even come close to running as well as Morgan's files.

Wyo6.7

Reaction score
Good to know on there is still a chance for tuning. I guess assuming that with too different vendors' tuning reacting the same meant it was a hard part, could still be wrong! I appreciate the comments.

Wyo6.7

Reaction score
Thank you guys, I have reached out to Midwest to hopefully they can help me out. If I run into blocks I'll have a nice 2015 turbo kit for sale and will be looking into a non vgt setup to make it all go away. Thank you

Latest posts

Members online