Axle differences over the years

Rusgo

Reaction score
Hey all.

Will axles from later/earlier years bolt up no problem?

Noticed since the conversion to coils, the interchange years for axles are narrow. Like 2006 to 2007 and 2011 to 2013. Is there anything to look out for? Major dimensional changes and compatibility issues, or just minor things like flange and spline differences?

The axle look very similar at least.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
99-04 are all the same.

05-07 are all the same (coil front end and wider track width than previous)

08-10 same rear as 05+ and the front is very similar also, just the sway bars bolt 90* different on the front. Some steering components change such as steering gear and trac bar bracket.

11-16 are all the same. Same widths as 05+. Different track bar brackets again, and speed sensor is now taken at the transmission, not at the diff. Brakes change two or three times in this time frame.

17+ all the same. Different axle dimensions, different trac bar and bracket.

This speaks to pickups specifically. Chassis cabs are much different.

Rusgo

Reaction score
Yeah great info. Thanks man. Adding a few other things I came across.

Only 17" or bigger wheels in 2005+ axles.

2011 plus axles have a locker option and have lower available gearing options at 3.31 or 3.55.

The vehicle speed sensor location also differs from year to year.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Yeah great info. Thanks man. Adding a few other things I came across.

Only 17" or bigger wheels in 2005+ axles.

2011 plus axles have a locker option and have lower available gearing options at 3.31 or 3.55.

The vehicle speed sensor location also differs from year to year.

Locker as in selectable electronic locker?

co04cobra

Reaction score
99-01 are all Dana 50s unless drw truck. 02-04 are all Dana 60s unless a excursion.

As mentioned minor differences overall 05-16 but if looking for one hub to hub 13 up have the biggest brakes available.

Rusgo

Reaction score
99-01 are all Dana 50s unless drw truck. 02-04 are all Dana 60s unless a excursion.

As mentioned minor differences overall 05-16 but if looking for one hub to hub 13 up have the biggest brakes available.
Will the 13+ axles fit a 17" wheel with their bigger brakes?

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Yeah man. Many of the 11+ axles had a factory locker. Seems like a solid design.

I was just asking because they have been supplying trucks with the Trak-lok since the 80s or 90s (my truck has one), so I was curious if they are still offering that, or if it was a selectable, on/off locker.

A regular locker is very similar to the limited slip (trak-lok) they've been putting in trucks.

Rusgo

Reaction score
Selectable. New thing from what I know. Pretty simple mechanism.

gostrider

Reaction score
Great info but what about earlier years like 65-99? I was thinking this would be a library/archive thread if it covered the majority. And thanks to all the brainiacs that make it easier on the newbs like me. Hats off 2ya

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rusgo

Reaction score
There's unlimited amount of information on the earlier axles already published. Super long dana 60 bible thread. Probably a couple days worth of reading at pirate.

The newer axles are just starting to be looked into for swaps and such. Less is known about them.

The older axles are becoming much less common too. All that 70s and 80s tough geared stuff is getting hard to find.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Honestly, IMO the newer axles are far superior to the older stuff as well. The world of swaps with them is unlimited with fantastic availability.

But on your ? about the brakes and 13 up axles. yes a 17" wheel will clear.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Yeah man. Many of the 11+ axles had a factory locker. Seems like a solid design.

I wouldn't waist the time and money to put that factory locker in. It isnt very reliable over factory hp/tq specs. They blow out.. just get a truetrac and be done..

live life full throttle

Justinlw

Reaction score
I wouldn't waist the time and money to put that factory locker in. It isnt very reliable over factory hp/tq specs. They blow out.. just get a truetrac and be done..

live life full throttle

Have you seen the e-locker break? I and several others I know are using them off-road with 37”+ tires and haven’t stripped one yet. I’m sure if I tried on pavement I could break it, but that’s not it’s intended use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Have you seen the e-locker break? I and several others I know are using them off-road with 37”+ tires and haven’t stripped one yet. I’m sure if I tried on pavement I could break it, but that’s not it’s intended use.

Just about every truck and tractor pull i have went to that someone used it when wired to stay active and not disable automatically.. And a few people from vendors shops that said the same thing when i talked to them. They are ok at slow speeds but under load with added power they explode.. one kid on the pulling circuit we pull with went through 2 of them last year..

live life full throttle

Justinlw

Reaction score
Just about every truck and tractor pull i have went to that someone used it when wired to stay active and not disable automatically.. And a few people from vendors shops that said the same thing when i talked to them. They are ok at slow speeds but under load with added power they explode.. one kid on the pulling circuit we pull with went through 2 of them last year..

live life full throttle

I guess that’s what I’m getting at. By design they unlock over a set speed. They’re fine for 99% of people that use them for their intended purpose as designed.

Rusgo

Reaction score
I agree. If you're pulling tractors dont use the lockers. Save them for the rest of us who are working or wheeling.

Pretty sure my 86 f350 diesel with little turbocharger wont break them. Haha.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I agree. If you're pulling tractors dont use the lockers. Save them for the rest of us who are working or wheeling.

Pretty sure my 86 f350 diesel with little turbocharger wont break them. Haha.

I ment in competition use. Not hooked to a trailer. And im talking about the factory locker.. not an aftermarket one.

There is a reason that it automatically unlocks past a certain speed. Crawling around its great. Just dont try to put over stock 6.7 power through it.

live life full throttle

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
I ment in competition use. Not hooked to a trailer. And im talking about the factory locker.. not an aftermarket one.

There is a reason that it automatically unlocks past a certain speed. Crawling around its great. Just dont try to put over stock 6.7 power through it.

live life full throttle

Even then, stock 6.7 power is pretty good, so if you were swapping one behind a 7.3, chances are its strong enough lol

Latest posts

Members online