Custom fab tools

ja_cain

Reaction score
Milwaukee is releasing a m18 Fuel cordless mag drill! I hear Metabo already has had one but idk. Not for drill g everyday but would be sweet when drilling a few holes remotely.

Mag drills are deffently sweet to have for fabricating.

3 phase Bridgeport mills can be had from 1000 to 2000, some cheaper if you keep your eye open. Sone with digital XYZ read outs. Reason they are soo cheap is no one wants to move them, and you will need a phase converter to run one. Best kind to use is a 240v motor that spins a 3 phase generator

I think a j head (stepped pully) with a vfd is a good way to go (about 2400 to 2500# probably). I probably just passed up a sweet deal on a a Lagun mill which is kind of clone of the bridgeport but way more stout. I could kick myself for not being more prepared. Wont happen again though.

Last edited:

DBQLSC

Reaction score
Just an fyi if you have a dc stick you already have a tig. You just need the lead and gas. That will do everything that you need to do, you just need to get used to it. Aluminum can be done on it too, you don't need ac.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Just an fyi if you have a dc stick you already have a tig. You just need the lead and gas. That will do everything that you need to do, you just need to get used to it. Aluminum can be done on it too, you don't need ac.

You can do it with He (preferably high/lab grade) EN I think. That's how they did it back in the old days with Heliarc. Just need the torch with the gas valve in it and then you can do scratch start.

DBQLSC

Reaction score
I just use argon and ep with 1/8 thoriated tungsten. That is good up to 3/16" thick. Any thicker and you run helium en. After hearing ac for 10+ hours a day it's nice to have nice quiet dc.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I just use argon and ep with 1/8 thoriated tungsten. That is good up to 3/16" thick. Any thicker and you run helium en. After hearing ac for 10+ hours a day it's nice to have nice quiet dc.

That's cool. I need to try this out. Will order some thoriated on Monday. I currently run lanthanated for everything. You got some pics of beads you've run this way?

DBQLSC

Reaction score
You can do it with lanthiated, thoriated just takes more heat and I like to glow at night.:cool: A water cooler also helps to remove heat from the torch, get it too hot and the tungsten will pretty much explode. Aluminum is the only time I run a foot pedal just to back the heat off once you get going. I'm sure I have a picture somewhere. Looks just like an ac weld with a little more dullness to it.

ja_cain

Reaction score
You can do it with lanthiated, thoriated just takes more heat and I like to glow at night.:cool: A water cooler also helps to remove heat from the torch, get it too hot and the tungsten will pretty much explode. Aluminum is the only time I run a foot pedal just to back the heat off once you get going. I'm sure I have a picture somewhere. Looks just like an ac weld with a little more dullness to it.
I could see the w/c torch and thicker electrode as a definite with strait ep since you don't have the capability of directing more of the heat into the work piece with the en side of the a/c wave.

I've got a w/c flexloc torch and just need to get a cooler put together.

ae7b99420fc8c889932cb11264717ab0.jpg

DBQLSC

Reaction score
Carbonator pump, transmission cooler and a muffin fan. You'll have a better cooler than a miller. The miller coolmates have a smaller pump than a carbonator. I built mine for $200 and let me add a solenoid to my gas. Skinned it in stainless sheet and it looks pretty good.

cbf9703

Reaction score
If you have the means to move it, there are deals to be had.
I paid $2200 for a Bridgeport knee-mill with digital readout, fixed vice, rotary vice, and close to $1000 worth of new tooling. Well used but not abused.
Bought it in an estate liquidation.

Schools that are surplussing out old shop equipment can be a good source for stuff too if you don't mind older equipment.... they usually put it out in a sealed bid auction. Had a friend set up his woodworking shop for under $1000, just had to pick up and haul everything. Auto programs and industrial tech usually have some good stuff that gets given away too.

Isobaric

Reaction score
Schools that are surplussing out old shop equipment can be a good source for stuff too if you don't mind older equipment.... they usually put it out in a sealed bid auction. Had a friend set up his woodworking shop for under $1000, just had to pick up and haul everything. Auto programs and industrial tech usually have some good stuff that gets given away too.

Very true. Schools can be a excellent source for lightly used older equipment.
I've also seen plenty of carnage from students auto-feeding in the 'z' axis instead of the 'x'.

Latest posts

Members online