7.3 brake upgrades

Redrock

Reaction score
I have a 02 f250 and keep having problems with calipers sticking. I had rotors, pads and calipers replaced a year and half ago. Last fall had trouble with brakes sticking so i took to mechanic he replaced 2 hoses and caliper. That didn't work so he replaced master cylinder that helped for awhile. Yesterday i crossed rail road tracks and my truck pulled left hard. Drive 2miles home and front right was smoking. Sick of dealing with this and want to get fixed right. Thanks for any help!

PDT1081

Reaction score
What calipers are you replacing them with? OEM or parts store? Are the slide pins freezing up or the caliper pistons? I've used ceramic anti-seize from Napa (it's purple) with good success for slide pins that want to stick.

Redrock

Reaction score
I'm not certain. Second time guy fixed he said when they took master cylinder out they could hear brakes release. Auto store parts were used. Thanks

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
Ford brakes are crap. I've fought off and on for the past 10 years, calipers after calipers, rotors, brake lines, etc.. doesn't seem to matter what brand, or who installs em. My calipers usually start seizing about 6 months after install. There's not a warranty available unless you want to spend big $$ (brembo maybe?) that will honor a sticky caliper. It's a joke really.

Redrock

Reaction score
Replaced pads with metallic ones today. The old ones looked pretty burnt. Seems to have worked so far...

Overdrive

Reaction score
I just clean my slides grease them and use Wagner semi metallic pads and Wagner rotors. Have yet to have a issue in 20 years of ownership
Maybe the slides are worn funny making the caliper stick?

dsberman94

Reaction score
Old thread but I put the power stop z36 brakes on mine not too long ago. All new calipers, slotted and drilled rotors and carbon ceramic pads. It stops pretty good.

Austintacious

Reaction score
my 2 cents, Power stop setup is awesome. I was going thru a set of pads every 6-8 months before i found those babies. i did mine about 2 years ago and haven't had one complaint. Just make sure you follow the break-in instructions to the letter. as far as the calipers themselves, Assuming they aren't worn funny, lube your slider pins with the Motorcraft XG-3-A Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound. can be had at you local ford stealership for around 20 bucks. Cured the sticking pins on mine before i did the powerstop job. Worked liked a champ ever since.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I had caliper issues. Kept seizing. When I bought the kit I bought everything new. Pads rotors and calipers. Put them on, broke them in, and mostly stopped driving the truck.

I just put a full set of z36 pads and rotors on my f150 and they work good. No complaints. Really nice that there isn’t any brake dust.