No start, electrical issues, need help. Please review

BigBad151

Reaction score
Okay so I only had time to get to the driver side. And before i did i took one last monitor on cranking.

Okay first the data,
Icp= 2278.3psi Ipr= 40.2% Rpm= 138 Voltage= 12.4-8.2v with glow plug relay unplugged I ohmed the idm plug to the valve covers, everything checks out now. Ohmed out injector 2= 2.8ohms at the solenoid. Now the driverside uvch I got .09-.1 ohms on every wire except for cyl 2, which was .4 ohms. I have not done the passenger side yet to check cyl 7. As I ran out of time. All wires pass visual Inspection. Everything appears to be factory, but I dont know how to tell the difference.Hope this is useful. Thanks again for sticking with me through this.

Ps I did remove injector 2 entirely to ohm the solenoid.

BigBad151

Reaction score
I have previously swapped the first and third relays in Hope's it was that simple . Thanks though

13fist

Reaction score
well, do you have a way to check your idm on another truck?
P1670 with no start usually is fuse, relay, or idm.
I wanna say it could also be PCM - IDM enable circuit. Not sure how else I can help, running out of ideas.

BigBad151

Reaction score
I haven't tried testing my idm on another truck, however I have another idm from a running truck that I tested with no changes.
The pcm is on the list after the uvch gets replaced. At this point, it has to be something simple or right under my nose. Hopefully the new uvch does the trick.

BigBad151

Reaction score
Does anyone find the Ipr % odd. The icp pressure is not defaulting to 2200 psi, I can watch it climb. But should the ipr be closing so much?

superpsd

Reaction score
Pretty sure cranking RPMs are too low. 138 is slow and may not even trigger the minimum cranking speed which depends on the calibration parameters.

superpsd

Reaction score
Currently trying to figure out minimum cranking speed for my OBS is. I never messed with the minimum and crabking parameters. Doing that right now. I want to say it seemed like my Uncles E99 was 150rpm when I had to get his running again.

superpsd

Reaction score
Disregard I found most documentation pointing to a minimum of 100rpm. I also see that in the parameters for my OBS calibration. Your P1670 is said to point to a communication error between between the PCM and IDM. Checking out the PCM may be a good idea at this point and the wiring. I would check wiring first. There are only three wires from the PCM to the IDM.

Last edited:

BigBad151

Reaction score
So I finally got the new valve cover gaskets and harnesses installed. Everything ohmed out great. 2.9 across the board. However still no start. Except now it sounds like it hiccups occasionally, like it's thinking about it. I did also crawl beneath the truck to check for air out of the exhaust. There was some, but no smoke. Im about out of ideas.
The fuel pump kicks on like normal, but after a couple seconds, the pitch changes, almost like it's dead heading or catching prime finally. It does this with every cycle of the key. Judy thought id mention it. I did not get to log, due to a swift thunderstorm. Will try tomorrow.

BigBad151

Reaction score
Ok so. I buzz tested the injectors after clearing all dtcs to start with a clean slate. The buzz test popped up a p1210. I then attempted to crank it over. The ipr continued to climb up past 45%, but the icp never showed any pressure, so that makes sense. The cps status says ok and rpms only climbed to 125. But the cmp level reads low. The battery voltage also dropped from 12.8 to 8.4 in about 4 revolutions with a battery charger on. I then got dtcs 1280, 0472, 0198.
No I think batteries are in order. The cps is new, but all those sensors I recieved codes for were plugged in. So I pulled out the harness and inspected every inch of the wires and they are all fine. Pcm maybe, batteries the issue? Ideas? What a cluster****

I'm going to replace the batteries, and try and source another idm. To start, then see if anything changes.

Dscrant

Reaction score
Did we already cover a new engine wiring harness? I chased my no start for about 4 days ohming and meggering. Even pulled the whole schematic for the engine harness and went wire by wire. Everything tested good, but at the end of the day it was a new engine wiring harness that was the culprit. No idea where, but now I have a spare connector for everything :shrug:

BigBad151

Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's our off the question, I thought about it, until I dare the price of a new one.lol I'm gonna chase a couple more gremlins first and buy the harness as a last ditch effort. But glad to hear it resolved your issues, I think I have resolved the majority of my harness issues, i hope.

BigBad151

Reaction score
It runsssssssss!!!!!!

I cleaned up the whole harness, cleaned and dielectric every connection. Everyone. Replaced the batteries. And with a little luck and persistence she finally started.
Thank you so much fellas. In conclusion I think this was a collaboration of issues. I havent tested the old idm yet. But will do so and report back. Thanks again everyone who contributed.

Latest posts

Members online