Tuners

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I’ve ran PHP and tyrant and brian jelichs. Brian’s tunes imo are the best I’ve ran. Power is smooth, not a smoke show and gets down compared to the others. Tyrant would be a close second.

I have both Jelich's and Tyrants. Like the engine side of Jelich's but not happy with the trans strategy. Jelich's trans tuning it feels like a manual trans doing 10 mph in 5th gear. The trans shifting of Tyrant is spot on but can't complain with the power. I get much better mileage with Tyrant vs Jelich's.

I tried working with Brian on fixing the trans strategy but he became short with me after I went through two revisions with him. I gave up after that.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Strokersace

Reaction score
What in the heck are you doing with another 7.3? I thought you had moved on.

I did!

I was barely using the 6.4 since I have a tdi as a daily driver so I gave it to my dad and picked up Jake’s built 7.3. He’s already done the hard part of building it up. I’m just converting it to a towing truck from his setup as a sled puller.

I looked around here for a DECENT 6.0 and there was nothing affordable and most weren’t even decent for the prices. So dropped back into a 7.3 and kind of enjoying it again. And my wife likes the truck so that’s a huge plus! I don’t have to “sell” her on it’s needs! Lol

INFRNL

Reaction score
You bought Jakes(Irate Diesel)truck or a different Jake?

Have you decided on a tuner?

If you got Jake from Irate, doesn't he use ********?

Back several yrs ago just before the hydra evolved, i have php, beans(no limit), powerstruck, and some runes from Curtis Frost. I never got around to having any of the tunes really dialed in and they all have their good and bad.

About a yr ago, i decided to get a hydra and found out php no longer deals with people directly. The old system is gone and left me hanging. Luckily I still have my php tunes on one of my ts chips.

When I got my hydra, i decided to try 1023, sdk and ******** tunes. I live in Colorado and would like to eventually get live tuning done. Therefore means ******** is the closest to get that done. This is something to consider when choosing. Although if they are able to get things dialed in by data logging, then that's another option.

PHP is still one of my favorites. I don't have the issues mentioned here. All my tunes smoke but my ******** tunes probably do the best at clearing up the smoke. Although my ******** tunes are not like any of the others and are the mellowest of them all.

1023 and sdk runes are similar but sdk are slightly more agressive. I wish i could have my php tunes on the hydra for a better comparison. I think the PHP tunes are along the lines of 1023 or sdk. I have a weird issue with my no limit tunes, otherwise great runes as well. Powerstruck was new when I got them but they are every bit as good as anyone else.

There are no wrong choices and I think any of them should be willing to work with you for getting them dialed in.

******** has the best pricing. I got a gh Hydra with free custom tuning for my 250/100s... can't beat that... unless you get free tunes with injectors.

There are good and bad to everything. Besides dealing directly with Bill and powerstruck in the past, i have only dealt with Dusty and ******** this time around. Sadly Dusty lives in Alaska. So hopefully he can work off data logging, otherwise I'll take a quick trip to Texas when I really want to get things dialed in.

Right now I'm playing around with turbos. As we can see and has been mentioned, every truck reacts differently. I feel the overall outcome no matter what tuner is chosen, yields similar enough results. Just pick one and deal with them to get everything dialed in to how you like.

Edit... apparently **** doesn't like g e a r h e a d

wildbill963258

Reaction score
You bought Jakes(Irate Diesel)truck or a different Jake?

Have you decided on a tuner?

If you got Jake from Irate, doesn't he use ********?

Back several yrs ago just before the hydra evolved, i have php, beans(no limit), powerstruck, and some runes from Curtis Frost. I never got around to having any of the tunes really dialed in and they all have their good and bad.

About a yr ago, i decided to get a hydra and found out php no longer deals with people directly. The old system is gone and left me hanging. Luckily I still have my php tunes on one of my ts chips.

When I got my hydra, i decided to try 1023, sdk and ******** tunes. I live in Colorado and would like to eventually get live tuning done. Therefore means ******** is the closest to get that done. This is something to consider when choosing. Although if they are able to get things dialed in by data logging, then that's another option.

PHP is still one of my favorites. I don't have the issues mentioned here. All my tunes smoke but my ******** tunes probably do the best at clearing up the smoke. Although my ******** tunes are not like any of the others and are the mellowest of them all.

1023 and sdk runes are similar but sdk are slightly more agressive. I wish i could have my php tunes on the hydra for a better comparison. I think the PHP tunes are along the lines of 1023 or sdk. I have a weird issue with my no limit tunes, otherwise great runes as well. Powerstruck was new when I got them but they are every bit as good as anyone else.

There are no wrong choices and I think any of them should be willing to work with you for getting them dialed in.

******** has the best pricing. I got a gh Hydra with free custom tuning for my 250/100s... can't beat that... unless you get free tunes with injectors.

There are good and bad to everything. Besides dealing directly with Bill and powerstruck in the past, i have only dealt with Dusty and ******** this time around. Sadly Dusty lives in Alaska. So hopefully he can work off data logging, otherwise I'll take a quick trip to Texas when I really want to get things dialed in.

Right now I'm playing around with turbos. As we can see and has been mentioned, every truck reacts differently. I feel the overall outcome no matter what tuner is chosen, yields similar enough results. Just pick one and deal with them to get everything dialed in to how you like.

Edit... apparently **** doesn't like g e a r h e a d

He means Jake as in lincolnlocker on here.

INFRNL

Reaction score
Oh, thanks. That name sounds very familiar. It's been yrs since ive been active on the truck forums and doesn't seem like they are all that active anymore

Back woods

Reaction score
Who offers the best tuning for a built transmission?
Wanting something that shifts as close to stock as possible without slamming into gear.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I've ran No Limit aka DynoProven, GH, DP Tuner, Jelich, Swamps and Tyrant. Hands down Tyrant on trans tune. I also depends on the orfice size of the boost valve in the trans and what mods were done to the VB. My trans guy (Paul aka The Punisher) told me to tell the tuner the least amount of line pressure possible because all the mods were done with the VB.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

INFRNL

Reaction score
I haven't experienced a whole lot of differences in tranny shifting from my various tunes. and none of the tuning I have experienced slams gears. maybe a more solid shift rather than lagging stock shifting (nothing like the old shift kits for gassers).

traction bars has also helped smoothed out shifting in my experience. as with power tunes, tranny tuning can also be adjusted from the tuner. I imagine tranny's will behave slightly different between vehicles, just as power tuning goes. the shifting in all my tunes is nice, smooth, and quick. Since I recently put on traction bars, most of the time I can't even feel it shift (depending on situation) now.

Last edited:

superduty4x4

Reaction score
I did!

I was barely using the 6.4 since I have a tdi as a daily driver so I gave it to my dad and picked up Jake’s built 7.3. He’s already done the hard part of building it up. I’m just converting it to a towing truck from his setup as a sled puller.

I looked around here for a DECENT 6.0 and there was nothing affordable and most weren’t even decent for the prices. So dropped back into a 7.3 and kind of enjoying it again. And my wife likes the truck so that’s a huge plus! I don’t have to “sell” her on it’s needs! Lol
I miss my 7.3 but towing with, or just driving, the 6.0 sure has been nice. The only thing I don't miss about the ol 7.tree is the racket it made.

Strokersace

Reaction score
I miss my 7.3 but towing with, or just driving, the 6.0 sure has been nice. The only thing I don't miss about the ol 7.tree is the racket it made.

I hear ya there. After having the 6.4 for a couple years I’m having to relearn how to tow with the 7.3. The 6.4 was sooooo effortless, I honestly didn’t have to watch the gauges at all. With the tuning that’s currently on the new to me 7.3, I have to keep an eye on things more closely than I’ve gotten accustomed to. Which is why I started this thread.

As of now, I’m leaning towards a hydra. Only because for what I can sell the TS chip for and for what tunes will cost from reputable tuners, I’m 3/4 the way to the cost of a hydra with custom tunes anyway!

Leaning hard towards G H or Jelibuilt. I need to call and chat with Andrew too. I loved my tyrant tunes in the old 7.3 as well as Cale’s tunes on my Dad’s 6.4 we recently sold. But being able to get hooked up with them can take forever and on the 6.4 I finally gave up waiting for revisions. Was disappointed to hear that others even some local 6.7 guys to me are having headaches getting updated tunes. I’ll try to go to him directly verses a middleman if possible.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
With my BASB (basically a 364.5), 180/80’s, and GH tunes on my Hydra, this is the best towing truck I’ve ever had. I run the GH All Out tune towing or empty and EGT’s are not a worry. My enclosed trailer weights just over 10k loaded and I can pull Mont Eagle in TN (6% grade for about 6-8 miles at 75 mph and never break 1200.
I’ve had a 6.6 Duramax, two 6.0’s and a 6.4 and this set up on the 7.3 beats them all based on my trucks.

78-79fordman

Reaction score
I hear ya there. After having the 6.4 for a couple years I’m having to relearn how to tow with the 7.3. The 6.4 was sooooo effortless, I honestly didn’t have to watch the gauges at all. With the tuning that’s currently on the new to me 7.3, I have to keep an eye on things more closely than I’ve gotten accustomed to. Which is why I started this thread.

As of now, I’m leaning towards a hydra. Only because for what I can sell the TS chip for and for what tunes will cost from reputable tuners, I’m 3/4 the way to the cost of a hydra with custom tunes anyway!

Leaning hard towards G H or Jelibuilt. I need to call and chat with Andrew too. I loved my tyrant tunes in the old 7.3 as well as Cale’s tunes on my Dad’s 6.4 we recently sold. But being able to get hooked up with them can take forever and on the 6.4 I finally gave up waiting for revisions. Was disappointed to hear that others even some local 6.7 guys to me are having headaches getting updated tunes. I’ll try to go to him directly verses a middleman if possible.
Cale had to take a little break he said I believe he's back in the game . I plan to have him live tune mine when I go 238/80 and he maybe the one who installs them with a t4 setup if I can get him to . . And my truck will just be down the street from him at BTS Get'n a trans . And I know he can tune for it .

Last edited:

Strokersace

Reaction score
Cale had to take a little break he said I believe he's back in the game . I plan to have him live tune mine when I go 238/80 and he maybe the one who installs them with a t4 setup if I can get him to . . And my truck will just be down the street from him at BTS Get'n a trans . And I know he can tune for it .

Well if that’s the case I hope all is ok with him.

He live tuned my 02 when I was down there in 2009 getting the BTS trans in it. Took forever to get that truck dialed in but man did he ever!

He is closest to me for live tuning if I went that route. 6 hours vs 8.5 for Matt.

78-79fordman

Reaction score
Well if that’s the case I hope all is ok with him.

He live tuned my 02 when I was down there in 2009 getting the BTS trans in it. Took forever to get that truck dialed in but man did he ever!

He is closest to me for live tuning if I went that route. 6 hours vs 8.5 for Matt.
Ya Cale is 2 1/2 - 3 hours from me .

superduty4x4

Reaction score

When I had Cale's tuning on my old 7.3 I tried multiple times to get in touch for updated tunes to correct a few little bugs and I never had any luck.