Wheel Size Dilemma

03cody

Reaction score
I cannot decide whether I want to go with a 20x10 or a 20x12. Either would be on 35's, I have a 03 with a 4 inch lift. I think 20x12's look amazing but I am not sure how much rubbing would occur since the wheel has a deeper offset and is wider....

Koda22

Reaction score
Go big or go home, but no joke if you don't go big you will regret it and wish you would have...welcome to the stance game....lol

03cody

Reaction score
Do you guys think that with just a 4 inch lift, i'll be able to get by without any scrubbing on the fenders or the leafs?

Koda22

Reaction score
It's prolly gonna rub some, I wouldn't say to bad. I think you Pull the liner back, and go with it...

2BlueBulls

Reaction score
The rubbing will also depend on the tire mfg. Not all 35's are 35". Your wheel selection should also depend on what you intend to do with your truck (off-road, street, looks, whatever).

Off-roading with 35's on 20" rims is not something I would personally do. But it depends on your description of off-roading.

Just my 2 pesos.

03cody

Reaction score
The rubbing will also depend on the tire mfg. Not all 35's are 35". Your wheel selection should also depend on what you intend to do with your truck (off-road, street, looks, whatever).

Off-roading with 35's on 20" rims is not something I would personally do. But it depends on your description of off-roading.

Just my 2 pesos.

In reality, she is more of street queen than anything. I don't do any serious offroading, other than when I'm in the fields filling up a dozer or something lol.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
If your doing 35's, do 12 wide. I Know mine is a 08, but this is what it looked like with 35's and I have a 12 wide wheel. Keep in mind, my 35's (actually 34.7 if you want to get critical) were 13 wide.

424461_616674228356578_208116346_n_zps6d0b159a.jpg

993792_707997812557552_286989163_n_zpsabbc2887.jpg

1395995_674288919261775_2075867845_n_zpsf1611123.jpg

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Yes,
I'm patiently waiting for what prices are going to be looking like. I've got a few customers wanting them.

swinky

Reaction score
03-04s are a good bit narrower than 05 and up. 10 wides on an 03 really hardly stick out at all.

You should clear 35s on a 4 inch just fine. Go with 20x12s for sure. They hang out the fender just enough on a leaf sprung truck
1021b7cbba22260043db0964a1e684a7.jpg

Spoolin'

Reaction score
I had 4 inches of lift with 20x12s on a 12.5 wide tire with leafsprings before I did my 10 inch coil conversion, and it rubbed pretty bad. Maybe if you constantly drive straight and have a single cab shorty with two parking spaces it will be fine, but for me it wasn't. It rubbed with nearly every turn and bump, and I hated it. So much that I went big instead of going home. Maybe I am OCD but it ruined driving the truck for me. The very little off-road I did was complete hell. Now with 10 inches of lift on 37/13.5s with coils it slightly rubs at full lock and a harsh angle/bump on the lower valence panel. Still annoying but it's tolerable. I would definitely recommend 12 wides however I would raise the truck up another inch or so to help minimize rubbing. It will still rub the leafs regardless so be prepared for that.

swinky

Reaction score
I'm stock height with 32s and it won't touch the leafs. I guess lifting it doesn't change your clearance on the leafs though.

03cody

Reaction score
Wheel Size Dilema

I had 4 inches of lift with 20x12s on a 12.5 wide tire with leafsprings before I did my 10 inch coil conversion, and it rubbed pretty bad. Maybe if you constantly drive straight and have a single cab shorty with two parking spaces it will be fine, but for me it wasn't. It rubbed with nearly every turn and bump, and I hated it. So much that I went big instead of going home. Maybe I am OCD but it ruined driving the truck for me. The very little off-road I did was complete hell. Now with 10 inches of lift on 37/13.5s with coils it slightly rubs at full lock and a harsh angle/bump on the lower valence panel. Still annoying but it's tolerable. I would definitely recommend 12 wides however I would raise the truck up another inch or so to help minimize rubbing. It will still rub the leafs regardless so be prepared for that.

Do you by chance remember what the backspacing on those wheels were? I believe that has a big role in whether it hits the leafs or not. Believe me, I'm ocd too and I would not want to drive a truck that would take a mile to turn around. Haha

What's your backspacing swink?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jngreen

Reaction score
I cannot decide whether I want to go with a 20x10 or a 20x12. Either would be on 35's, I have a 03 with a 4 inch lift. I think 20x12's look amazing but I am not sure how much rubbing would occur since the wheel has a deeper offset and is wider....

What kind of 4" lift? It may or may not rub badly, but I can tell you that it probably will rub somewhere.

My 2000 would rub hard on the inner fenders, a little on the bumper, and possibly touch the rear of the front fenders at times but never caused damage. I pulled back the fender liners with zip ties, trimmed the bumper and spaced it out some, and the rubbing pretty much went away.

Last edited:

Spoolin'

Reaction score
Do you by chance remember what the backspacing on those wheels were? I believe that has a big role in whether it hits the leafs or not. Believe me, I'm ocd too and I would not want to drive a truck that would take a mile to turn around. Haha

What's your backspacing swink?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were 20x12 Moto metal 962s so I'm assuming -44. It rubbed a little on the bottom of the bumper, a little on the liner, and would shake the truck from rubbing on the leafs. That's turning on a flat surface. Add some speed(body roll) and a decent bump and you would cringe. Horrible setup. It was an old pro comp lift.

jngreen

Reaction score
They were 20x12 Moto metal 962s so I'm assuming -44. It rubbed a little on the bottom of the bumper, a little on the liner, and would shake the truck from rubbing on the leafs. That's turning on a flat surface. Add some speed(body roll) and a decent bump and you would cringe. Horrible setup. It was an old pro comp lift.

I bet you were not rubbing your leaf springs. My 12 inch wide rims didn't rub the leaf springs at all on 12.5 wide tires. They did rub the leaves when I had 18" wide boggers.

If your 12.5" wide tires rub the leaf springs, then you bought the wrong wheels.

Spoolin'

Reaction score
I bet you were not rubbing your leaf springs. My 12 inch wide rims didn't rub the leaf springs at all on 12.5 wide tires. They did rub the leaves when I had 18" wide boggers.

If your 12.5" wide tires rub the leaf springs, then you bought the wrong wheels.

They rubbed the leaf springs. I had pictures of them rubbing the rust off over time where the tire made contact. I didn't buy the wrong wheels, but thanks for telling me how my own truck drove.

Latest posts

Members online