2015+ Turbo Retrofit kit on 2011-2014

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I know this is old news to most... but we still get tons of calls and questions about this subject so we made a little video.

Ford has a complete kit that includes everything needed to put a 2015+ turbo on the f250 f350 f450 2011-2014 trucks (you will really get the latest style turbo which is the 2017 style, but most call it the 2015 retrofit kit). You can piece it together for a little cheaper but these kits are VERY inclusive. All Ford OEM parts. It includes everything from the up pipes, exhaust manifold, gaskets, turbo, pedestal, etc... etc...

The newer style turbo is more reliable, easier/cheaper to rebuild, and can gain over 100hp with just a turbo swap. It does require a custom tune and will spool a little slower.

Check out this video to learn more and see the differences.
https://youtu.be/iaovphLcRbw

Harley-6.4

Reaction score
How long does it usually take to take out the old turbo and install the new one, without taking off the cab.

sootie

Reaction score
I usually do it in a day. But, I lift the cab so not sure how it compares with the OP

KCTurbos

Reaction score
How long does it usually take to take out the old turbo and install the new one, without taking off the cab.

Depends on whether you are an experienced mechanic vs backyard mechanic.

But I had a friend that did one in his driveway. It took a weekend of a couple hours per day. It is not much harder than just a normal turbo swap.

farm boy

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of this upgrade. My truck runs awesome and smokeless.
I don't notice the slower spool-up but I can definitely feel the extra power. Truck tows like a dream.

joebuck

Reaction score
I don't notice the slower spool-up but I can definitely feel the extra power. Truck tows like a dream.

Agreed with the right tuning the slower spool up is hardly noticeable if at all, but up top this turbo makes some power and tows damn nice!

08Monster

Reaction score
I just did one yesterday, took me about 10hrs, cab on. did an egr ****** and replaced the cac while I was in there.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

jcain

Reaction score
If y'all can't/don't notice the spool up difference after swapping from an 11-14 to 15+, get your seat Dyno and gyro calibrated

KCTurbos

Reaction score

Some guys notice the slower spool up, and others don't. It is possible you had something wrong with your old turbo and/or you fixed a boost/exhaust leak you didn't know you have that caused the 2011 turbo to lag a little

I would never go back to running an 11-14 turbo, I love it more in every way... but I have met a few pissed off people who were disappointed they can't tow max weight at 1400rpms anymore with the 2015 turbo and have to turn off 6th gear to bring the rpms up a little.

So I always make sure to point it out so the customer can make an informed decision and don't feel "cheated"

curtis270

Reaction score
the world is too sensitive anymore. tell them you cant have your cake and eat it too lol. I learned long ago someone is always going to be unhappy no matter what you do.

sootie

Reaction score
Some guys notice the slower spool up, and others don't. It is possible you had something wrong with your old turbo and/or you fixed a boost/exhaust leak you didn't know you have that caused the 2011 turbo to lag a little

I would never go back to running an 11-14 turbo, I love it more in every way... but I have met a few pissed off people who were disappointed they can't tow max weight at 1400rpms anymore with the 2015 turbo and have to turn off 6th gear to bring the rpms up a little.

So I always make sure to point it out so the customer can make an informed decision and don't feel "cheated"

or just get proper tuning...

curtis270

Reaction score
whos tuning do you recommend? I have tyrant right now but had ********** Diesel on my last truck there was a lot of data logging and emailing back and forth and I felt like my truck was running the best it could but the tyrant tune has been just a heres the file download it and go type of deal.

Swaan

Reaction score
Truck sourse diesel only tunes on the EZ link. Wont tune SCT

Latest posts

Members online