Project: WUT D P F

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
I've already massaged the valance a BUNCH. There is a lip that hangs down at the back edge of the bumper that is in the way of the valance fitting better. I'm deciding if I'm cutting that lip off or finding another way to modify things.

psduser1

Reaction score
Finally got the exhaust finished, wheels and tires mounted and after sitting for months...a really good inside and out cleaning! It's nice to be driving my truck again, and not the shop van. Still lots more on the "to do" list.

img_2324.jpg

img_2326.jpg

img_2330.jpg

Little comparison of progress from where the truck started to today.

That turned out really nicely!
I dont know much about djm kits, but I may have to learn something new.:slap:
Looks pretty straightforward for a 2wd daily setup.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It's in my plans to do an engine build, but I don't have time for that right now. I just needed to get the engine running good enough to daily drive and clean up some stuff I didn't care for. Of course, like everything, I could have done just what was "needed", but that's now how my stupid brain works.

img_2197.jpg

Removed AFE Stage II
Removed "USA" Turbo with Banks Power Elbow (and rest of rusty exhaust...my OCD doesn't like rust)
Removed Leaky Modified OE Turbo Pedestal
Removed Modified and Greasy Intake "Spider"
Removed Unknown Regulated Return
Removed Injectors (half stamped "reman", several not working well)
Removed Glow Plugs
Removed Mismatched Batteries
Removed Squished/Rubbed Modified Headlight Wiring
Removed FASS HD Pump and Wiring
Removed Modified Engine Wiring Harness
Removed Unknown Age UVC Gaskets and Harnesses

img_2217.jpg

Installed Modified Stock Turbo (from my old Race Truck PMR Motor)
- Rebuilt with 360° Thrust Bearing and 7x7 Billet Wheel
- Banks 1.0 Turbine Housing with Wastegate
- Original ATS (pre Purple Palace) Ported Compressor Housing
- Banks Big Head Actuator
Installed New Non-EBV Pedestal
Installed Driven Diesel Fuel Bowl ****** Regulated Return
Installed Full Force Diesel 180/0% Single Shots
Installed Lightly Used Glow Plugs from my old Race Engine
Installed Lightly Used UVC Gaskets and Harnesses from my old Race Engine
Installed Cleaned Up (unnecessary wires removed) Engine Wiring Harness from my old Race Engine
Installed Lightly Used Matching Optima Batteries from my old Race Truck
Installed New S&B Filters Intake Kit (not shown)
Installed Intake "Spider" From my old PMR Race Engine

img_2248.jpg

Just Another View

img_2236.jpg

You can see the fuel tank in the first picture with the bed off, and like everything else, it was filthy with 20 years of dirt. Scrubbed the crap out of it, inside and out and it looks brand new.

Of course, there has to be something between the fuel tank and the regulated return. Since I still had the AirDog I from my race truck, I started there. This pump is one of the originals, from back in the day when Charlie was first running the company, and it was always rock solid in the race truck. Hopefully it brings good "ju ju" to this project. Sorry, no pictures.

img_2246.jpg

After the AirDog I used one of our Driven Diesel Dual Bosch fuel delivery kits. Normally this setup would have a pre-filter, but that isn't necessary with the AirDog. Right now I'm just running one of the pumps along with the AirDog to get the truck up and running. Future plans will require the second pump for sure, so it's just a bit of wiring away from being up and running.

After the pictures above, I decided I was going to run dual crankcase breathers to a catch can. I moved the driver side valve cover to the passenger side and I installed modified the E-Series van valve cover I had on my race engine to fit on the driver side. They will be tied to a catch can and then back to the crankcase breather, since that is one of the things our local emissions inspectors look at. I'm currently waiting on the parts to finish plumbing the crankcase vent, after which I can finish installing the passenger side intercooler tube and the S&B intake tube and the engine portion will be done.

Engine fired up and ran beautifully. Forgot how much I love the sound of a nice single shot 7.3L.

More to come...

Dang Dennis! Back in a 7.3!
This is awesome to see!! Exactly what i would do if or when it comes down to it. Love the plate! Lol

Finally got the exhaust finished, wheels and tires mounted and after sitting for months...a really good inside and out cleaning! It's nice to be driving my truck again, and not the shop van. Still lots more on the "to do" list.

img_2324.jpg

img_2326.jpg

img_2330.jpg

That has turned out sharp for a 2wd, Dennis!! I dig it. Looks like it could be fun once it hits the 500hp mark..

That sucks you got nipped by the gooberment. Sorry to hear that!

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
No major updates, just some small stuff I had to do because I was used to driving newer trucks with more "creature comforts" for the last 6 years.

img_2408.jpg

GenTex HomeLink Rear View Mirror, because I can't stand garage door remotes on my visors!

img_2409.jpg

img_2410.jpg

2008+ OEM Heated Trailer Tow Mirrors, because the 99-07 mirrors are just too small after you've had these! So far, just the mirror motors are hooked up, and they operate backwards (push the control right, mirror moves left). I haven't had time to investigate that. The UP/DOWN is perfect.

The smoked lenses on the mirrors are from Amazon. They have a white "running light" that switches to a moving orange when the turn signal is activated.

Next on the agenda is going into all of the doors. Each one will be a project:
- New OEM Door Lock Actuator
- New OEM Power Window Regulator/Motor Assembly
- Old Window Tint Removal and Glass Replacement if Scratched
- Thorough Cleaning of All Surfaces
- Sound Deadening (prep for stereo work)
- New Door Handles (rears all the way around)
- Finish Mirror Wiring (front doors)

I was going to do white PTM door handles, but now with the black wheels I will probably leave them black for contrast.

Ordered stuff to start the stereo setup this weekend. Head unit will probably get put in soon, the stock one SUCKS, I need my music collection (USB memory stick) back!

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
No major updates, just some small stuff I had to do because I was used to driving newer trucks with more "creature comforts" for the last 6 years.

img_2408.jpg

GenTex HomeLink Rear View Mirror, because I can't stand garage door remotes on my visors!

img_2409.jpg

img_2410.jpg

2008+ OEM Heated Trailer Tow Mirrors, because the 99-07 mirrors are just too small after you've had these! So far, just the mirror motors are hooked up, and they operate backwards (push the control right, mirror moves left). I haven't had time to investigate that. The UP/DOWN is perfect.

The smoked lenses on the mirrors are from Amazon. They have a white "running light" that switches to a moving orange when the turn signal is activated.

Next on the agenda is going into all of the doors. Each one will be a project:

- New OEM Door Lock Actuator

- New OEM Power Window Regulator/Motor Assembly

- Old Window Tint Removal and Glass Replacement if Scratched

- Thorough Cleaning of All Surfaces

- Sound Deadening (prep for stereo work)

- New Door Handles (rears all the way around)

- Finish Mirror Wiring (front doors)

I was going to do white PTM door handles, but now with the black wheels I will probably leave them black for contrast.

Ordered stuff to start the stereo setup this weekend. Head unit will probably get put in soon, the stock one SUCKS, I need my music collection (USB memory stick) back!
To fix the horizontal movement, you'll have to take the mirror apart to access the motors, and swap the wires on the horizontal one. They run a goofy 3 wire circuit that you cant fix in the pigtail, and the mirrors dont come apart too hard. Whats weird is the memory mirrors dont do it.

Truck looks great by the way!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Thanks! I was hoping I could swap the left/right wires at the switch (which someone else suggested works), but I haven't gotten around to looking at it. That's low priority for now, as I don't move the mirrors often.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Once you set them, they rarely move. If anything I only adjust mine up and down lol

Looking good, cant wait to see more.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
I generally have to adjust after washing and drying. Otherwise, they don't get touched.

I can't wait either. Lots of little things planned.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Magaged to get a little time on the truck this weekend. Finally got the garbage stock CD changer out and a decent head unit in. Actually amazing how much better the stock crappy speakers sound with a clean head unit. Now I've at least got BlueTooth Phone, NAV and my USB Music Collection back!

img_2447.jpg

A little wiring progress work on the adapter harness.

img_2455.jpg

Head unit installation complete. Will have to go back in to connect RCAs when I get around to amplifiers and such, but good enough for now.

img_2457.jpg

Pulled the instrument cluster and A/C controls and upgraded to LEDs since I had the dash trim off. The picture sucks, but you can tell how much brighter they are during the day, which makes them much easier to see. May have to dim at night, but I'm not worried about that.

Reaction score

img_2324.jpg

img_2326.jpg

img_2330.jpg

Damn fine truck

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Magaged to get a little time on the truck this weekend. Finally got the garbage stock CD changer out and a decent head unit in. Actually amazing how much better the stock crappy speakers sound with a clean head unit. Now I've at least got BlueTooth Phone, NAV and my USB Music Collection back!

img_2447.jpg

A little wiring progress work on the adapter harness.

img_2455.jpg

Head unit installation complete. Will have to go back in to connect RCAs when I get around to amplifiers and such, but good enough for now.

img_2457.jpg

Pulled the instrument cluster and A/C controls and upgraded to LEDs since I had the dash trim off. The picture sucks, but you can tell how much brighter they are during the day, which makes them much easier to see. May have to dim at night, but I'm not worried about that.
Dam. Those are bright!! Good work.

live life full throttle

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Damn fine truck
THANKS!

Dam. Those are bright!! Good work.
I agree. The turn signals and "cruise" light can't be missed during the day, which is nice. Seems like I got the high beam bulb in backwards, will fix when I pull the dash again. Still haven't driven at night, betting I end up dimming the lights at night.

That is such a clean truck... damn I hate living in the rust belt.
Thanks! I'm certainly glad I don't live where rust is an issue. As a "car guy", that would severely hurt my OCD.

Reaction score
THANKS!

I agree. The turn signals and "cruise" light can't be missed during the day, which is nice. Seems like I got the high beam bulb in backwards, will fix when I pull the dash again. Still haven't driven at night, betting I end up dimming the lights at night.

Thanks! I'm certainly glad I don't live where rust is an issue. As a "car guy", that would severely hurt my OCD.
I couldnt do it I hate rust I think I would loose my **** over some damn rust

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.