Can you put split shot injectors in a OBS engine?

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I have a 2001 super duty here I just put a 94 short block in. I switched everything including the front cover and pickup tube over and now the truck has a rough idle and miss while driving. Contribution and buzz test come back good but I suspect injectors anyway as it had coolant in the oil but it ran Ok when it was dropped off so the customer is having a hard time believing that and I don't blame him. The customer talked to XDP a couple days ago and they told him it is caused by running split shot injectors in a engine designed for single shot. I have a hard time believing it as I thought guys did OBS short block swaps all the time? Any help would be appreciated!

superpsd

Reaction score
As far as I have read split shots have been swapped into obs trucks before with the proper tuning to run them. I think a 7.3 is a 7.3. Guys have also swapped the obs motors into the PMR years as well to get a stronger bottom end. Think your problem is somewhere else?

mandkole

Reaction score
The long block doesnt care what injectors go into it and vice versa. I gather you swapped wiring harnesses too? Since you changed the pickup tube, have you checked for steady oil pressure/supply? Any oil aeration? I'd be checking my work again--just when you think everything is covered.. ugh.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
The long block doesnt care what injectors go into it and vice versa. I gather you swapped wiring harnesses too? Since you changed the pickup tube, have you checked for steady oil pressure/supply? Any oil aeration? I'd be checking my work again--just when you think everything is covered.. ugh.
Thats exactly what I thought! Are the pistons identical? Yes i did, i used nothing but the rotating assembly and heads. How do you check for oil areation?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Thats exactly what I thought! Are the pistons identical? Yes i did, i used nothing but the rotating assembly and heads. How do you check for oil areation?
yes the longblock is identical. just a couple cosmetic revisions when going to a sd block.. check for aeration, with the truck running pull the dipstick and it will be covered in bubbles(more foamy i guess) or as soon as you **** it down pull the dilstick.... there will always be a couole bubbles but it shouldn't ever look like dish foamy dishwatter if you will...

live life full throttle

mandkole

Reaction score
Yeah, this should be a straight forward swap and it looks like you have everything covered. Just hoping you dont have an oil pickup or supply issue. Did you check the health of the 94 motor (compression and leakdown)? If you are somehow pulling air thru the pickup tube, the oil will be foamy in the reservoir and in the pan.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Yeah, this should be a straight forward swap and it looks like you have everything covered. Just hoping you dont have an oil pickup or supply issue. Did you check the health of the 94 motor (compression and leakdown)? If you are somehow pulling air thru the pickup tube, the oil will be foamy in the reservoir and in the pan.
No I didnt. It does have a decent amount of blowby but it cranks smooth with fuel disabled so I dont think it has any dead cylinders. I drained the oil right after running it and it wasnt foamy at all. Also I didnt remove the pickup tube from the front cover at all so im thinking thats not my issue. I just wish XDP wouldn't have told this guy that he needs to run his single shot injectors.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
No I didnt. It does have a decent amount of blowby but it cranks smooth with fuel disabled so I dont think it has any dead cylinders. I drained the oil right after running it and it wasnt foamy at all. Also I didnt remove the pickup tube from the front cover at all so im thinking thats not my issue. I just wish XDP wouldn't have told this guy that he needs to run his single shot injectors.
with the fuel cut off it will crank super smooth, even pass a cct but all that means is that all the cylinders are equally good or equally bad and could have bad compression on all eight...

live life full throttle

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
with the fuel cut off it will crank super smooth, even pass a cct but all that means is that all the cylinders are equally good or equally bad and could have bad compression on all eight...

live life full throttle
Good point. I guess if the injectors check ok I will do a compression test.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Just did resistance checks. All good, coming apart now for a compression check and then taking the injectors to get tested. This thing has me really frustrated!

Best of 390 and worst of 320. Obviously that's bad, but is that bad enough to cause a rough idle and "miss"?

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
So I got the results back from getting the injectors tested. Three are flowing no fuel at idle and the rest are only flowing 2 or 3 cc's when it should be 20. I'd say I found the problem! Lol

Latest posts

Members online