Starter "Spins" First Crank Only When Cold

giz

Reaction score
Last Fall I had some issues starting my truck, warm or cold, the starter sounded like it was spinning without engaging the flywheel. I replaced the starter, and in that process I found my oil cooler had ruptured.

Fast forward - I did headstuds, headgaskets, oil cooler, etc and kept the new starter installed.

Before I did all that work, I hadn't ever needed to plug my truck in at night. This winter I did, and if I forgot I would not be able to start the truck. When plugged in, I almost always needed to crank the engine twice. The first crank, the starter would sound like it was spinning up very quickly and stopping (maybe for only a second) and the truck would always start the second time. Once warm, I have no issues starting.

I also recently started having what I believe are stiction issues. Until warmed up, the idle is rougher than normal but the truck is not throwing any codes.

Any ideas? FICM voltage is normally 47-47.5v, injectors are unknown age... I've had the truck since 170k and it now has 230k miles.

Latest posts

Members online