obs downpipe

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
I just got the engine out of my '96, after seeing the stock down pipe it will be going back together with a 3" dp. I just don't know exactly how much to "massage" the firewall without the engine in for reference. Anyone have any pics that might give me some ideas?

Usually slides in there the cab angles back. Get yourself a BFH & go do work.

fatsix

Reaction score
I just got the engine out of my '96, after seeing the stock down pipe it will be going back together with a 3" dp. I just don't know exactly how much to "massage" the firewall without the engine in for reference. Anyone have any pics that might give me some ideas?

It's mostly around the pinch weld area.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
They do, but not for diesel (not like I have to pay attention to that), but I only want it for the cab, as its getting a flatbed.

Sent from my LG-C900 using Board Express

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Think you can fit a full 4" in there with that 3" lift?

I wouldn't say a 'full' 4" dp will fit with a 3" body lift.
I have one on my '96, and the pipe is massaged heavily to fit.
Still, it's quite larger than a 3", but it's dimpled good here and there to clear everything.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
I wouldn't say a 'full' 4" dp will fit with a 3" body lift.
I have one on my '96, and the pipe is massaged heavily to fit.
Still, it's quite larger than a 3", but it's dimpled good here and there to clear everything.

How bad do you have to massage it? Also did you custom make the full downpipe or modify a superduty one?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
I put a 4" DP on mine....cut the firewall out , fabbed the pipe from a NAPA short 90 & a long 45 with a slip joint in it ....fit the pipe to a plate welded to a short chunk of 3" (about 3/4" long) directly behind the turbo, then fabbed a heat shield and steel cap for the firewall.....

PITA, but cools better....it's not always about how MUCH hp you make, but about how much heat you can get rid of....

I don't do anything BUT tow with this rig, (20,000 lbs gross), and the long hills (12 miles - 6%), out here on the west coast will test everything.....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.