Oil Sample Results

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ok, got kind of a weird one n a good customers truck. Truck is a 12 F450 pickup. He came in for some leaks the turbo oil fittings and plastic drain plu were leaking. Replaced the fittings and the pan with a metal one. On removal of the pan, found a bunch of aluminum pieces in it. After talking with a couple of guys at the shop, we figured it was flashing off the heads or something cause it was real thin and were larger chunks. Talked to the customer about it, and he decided to put it together and run it. He is now taking some oil samples, to determine if tyere are any issues. Cat is doing the samples, and he got his first one back, and immediately called me.

Truck has had about 1000 miles on fresh bulk 10-30 motorcraft. Truck is all stock, and did about 100 miles or so of towing 20k or so, customer does not think it went into regen, but isnt positive. He also said it didnt idle for any extra time than before, was mostly driving it. He picked the truck up from us saturday afternoon.

Oil sample came back showing low oil viscosity and 4% fuel dilution. Truck runs great and does jot have any abnormal tail pipe sediment, smoke, etc. No loss of power or fuel mileage for what that is towing that much.

Any thoughts? That seems to be a bunch of fuel in a short amount of time...

Last edited:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Oh and truck has about 115k on it and been used as an equipment tow pig its whole life.

pdumont01

Reaction score
Maybe have the oil sent out to another place just to verify? There is no place fuel can leak into the crankcase besides blowby on these if I'm not mistaken. I had one with metal in the pan but it was because the guy ran it out of oil and kept running it. Sounds like a strange one. Best of luck

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

dsberman94

Reaction score
Don't send them to black stone. Independent results have shown they have bad readings and when called out on it they deny everything. Polaris labs is a good one.

Latest posts

Members online