Twin Hauler gets some upgrades

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
And i figure i can sell my roller afterwards for 500 easy as it has a Dana 60 Front axle under it.

Didn't get the new truck last night, had issues with my trailer lights that I had to fix. Should be picking it up later today though.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Got the truck but it was pouring rain so no picks. Interior is rough but it has some good options so I might combine the 2 gassers I have and make one good one after my diesel is done.

Should start tearing it down this coming week. My boys 13th bday party is this weekend so prob will not work on it over the weekend.

Starting to feel like Christmas is coming LOL

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Forgot my phone at home so no pics, but I got the seats all removed and 6 of the 8 body bolts removed. Last 2 will need a little o/a help. Had 5-6 beers while working so figured playing with fire while all alone in the shop was a bad idea so I called it a night. Will be back in there tomorrow night and plan to get the truck on the lift, last 2 bolts removed, and the cab off the frame by end of the night.

Then it is on to removing the leaf spring suspension to make room for the 06 suspension. Hope to be installing the coil suspension this week so next week everything can go for paint.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Last edited:

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Got the cab off the lift and the frame in the air last night. Between the impact gun, Oxy/Act torch, and a big hammer i got the frame completely stripped down. Then i put in some modified truck rear springs, and started to mock/mount up the new front end suspension components.

I am surprised that most of the holes are already there, just need to drill a few to mount the front coil buckets and arm mounts. Also need to make a hardware run as i don't have anywhere near enough bolts to get everything together properly.

No pic of the finished product but here is part way through stripping the frame.

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/...F-AE60-4B8F-BA2D-86431AB21996_zpspqm838es.jpg

bordo380

Reaction score
I'm so jealous of your up coming coil set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I have been doing some measuring and i am starting to worry that the 4400# springs might bring the truck down to low. I am planning to run a 305/50/20 tire on stock Platinum wheels and idk about them rubbing. Only one way to find out though, and I have 2 sets of stock springs to play with if the 4400# ones don't work out.

Hoping to get some more wrench time in on this over the weekend, but my schedule is filling up fast with family stuff.

bordo380

Reaction score
I bet those will clear. The offset might be different. My 20's were 2" further in.(king ranch). I had to go the spacer route to get them moved out to the edge of the fender. My 275/65/20's rub on the aft plastic fender portion at the first part of the turn, then clear as it goes past. I plan on trimming.

sootie

Reaction score
you wont like the 4400 lb springs. it would be better to cut 1.5 coils out of a 5600 lb set. You will be meeting the bump stops every few seconds otherwise as well as increasing body roll which ex's are bad for anyway.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I figured the bump stops would be an issue. I was planning to control the body roll with a good set of King 2" or 2.5" shocks.

Not sure what the stock springs that I have are, but the are a good bit beefier than the 4400# ones.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Ok, So i got the complete front suspension swapped in. Wasn't to bad, especially using the Magnetic drill.

Working on figuring out the rear suspension now. I am thinking about swapping to Deaver rear springs with airbags for when I am towing. That or taking a set of stock rear truck springs and removing a leaf or 2 to get the ride height that I want. Also want to add traction bars for the rear.

Any recommendation for who to talk to about Deaver springs? Thinking PMF for the traction bars.

Jomax

Reaction score
Ok, So i got the complete front suspension swapped in. Wasn't to bad, especially using the Magnetic drill.

Working on figuring out the rear suspension now. I am thinking about swapping to Deaver rear springs with airbags for when I am towing. That or taking a set of stock rear truck springs and removing a leaf or 2 to get the ride height that I want. Also want to add traction bars for the rear.

Any recommendation for who to talk to about Deaver springs? Thinking PMF for the traction bars.

Get rear CARLI springs for the 2008+ they make rear leveling springs.

cbf9703

Reaction score
I can't speak to any of the fancy stuff, I have a truck springs and lift under mine and homemade traction bars. I like that it doesn't squat as bad towing, even without airbags. I used to pull a 25 foot toy hauler that weighed in around 10 K.

I hear great things about the Carli setups... I might have to bite the bullet on my next truck.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Get rear CARLI springs for the 2008+ they make rear leveling springs.

That will require moving the spring perches won't it? Not that I am against that, but wonder if there is enough room on the frame since it is different than a truck frame.

Also I am going to be lower than stock. All I see on there web site is lift kits. I want to try to stay close to the ride height my old leaf spring suspension is at now, but with the nicer ride of the -5+ suspension setup.

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
That will require moving the spring perches won't it? Not that I am against that, but wonder if there is enough room on the frame since it is different than a truck frame.

Also I am going to be lower than stock. All I see on there web site is lift kits. I want to try to stay close to the ride height my old leaf spring suspension is at now, but with the nicer ride of the -5+ suspension setup.

I know a local guy that did it. I'd re use the factory hangers

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I just need to find springs now that are not lift springs. Everything I have found so far is to lift the truck.

I am reading that the 2011+ springs are softer than the earlier years. Wonder if that will give me a better ride and also lower the truck a little bit. I figure I could always do a drop shackle if it is still higher in the rear than I want.

That might also give me some adjustability too.

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
I just need to find springs now that are not lift springs. Everything I have found so far is to lift the truck.

I am reading that the 2011+ springs are softer than the earlier years. Wonder if that will give me a better ride and also lower the truck a little bit. I figure I could always do a drop shackle if it is still higher in the rear than I want.

That might also give me some adjustability too.

Deaver makes a replaceable spring pack for stock hight 2011+. Just call them and say it's for a 2011 truck.

The trucks with the longer rear springs do ride better. The rear actually moves when hitting a bumps lol

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Deaver makes a replaceable spring pack for stock hight 2011+. Just call them and say it's for a 2011 truck.

The trucks with the longer rear springs do ride better. The rear actually moves when hitting a bumps lol

(adds this to list of phone calls to make tomorrow)

So 2011 Deaver springs, and if that doesn't give me the height I am looking for, I will probably go with a drop shackle or a flip hanger.

I would assume they are rated for the GVWR of the truck. Combine that with the rear air assist bags and I should get a nicer ride and still be able to tow when needed.

Jomax

Reaction score
(adds this to list of phone calls to make tomorrow)

So 2011 Deaver springs, and if that doesn't give me the height I am looking for, I will probably go with a drop shackle or a flip hanger.

I would assume they are rated for the GVWR of the truck. Combine that with the rear air assist bags and I should get a nicer ride and still be able to tow when needed.

For the GVWR. I do not know. But with bags I wouldn't ever worry.

Latest posts

Members online