7.3 smoky stage II

72ford250

Reaction score
My 1997 7.3 is very smoky when you stomp on the go pedal. And seems to be much worse on hot days. With AE I have Montitor boost, icp, duty cycle. The most I am seeing on icp is 2400/35% with about 30 psi on boost. Now all supporting mods have been done for stage II and has run tunes from two different turners both with same result throttle is always sensitive with tunes. I currently have a t500 hpop and have a honey badger Jr. On order. Will asking the hpop to produce 3,000 psi at wot help with smoke output?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79jasper

Reaction score
Stage II kinda means nothing.
What are the specifics?
Who's/what size injectors? Who's tunes? What turbo?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
T500 should feed those injectors unless you are towing uphill in a race tune. Then it might be searching for icp.

The hbjr will not run out of steam on those injectors regardless of nozzle size.

72ford250

Reaction score
Sorry about that info all in the signature but tapatalk doesn't show. Anyways there 160/80 rosewoods with d66 turbo and has been tuned by nltd and php. I like both turners just having a issue with the truck that clearly is the problem. I should have maybe 15,000-20,000 miles on them

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you go to one of the more nutless tunes does it clear up? Just some quick math but any pw commanded outside 3ms is being commanded from an empty injector. Or 3.2ms.

Fuel pressure set at 65+?
No boostleaks?
No hpo leaks?

72ford250

Reaction score
Fuel pressure is set at 65
No boost leaks
And no hpo leaks
It's just seems like on any tune even on the stock tune (for injector) will smoke bad but with no chip the truck runs good and doesn't smoke to bad at all. And every tune/tuner that I monitor with AE the duty cycle never goes past 35%and 2500 psi

superpsd

Reaction score
If it truly is only seeing 2400-2500 of icp I would put that on the investigate list. That's on the low side I would say. The performance tunes are likely mapped for around 3000. Why duty cycle will not go higher than 35% is beyond me. D66 turbos are known to be laggy. Are you cleaning up once the turbo is lit or is it still Smokey? You are at 6000 ft I would think 6000 ft elevation and a D66 would suck ass. Are you reading that 30 psi on gauge or AE thru the map?

Last edited:

72ford250

Reaction score
Ok I lied as looking through old data logs on the hottest tune I seen almost 3000/57% duty that fell to around 2700-2800/57%

superpsd

Reaction score
Well put the badger on and see if it can hold 3000icp. Might look at the OBS KC drop in turbo as well if budget allows.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well put the badger on and see if it can hold 3000icp. Might look at the OBS KC drop in turbo as well if budget allows.

Yea. Thst oaints a different picture. The tune is calling for 3000+ and its hitting it but then tanking. Same thing my truck did with all support mods but a stock hpop running 175cc a codes with 80&100 over nozzles.

"But the single shots use less oil than ______" Yea, until you do something that requires icp. Then they are hungry.

And i can only feel bad for the op running a d66. Blech.

72ford250

Reaction score
I have a 1.0 housing to help with spool but doesn't seem to make that big of a differences

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
See this all the time with D66 turbos. Even with a 1.0 housing they do not perform much better.

If you are spiking to 3000psi and holding 2700-2800psi in your hottest tune, there is no reason to upgrade your HPOP, as your ICP is just fine. If it were to be tanking to 2000psi, then that is a reason to worry. If your ICP is struggling to keep up with the demand, then your IPR will show it. 65% + means it is working about as hard as it can to hold pressure. So while 57% isn't that good, it isn't all that bad either.

I would bet on the turbo being the problem. May be in the tunes as well, but I bet with a good turbo you will clear up a lot of the smoke.

72ford250

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the replays guys what would cause the throttle to be extremely touchy of idle when running tunes for stage II I currently have the hydra installed and if I use one of php canned tunes for stock injectors the throttle is normal

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the replays guys what would cause the throttle to be extremely touchy of idle when running tunes for stage II I currently have the hydra installed and if I use one of php canned tunes for stock injectors the throttle is normal

You will want to contact your tuner about that. They should be able to adjust the pedal sensitivity for you.

TyCorr

Reaction score
You will want to contact your tuner about that. They should be able to adjust the pedal sensitivity for you.

Is it tuning related when you give it pedal it cuts out then cimes back online then cuts out then comes back on. Or is that something messed up in the ivs or tps?

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Is it tuning related when you give it pedal it cuts out then cimes back online then cuts out then comes back on. Or is that something messed up in the ivs or tps?

That would normally be associated with the pedal assembly itself. If it is just very sensitive, it can be tuning related. If it acts intermittent, like you describe, that is likely a pedal assembly problem. Normally you can connect a scan tool and watch APP to confirm bad readings.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ok. Thank you. Ive changed so much that my baseline for what's normal is gone.

Latest posts

Members online