Building of a I/O pontoon

TurboM700

Reaction score
I have had a few people ask me to do a build thread on my I/O pontoon that I built so here it is. (first off I know my spelling and grammar sucks so just look that the pictures if you’re a grammar nazi)

First off lets start with the back ground story. When I got married I acquired the pontoon boat very similar to this one but only 16 feet that was complete rotten out and needing everything from the floor up. Took me 2 summers of getting things the way I wanted and realizing how much I like having a pontoon of my own. Well fast forward to last summer and one of my father in-laws brothers decide that he wanted the pontoon left at the cabin for his drunk a$$ to use. I end up getting paid for the money I spent on the boat but never the amount of time I put in to it.

I had to “give” the other boat back last August, so I have been searching CL and other spots since then. I found this boat in SE Iowa February 26th and drove down and got it March 1st , left the Minneapolis Mn at 4 A.M to try and make it back before dark. When I was talking to the guy on the phone I asked him what condition the tires and lights are in since I have a 600 mile drive back to Minnesota with it. I got the typical response everything works great. I get down there both tires are flat and dry rotted and the lights don’t work. Got the tires aired up shoveled 4” of leaves off the pontoon and head home doing 65mph so I wouldn’t blow the tires up.
I introduce you to a 1989 24” Bass Buggy with a 40hp Evinrude.
IMG_1243.jpg

Made it home just before dark.
IMG_1245.jpg

At this point I had a lot of “good” ideas running thru my head. I wanted a big boat that would go fast(30mph) and be quiet when it idles down. All on a budget. (didn’t have 10k to spend on a 150hp 4-stroke outboard)
Again CL came into play and search for the next month for an old boat that had the famous GM 4cyl in it. I found this one 2hr away, gave the guy $500 for it.

1972 “something” with a Mercruiser outdrive and GM 140hp 3.0l
IMG_1291.jpg

Boat ran really well for being so old
th_IMG_1294.jpg

Removing motor from boat the “easy” way
IMG_1297.jpg

Getting rid of boat that no longer floats
IMG_1300.jpg

Next was the start of a love hate relationship with my TIG welder. Need to build a 3rd like pontoon that would hold the motor and keep it water tight along with the outdrive. Two 4x8 sheets of .125 5052 alum and stop time in Soildworks laying it and we have something that will work
IMG_1332.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

The part the motor and out drive need to be 2” thick to support and give the right distance from motor to outdrive. Also need to be tipped back 10’15 degrees to give proper trim angles.
Building the stern for the 3rd pontoon and test fitting the outdrive.
IMG_1341.jpg

Over 60ft of TIG welding 2 tanks of Argon and 10 pounds of .125 filler rod shes mostly done. Motor set in place.
IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

Meanwhile while taking breaks from welding I stripped the pontoon down to its frame and test fitted the new 3rd pontoon.
IMG_1362.jpg

Next was getting the motor in 3rd pontoon and getting the frame welded to the old pontoon. Added a few pics so you can get an idea how this was done.
IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

Woke up from a dream at 1am of having this boat all done and backing it into the water and it just kept sinking. That follow night I went to the lake a floated it for the 1st time. Sits perfectly level and very stable in the back. Even with an 800 pound motor and two guys on the back. (got a lot of looks from people when I was doing this.
IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

Next was getting the floor and carpet on. You can also see that I add an infloor gas tank that holds 32 gallons.
IMG_1375.jpg

At this point I also need to start the body work on the railing as I wanted these to be High Gloss Black. This is where things started to get out of control. Having a neighbor who does auto body work is not always a good thing. One night of talking to him telling me over and over “your building a hotrod pontoon you have to paint it hot rod colors” I gave in to is suggestions an we came up with black railings with a 2012 BWM orange for the center counsel and the sides.
Painting of the center counsel
IMG_1401.jpg

Between stripping and sanding the railings down for paint (well over 80hrs) I finished the center counsel and got the pieces of alum for the gauges done and anodize. Really like how these turned out.
IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

After getting the center counsel back from paint I came the conclusion that this pontoon is turn out way to nice to sit outside while I’m building it. So off the trailer it came and into my 18x32 garage. Still had just enough room to fit the wifes car in every night.
IMG_1428.jpg

Over the next weekend I got it all wired up and throttle and steering hooked up. First start up video (she runs).
th_IMG_1445.jpg

We painted the railings in 4 sections each sections took 2 nights to do the primary then the paint.
IMG_1430.jpg

Railings and orange sides on the boat. At this point I just cant wait to get it on the water.
IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

Before I could put it back on the trailer I need to paint and replace the bunks on the trailer. Since my truck was stuck in the back yard and I need 4 18’ boards brought home a TDI VW Golf should work right? (for all the people saying this is not safe I live less than a mile from Menards so go pound sand)
IMG_1482.jpg

Next was getting it slide back onto the trailer and out of the garage. As you can see I didn’t have a lot of room and this was rolling it out on the trailer hubs.
IMG_1483.jpg

On the trailer with the sides on.
IMG_1486.jpg

My goal during this entire build was to have it on the water by June 1st. Surprisingly I was a week ahead of schedule. Memorial weekend was her main outing and she did great. Had one small issue, when you get moving above 25mph it would push water thru the gas tank vent and into the tank. That was easily fixed.
IMG_1515.jpg

As I said earlier on of my goals was need to be quiet when idling and be able to go fast when I wanted to. Well with just me in it with a bent up prop with the wrong pitch it did 27mph. Once the bottom skinned ,lifting stakes on and the correct prop I should be good for atleast 35mph.
Here is a few videos of memorial weekend.
th_IMG_1511.jpg

th_IMG_1512.jpg

During this hole build I was struggling on what I wanted to do with seats and as the pontoon transformed to what it is today. I knew I could not just throw off the shelf seats on this boat. Thru a lot of research I found the company that builds most of the seats for pontoon boats. I order up the seats and was told I would have them in 3-4 weeks. 2 weeks go by and they call me up saying there done.
Had them shipped to work and man I was like a kid in a candy store on boxing them.
IMG_1534.jpg

Nice plush captains chair.
IMG_1533.jpg

Installed on the boat .
IMG_1537.jpg

This brings it to where it sits today.
I have some small task that need to be completed as I have time. Some of the bigs ones are a travel cover is getting made to keep the interior nice.

A bimi(sp) top is getting built or bought. Thanks to Unbroken’s FB page the other day I want to build something like this.
IMG_1552.png

But it will more then likely end up like this(stole the one off my old boat)
IMG_1547.jpg

Another axle on the trailer as this one right now hates life.
Dogs house over the motor
Swim platfourm off the back.

I must say building this boat almost caused me a divorce with my wife since I was always out working on it. But the first time out she figured out there is a method to my madness. She was/still is a little pissed that I went over the 6k budget that SHE set and that the seats in the pontoon are nicer then the ones in our house.

Now that you all have read this I’m looking for name ideas.

TurboM700

Reaction score
HTML:
Paid 2k for the boat with the motor sold the motor for 1200:toast:

Thanks guys for all complements. It's been a lot of fun to build and I hope I get to enjoy it for many yrs to come.

TurboM700

Reaction score
Thanks guys

One thing I forgot to add to my list is I want to try and get some vinyl done to go down the side of the boat that looks something like this. Find someone that wants to do this has turned into more of a PITA then installing the I/O part.

possible2.jpg

Mdub707

Reaction score
That came out awesome!

What about trying to buy one of the vinyl wraps that actually came off a boat, and just kind of modify it to work on yours?

TurboM700

Reaction score
Have you called local sign shops? I know my sign guy has done vinyl on boats and all sorts of other fun stuff

Every sign shop I talk to in town cant or doesnt want to do it. I have even went there with pictures say this is what I have this is what i want. Nothing.

I tried going a few places that build pontoons and they all quoted me north of a grand for them. For that price I will buy my own machine and do it my self. This shouldnt be that hard.

freddie

Reaction score
Awesome build.. Guess I never imagined a pontoon boat built like that, I like it

Posted from my Thunderbolt
Freddie

Fly By Night

Reaction score
Every sign shop I talk to in town cant or doesnt want to do it. I have even went there with pictures say this is what I have this is what i want. Nothing.

I tried going a few places that build pontoons and they all quoted me north of a grand for them. For that price I will buy my own machine and do it my self. This shouldnt be that hard.

If you get some dimensions I bet my guy would cut and ship them if you are comfortable applying them

Latest posts

Members online