Signs of a built transmission?

Strokersace

Reaction score
Just bought a stock (or so I thought) 4r100 to drop into Whitey and go behind the stock engine I’m putting in while I figure out what to do with the built engine w/ cracked block. Figured it’d be a good time to send the BTS to Brian for some freshening up.

Anyway, sent my dad to pick it up from the guy since I was out of town. Truck had been wrecked so he was parting it out. It was down in SW Missouri but the guy had bought it about a year prior from around Waco TX.

Got it home and immediately noticed that it was a Suncoast triple disk converter. Got to looking at the trans and it’s definitely been rebuilt and the case painted silver.

Is there anyway to tell, without completing opening it up, if it’s a suncoast built trans or if it has been rebuilt with aftermarket/billet parts???

Trying to figure out what I may have stumbled onto here!

psduser1

Reaction score
Pretty sure a competent trans guy could look over the valve body and see any mods, but the internals could be whatever, even with a modified vlv body.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Pretty sure a competent trans guy could look over the valve body and see any mods, but the internals could be whatever, even with a modified vlv body.

So true. I’m going to put in a call to suncoast to see if they can tell me a secret squirrel location where there might be a serial number or something. I haven’t pulled the pan but need to anyway so I’ll look over the vb closely.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
You can pull the TC, and input shaft with no tools. Then you can inspect if the input is billet atleast? Usually I think thats the first part that gets upgraded after VB and TC.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Just bought a stock (or so I thought) 4r100 to drop into Whitey and go behind the stock engine I’m putting in while I figure out what to do with the built engine w/ cracked block. Figured it’d be a good time to send the BTS to Brian for some freshening up.

Anyway, sent my dad to pick it up from the guy since I was out of town. Truck had been wrecked so he was parting it out. It was down in SW Missouri but the guy had bought it about a year prior from around Waco TX.

Got it home and immediately noticed that it was a Suncoast triple disk converter. Got to looking at the trans and it’s definitely been rebuilt and the case painted silver.

Is there anyway to tell, without completing opening it up, if it’s a suncoast built trans or if it has been rebuilt with aftermarket/billet parts???

Trying to figure out what I may have stumbled onto here!
Badass!

Could just be a valve body and tc upgrade. The typical upgrade for a dd trans.

How does the truck run? Or did you just buy it for the transmission?

live life full throttle

Strokersace

Reaction score
Badass!

Could just be a valve body and tc upgrade. The typical upgrade for a dd trans.

How does the truck run? Or did you just buy it for the transmission?

live life full throttle

Just bought the transmission only.

He said it ran like a raped ape though. Guy has a 6.7 as well so he wasn’t one of those “my old dinosaur 7.3 is the best thing EVER” type of guys.

I’m guessing you’re right about the vb and tc upgrades. I’m going to tear into it a bit this weekend and see what I can find.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Just bought the transmission only.

He said it ran like a raped ape though. Guy has a 6.7 as well so he wasn’t one of those “my old dinosaur 7.3 is the best thing EVER” type of guys.

I’m guessing you’re right about the vb and tc upgrades. I’m going to tear into it a bit this weekend and see what I can find.
10-4

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.