2013 vacuum pump issue.

Risktaker

Reaction score
I am nearly positive that I have a vacuum pump issue.

I have hard brakes and limited stopping unless you have a strong leg and can push it to stop.
I have not noticed if the air conditioner has been acting up due to its winter right now.

I checked the lines coming out of the vacuum pump and all look well. The pump is not leaking oil at all. I checked for pressure and did not get any pressure in the main line coming out of the pump.

I am just confused on how fast it went out. I was driving down the road and hit my brakes a little aggressive due to the traffic and they got really hard and i could barely stop. I crippled it home and here i am asking the question. Do i need to change my vacuum pump. Is there a relay to the pump or is this mechanical pump.

Thank you in advance for the help.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Are any of the wheels dragging, like locked up?

You have hydro boost actuated brakes. Not vacuum. If your power steering works chances are your hydro boost is also working fine.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Are any of the wheels dragging, like locked up?

You have hydro boost actuated brakes. Not vacuum. If your power steering works chances are your hydro boost is also working fine.

13s are vacuum booster bud.

I’d start by checking for any large leaks. Like maybe a hose came disconnected or had a hole worn in it or something. I haven’t seen a vacuum pump quit yet, seen plenty leak, but none actually quit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Risktaker

Reaction score
I checked all of the lines coming up to the last connection from the pump. I could not check at the pump due to the location of the last connection. Don't really want ot pull anymore stuff off unless i have to. Is that is what it is looking like? Is it possible that it might have lost vacuum there?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I checked all of the lines coming up to the last connection from the pump. I could not check at the pump due to the location of the last connection. Don't really want ot pull anymore stuff off unless i have to. Is that is what it is looking like? Is it possible that it might have lost vacuum there?

For your brake booster to quit working, it would have to be a massive leak. Can you hear any hissing when you hit the pedal in the cab?

Also with it running there is a junction with blue push tabs, disconnect that and put your finger over the engine side of the line, if you feel vacuum, the pump is good, if you can’t and you don’t see any hoses obviously disconnected, the pump is probably bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
So I was under the hood of one of these today and had a big "ooohhh yea, I remember now" moment... I've worked like 2 weeks in the last 1.5 months so I'm kinda spacey...

I totally forgot to take pics for OP today but will tomorrow.

I've had 1 of these fail... The internal sweeper was in 5 pieces

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Disconnect at any of these junctions and you should have enough vacuum to suck your finger in

Attachments

• 20210120_084520.jpg
    20210120_084520.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
  • 20210120_084524.jpg
    20210120_084524.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 70

Risktaker

Reaction score
Yes sir that is what I did, and nothing. I also checked to see if I was getting anything on the gauge and nothing. So it looks like I need to replace the vacuum pump?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Correct. The swash plate is in pieces probably.

Not a hard job at all. 25 mins for a seasoned guy probably hour and half for weekend mechanic.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
And to be clear this is a mechanical pump so engine has to be running.

Risktaker

Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen for guiding me in the right direction. I removed the pump. Everything seemed okay. I then removed the cover to look at the inside and there was the problem. The guts were all broken up. There was about three big pieces floating around and bunch of smaller ones. So its now replaced. I do appreciate your help. I am glad I went this route because it saved me a lot of heart ache. When I first looked it up, everything told me to replace the booster pump. I am glad I investigated and reached out to here. Would of been pissed if i replaced the booster pump and that was not it. LOL. Thank you once again.

Latest posts

Members online