Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > The Bunker > General Discussion Forum

Old 05-08-2013, 12:55 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
I believe American German shepherds tend to have a higher chance of the common hip problems that some of these dogs have. A good german bloodlines one can set you back a pretty penny though.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2
This is the biggest thing. We used to breed gsd's, and ours were all german bloodlines. For what you are looking for I would recommend a female just due to the fact males are good at protecting property, whereas a female will protect the family. Out of all the dogs we've had all our girls were twice as nasty as the guys. Our current bitch will stand up to anything that even thinks about touching one of us, and she's only 68lbs. I've watched her put our big males in there place, and cower. Like others have stated though I would start one in the puppy phase so that as it grows y'all are it's pack(that is the mentality they see). You will have a friend for life that is for sure. If you do find a good REPUTABLE breeder in your area ask about coming to spend time with the litter before you make your choice. That will help you make your decision on which pup will fit your family. That's how we always did it. Best of luck, and feel free to ask any questions that you don't get answered.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:41 AM
Mod Squad
Member's Gallery

Also ask the breeder about OFA on the parents. That is a hip check. You can't do it until they are two, so a pup won't have one. If the parents OFA good, chances are the pups will also be OK. A good breeder will not breed any GSD that does not OFA good.
SDRCM #478
PSA Conspirator # 22
Old 05-08-2013, 07:15 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Every breeder says they have german blood lines, Well Im sure they do somewhere along the line. But what has been introduced to those lines when the first dog in that line came from germany in 1950 or something. I have a GSD from a breeder that had paper work that showed german blood lines that I payed alot of money for. And he has seizures that hes been on meds for since he was 3. Hes had kidney problems that he went to the hospital for and was in there for a week, and he has bad allergys. The blood lines has been so watered down that you really have to be careful. They are great dogs and he is my best friend, they have alot of energy and need the room and space to work that off. Nothing worse than a person in a condo with a german shepperd.
1997 Ford F-350, 350cc 200% injectors, Stealth Billet SRP1.1 Pump, S467 turbo, AFE intake, NOS, A1000 custom fuel system, Intercooler, TS 6 postion w/Matt Robinson tunes, ARP head studs, 910springs, DI pushrods, Beefed up Trans, Work done by Unlimited Diesel
Old 05-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

This is my boy at 7 months, he is now about 120, Your question about male or female, the Female we had was a lot more hyper than this male, he is so laid back, he is fixed, but he will let my 18 month old do whatever to him, he just loves it. Very loyal dogs.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:28 AM
Mod Squad
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS Boysel View Post
Every breeder says they have german blood lines, Well Im sure they do somewhere along the line. But what has been introduced to those lines when the first dog in that line came from germany in 1950 or something. I have a GSD from a breeder that had paper work that showed german blood lines that I payed alot of money for. And he has seizures that hes been on meds for since he was 3. Hes had kidney problems that he went to the hospital for and was in there for a week, and he has bad allergys. The blood lines has been so watered down that you really have to be careful. They are great dogs and he is my best friend, they have alot of energy and need the room and space to work that off. Nothing worse than a person in a condo with a german shepperd.
My last Shepherd was born in the US. Both of his parents were on site at the breeders. Both of them were born in Germany, with a 100% German blood line. Double Coated almost coal black. Looked almost nothing like a Rin Tin Tin American bred GSD. We would have people ask us all the time if he was a GSD. We could take him out in public and he loved everybody. At home, if we had company, we had to put him in the Kennel, he wanted to eat anybody and everybody. Except children, he would let them crawl all over him and treat him like a stuffed toy.
SDRCM #478
PSA Conspirator # 22
Old 05-08-2013, 09:22 AM
General
Member's Gallery

My dog's mother was a shepherd, I miss her. Great dog, very intelligent, extremely strong, and very protective of her family.

My Current dog is her son, 1/2 shepherd, 1/2 Akita. And he's a fuggin retard.

Still a good dog, just dumb as a bad of rocks.
~Tom~ 02 F350 CCSB 4x4 SRW 7.3L, DIY-6637, Hydra, 4" TB-409SS MBRP, GS 3 in 1, EGT/Boost/Tranny, T500, FRx, COMP 910s, Fisher 8' MM2, 5" AL 1-piece Drive Shaft, Tymar HPX, NON-EBV Pedestal, Turbo Master, Wicked Wheel, Hutch/Harpoon, RR-Plenums/clamps, 203* TS and Billet Housing, ELC, Fumoto, Leveled, Airlift Bags, 16x10" on 35s, CCV Dumped, Foil, AIH, and EBV, Pontoons All Missing... Rebuilt Transmission at 137k~AE w/Ford Pack~
Old 05-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Dog I have now is the first dog I've had that wasn't a German Shepard...I love em!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:33 AM
General
Member's Gallery

We have a GSD, great dogs. He's 7 now and still acts like a pup. Kids can hit him with a stick, pull his tail, jump on him, etc, and he just stands there. But when he needs to protect, he gets quite mean. Best thing about them is when they get mad, they can instantly get back to normal.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Arisley who did you get yours from? are they still dreeding that same cross? id like to get one out of that cross if they are. If These things are anything like breeding coonhounds then if you get a good littler out of a cross all the other litters come out just as good with most of the same charachteristics.
2000 f250 ECSB 4x4 Flatbed d80 dually rear d60 frt, HYDRA PHP and ******** tuned, 4" pipes, 6637 air, stock turbo modded (WW2, turbomaster wastgate actuator, gutted ebpv) FRX, SB 1939CB clutch, Unlimited 160/30 sticks
For Sale
Old 05-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

I have two mixed German shepherds. One is a lab mix and not quite sure on the other, but I know they have gsd as one side. Like said above, you have to assert the alpha early. I've had both of mine since they were about 2-5 months (pound pups) and since day one have wrestled with them, and left no doubt who was boss. They will listen to me pretty much every time.

Extremely protective, but they take their cues from the owner mine will bark like crazy of someone walks up to my door unless I'm walking yo the door they then shut up and stay right behind me. If they've never met you, and you come inside the house before me, they get very aggressive, but if I come in first they are full of love. Extremely smart dogs, my male actually will open his kennel when told to and get inside then sit and wait for you to shut the door. Both are never happier than with constant attention, and they learn very quickly who family is.

Like said above, they take cues from you. Other night my roommate had a friend over who I was getting a sketch vibe from, next thing I know both my dogs are growling at the guy every time he moves. I didn't say anything, and he didn't do anything to provoke it, they just sensed what I was feeling and picked up on it.

I highly doubt I will ever own dog that isn't gsd or lab. Two favorite breeds in my book.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Some other goodies from Riffraff and Dieselsite
SELF TUNED
To Do List: Melling, Interior and sound system, 05 front end