Is Rotella really bad on a 7.3?

JD3020

Reaction score
Well i changed the oil this weekend during the 4 days its taken us to get correct brake shoes and everything put together. It had Rotella T6 5-40 in it, with around 3k miles, and its been in there since i think last May or April. In that time i blew up a converter, swapped HPOP's, and swapped injectors. Anyways i changed to Valvoline Premium Blue 15-40, not the synthetic stuff. Truck runs better and is quieter than before. Also had a racey idle and the RPM's constantly went up and down, and it seemed to smooth that out a little bit.

So IDK if the difference is going from somewhat worn out oil to fresh oil, or from Rotella to Valvoline, but i actually noticed a difference this oil change compared to changing the Rotella and never noticing a difference. :shrug:

bluedevilslax

Reaction score
I think that is my problem, if rotella eats injectors and HPOPs, I can tell that my oil pressure isn't what it should be and either I have stuck or worn out injectors because every morning start up or when it is a little chilly out my truck hazes pretty bad until it warms up and it actually drivin. So I am doing a change today and going to see if that changes anything and if not I guess it is about time for some forced upgrades when the funds present themselves.

JD3020

Reaction score
Is it a blue haze? I have fresh injectors and it blue hazes like crazy until i start driving it. But i think my issue is low compression, because the motor has a shake to it. But still not really any oil usage or super excessive blowbly. :shrug:

But driving it more today its definitely smoother and quieter running Valvoline than the T6. May buy another case before it goes off sale, right now its about $12 a gallon.

bluedevilslax

Reaction score
No it is a white haze and they are still stock sticks with 185000 on them. So I that is where is am leaning. No blue haze at all and I have just a tad bit of blowby. It all all white to but doesn't smell like coolant either.

02BigD

Reaction score
I run Schaeffer's in everything I own. There is some great reading about Schaeffers on the bobistheoilguy site. It has worked great for me and I have done multiple oil samples doing 10k mile oil changes and it is still good to go.

What weight are you running?

dieselflash

Reaction score
I'll bump this back up too, any long term results guys. I've always ran Rotella and I have an oil consumption problem, may have been my turbo that I replaced, haven't ran it long enough to tell. This has got me to thinking about trying Valvoline.

Jason

Reaction score
I ran rotella in my '02, over 100k miles, and never an issue like you guys are saying. Actually, almost 150k miles, sold it with 290ish k on the clock, and the motor was perfect when opened up....

ja_cain

Reaction score
I've noticed that they are offering a 15w40 synthetic blend now. Thinking about trying it out next oil change and see if it helps with the shear rate. May even have better low temp flow than conventional (below 30).

DWhite

Reaction score
Always ran Rotella 15/40 in our 7.3 since it was new in '99. Has around 245k on it and still running strong. Never noticed it burning or using oil and never had a major problem out of it.

Clem1226

Reaction score
I ran DELO 15/40 the first 370k or so miles with zero issues, switched to T6 for winter when I started getting romps on cold starts a few years back but had issues with sheer after anytype of hard use ( towing, Bay Area traffic etc). Basically after I beat on the T6 at all my idle would go all "big cam'ish".

So I bit the bullet and choked down $120 dollar oil changes with Mobil 1 5/40. No complaints with its performance. Then a few weeks ago I was buying supplies for a change and Delo 5/40 full synthetic was on sale for $16 a gallon and so far so good.

I have 438ish on factory sticks (have never had a valve cover off) and she still fires up in -10 degree weather on the first try without being plugged in. MPG is consistent AT 15 to 19 depending on stop and go or mostly freeway.

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
I ran DELO 15/40 the first 370k or so miles with zero issues, switched to T6 for winter when I started getting romps on cold starts a few years back but had issues with sheer after anytype of hard use ( towing, Bay Area traffic etc). Basically after I beat on the T6 at all my idle would go all "big cam'ish".

So I bit the bullet and choked down $120 dollar oil changes with Mobil 1 5/40. No complaints with its performance. Then a few weeks ago I was buying supplies for a change and Delo 5/40 full synthetic was on sale for $16 a gallon and so far so good.

I have 438ish on factory sticks (have never had a valve cover off) and she still fires up in -10 degree weather on the first try without being plugged in. MPG is consistent AT 15 to 19 depending on stop and go or mostly freeway.

Sweet!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

psduser1

Reaction score
Buddy ran Walmart special 15/40 for about 650k miles, on a bone stock 01.
On his second engine now, as the rings were gone in the first one. Still on the same oil.
Hard to sell him on any sort of upgrades, performance, or reliability wise.

mikes02ls1

Reaction score
Schaeffer 7000 oil how long are you going between oil changes? I used rubella twice since I owned but with hot shot secret stiction oil additive. Hope I didnt cause any problems. Mileage is 234k 00 F350 7.3

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Bought my old 7.3 with 267K it ran CAT 15W40 and was serviced by cat every 5K miles up until I bought it I always ran rotella at about the 4000-4500 mile mark the truck always used to loose power/rough idle. I saw Delvac was on sale at O'reilys switched to Delvac and never switched back to rotella ever again truck ran smoother on Delvac and never had that 4500 mile lost of power problem ever again.

I also tried Valvoline premium blue truck loved that oil also and it never had the problems rotella gave me either.

The original factory injectors went out at 305K took it to Ford to have the VC's pulled and injectors checked. Mechanic and service manger were amazed when they saw it was on the factory set of injectors they said they never seen a factory set last that long also this truck had 0 blowby.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
fb9a2dce0764d0ac0e96015501bb0dc7.jpg
53fd0748563f81ff1131e46251ed360a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk