6.0 to a 7.3

Reaction score
I searched and couldn't find any results but I am certain I saw this come up at one time. If I have a complete donor 7.3 truck and wanted to put it all over into a truck that was originally a 6.0 how hard would it be? I am assuming the hardest part would just simply be pulling the motors for the swap? Everything else would simply be the time consuming task off moving over the wire harness, computer, etc...? Would the dash cluster need to be swapped out as well?

If there is threads already on this and you have a quick link to them that would be great too, Thanks!

m_j

Reaction score
a local guy does that.
I think his 7.3 is going in to its third 05+ truck.

Reaction score
I have a 99 with a still stout drive train but the body is full of rust again. It was fixed several years ago after a wreck I had (was rear-ended) and I didn't really want to do all the body work again. Recently I bought me a very low mileage 2002 and am giving the 99 to my son for his first vehicle. He has already been driving it for a year now waiting to turn 16. Now he is 16 so its his but I still have the rust issue. I have NO use for a 6.0 (If you like them great, I am not trying to be mean or dis them, just not my cup of tea as they say) so I am interested in finding a newer truck for him and swap every thing over for reliability and low cost maintenance. I would have everything I need off of the 99 to go into the newer truck. Motor, 6 speed hand shaker, wiring etc...even exhaust, everything needed. I hope someone who has already done it (like your local guy) could give me some advice on what I need to look out for, issues that could come up etc... I am assuming all the tranny and motor mounts should line up between the new motors? If not, nothing a little bit of welding couldn't handle.

My sister works at a bank that sometimes has repo's come in that would be perfect for this or sometimes you find them cheap on craigslist because the motor is blown and the owner is done with the truck and wants it out of their way. I could hopefully get a nice truck cheap, spend a couple months doing all the labor and then my son would have a nice newer truck. I might even get another Father of the year coffee mug out of this deal, LOL

co04cobra

Reaction score
Its a straight forward swap. Auto cabs need floor hump changed if going to a 6spd.

ALL wiring needs changed from donor truck. If you do a 05 up cab you can independently wire back in upfitters, heated and lighted mirrors, or put 05 dash in whatever year cab you want and wire that stuff in.

Reaction score
Its a straight forward swap. Auto cabs need floor hump changed if going to a 6spd.

ALL wiring needs changed from donor truck. If you do a 05 up cab you can independently wire back in upfitters, heated and lighted mirrors, or put 05 dash in whatever year cab you want and wire that stuff in.

Converting over to manual is no problem Did that already to the 99. Running wires for heated and lighted mirrors is easy as well, did that for the new 2002 I got. If I leave the dash alone, will the gauges, dash lights, all work the same ? I basically swap the motor , trans, exhaust, some fuel lines maybe, then the wiring under the hood all the way (including) the computer next to the E-brake and the IDM in the fender well and I am good to go, right?

I am really liking this deal more and more!

co04cobra

Reaction score
Converting over to manual is no problem Did that already to the 99. Running wires for heated and lighted mirrors is easy as well, did that for the new 2002 I got. If I leave the dash alone, will the gauges, dash lights, all work the same ? I basically swap the motor , trans, exhaust, some fuel lines maybe, then the wiring under the hood all the way (including) the computer next to the E-brake and the IDM in the fender well and I am good to go, right?

I am really liking this deal more and more!

No, you can’t leave the 6.0 cluster and/or wiring to it. Dash needs to come out and 7.3 harness installed in whichever dash shell you prefer 99-07.

m_j

Reaction score
is there a How-to on removing 6.0 dash?
there is one for the OBS that was very handy to me a couple of times now

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.