2011 6.7 smoking at idle

11KingRanch

Reaction score
I’m hoping someone can help me out here if they have experienced this or know if it is anything to worry about. I have a deleeted 6.7 with H&S mini maxx, and S&B cai. I’ve had everything done for about a year and a half now, and about a few months ago I noticed it started smoking at idle after it is already at normal operating temps. I also just recently noticed my exhaust is vibrating enough to make a pretty loud noise while idling.

It may be nothing, or there could be something starting to go wrong that I dont know about. My EGR is also still on the truck, but it is unplugged. I’ve read that that can still cause some issues down the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rrkroll

Reaction score
How many miles on it? Sounds like a turbo.

11KingRanch

Reaction score
178k now. Had about 140k when all the work was done

rrkroll

Reaction score
If I was you I would pull the intake air hose and take a look at the turbo. You would be looking for shaft play in your turbo. Mine did the very same thing for about 2 months before the turbo blew up

08Monster

Reaction score
If I was you I would pull the intake air hose and take a look at the turbo. You would be looking for shaft play in your turbo. Mine did the very same thing for about 2 months before the turbo blew up

Easier said than done to just "pull the intake air hose".

To see the blades on these, you need to remove the upper intake manifold, and the lower intake manifold. Not a terrible job, but don't expect to do it in 5 minutes either. I would plan an hour at the very, very least.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

rrkroll

Reaction score
You can see the blades just by pulling the hose, if there is major runout it would be visible where the impeller scraped the housing, you will need to remove the intake plenum for any further inspection. do you have any problems with lag or smoke that seems excessive to you at takeoff?

11KingRanch

Reaction score
It does smoke pretty good if I get on it (which is rare). It used to only give a little puff but now it’ll leave a trail behind me the whole time I’m on the throttle. And the lag is about the same as it was from the beginning

11KingRanch

Reaction score
Also, I do have an oil leak that I believe is also coming from somewhere at the turbo. I was looking at it a couple weeks ago and could see a pool of oil in the valley

sootie

Reaction score
Also, I do have an oil leak that I believe is also coming from somewhere at the turbo. I was looking at it a couple weeks ago and could see a pool of oil in the valley

Pedestal gasket or oil feed line. More likely the latter

11KingRanch

Reaction score
Pedestal gasket or oil feed line. More likely the latter

Will that cause the turbo to fail over time? I mean I know these stock chargers suck anyways but could that shorten the life of it?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.