Thoughts on Stalling issue.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
New fuel filter, no water in fuel... truck sat all summer. Plowed the last two storms and battled a stalling issue during the last one. Just replaced the fuel filter today and it did it immediately. Idles all day long, put it in drive and do a WOT run once moving and it stalls out like a lack of fuel... gonna add more to the rank tomorrow(wondering if the pickup in the tank broke more) and see what it does...

Any thoughts? Common problems associated with these symptoms on IDI's?

DarkSide2.6

Reaction score
Any chance the fuel pump is weak and not supplying enough fuel for the wot run?

-Chris

Last edited:

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
Any chance the fuel pump is weak and not supplying enough fuel to the IP for the wot run?

-Chris

I hope not lol. I'm gonna add 5 gallons tomorrow. It had the pickup tube problem after 1/8 tank it wouldnt pickup and would die. Its at 1/4 tank and I'm wondering if the pickup tube got worse over the summer. It also had a fuel leak from the steel line on the frame rail over the summer... got some rubber hose and I'm gonna throw it where I roughly found the leak and see if it clears it up... maybe its sucking air... idk

DarkSide2.6

Reaction score
When you add the fuel put some fuel conditioner in also, just for piece of mind. Hope it's something simple and cheap!

-Chris

HuSlungDu

Reaction score
i had a problem with mine on the rubber line going from the frame rail to the lift pump. it would collapse after a little bit of suction. eventually it would open up, truck would start and then it would suck it closed again. you can tell just by reaching down there and squeezing it.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
Forgot to update this... I guess I over thought it and didn't check the oil... it was halfway to the end of the stick past the "add" mark. Filled it up and added 5 fresh gallons of diesel and it ran fine. Has a funky idle sometimes like when I'm sitting at a light. If I put it in park or neutral it will smooth out.. did stall twice on me on a pretty steep driveway tho... I put it in park on the driveway and hopped out.. idle got chitty and it died a second or two later... not sure at the moment anymore..

Jaredkeller96

Reaction score
when i had my idi motor it would idle all damn day long go to drive it nothing! it had two inline fuel filter and thats what made it do that. and we did check the pick up. we put in new fuel filter, pump and even replaced most of the injector lines

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
Forgot to update this. Ended up giving out on me in a driveway. Fuel line went in like 3 spots. Ran a soft line from the tank to as far as I could go... a all better now. Its would suck air and die when I pinned it because it had holes in the line :doh:

Always something simple with this truck lol

Thanks for the help tho guys, gave me a good starting point on it