Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 94-97 Aftermarket

Old 02-19-2018, 02:07 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man dave View Post
One of the reasons for more E4OD failures is that there are a lot more E4s out there than ZFs. There are also a lot of crappy auto rebuilders out there also. Try out a BTS or John Wood, they do not shift anywhere like a stock unit and are far more durable also.

My brother had a local shop modify his E4OD with "heavy duty stuff" for $3000, 40K miles later, the trans was kaput. My $3400 BTS install at the same time was still going strong with stageIIs driven hard. What's worse is that my brother's truck was only a stock turbo IDI.

You are correct about the driving differences between a stick and an auto. When my buddy swapped a stick for his auto, the truck gained 1.5mpg over the same 400 mile trip towing his small five'er. Also better coasting speed control on the downhills. But, as I have posted before, 6 months later, the auto (now modified with valve body and Precision TC) was back in. Seems that his left leg was getting more tired than he recalled when he was a kid.

And freeway stop-n-go is killer with a stick.
If I lived closer or in USA, no question Id be a BTS or J Wood. Here out in hinterland BC, I cant really have truck down for long. And again not wanting to repeat your brothers experience. In terms of stick driving 2 other trucks drove both for almost a million Kms combined with ZF5, (in fact same ZF5 heh heh).

mj current E4OD is late build 97 and I think Ill install the Precision TC and some valve body (not sure what parts I actually need) and run till I get ZF5 parts lined up.

j
'97 F250 ECLB Tan White Tan E4OD, 4:10s, D60, PMF 3.5 RSK, Anti sways front/rear w rear bags 5 blocks (129,000 Kms) DP, intake and 4 exhaust.
Truck pix & Write ups
Old 02-19-2018, 03:57 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
If I lived closer or in USA, no question Id be a BTS or J Wood. Here out in hinterland BC, I cant really have truck down for long. And again not wanting to repeat your brothers experience. In terms of stick driving 2 other trucks drove both for almost a million Kms combined with ZF5, (in fact same ZF5 heh heh).

mj current E4OD is late build 97 and I think Ill install the Precision TC and some valve body (not sure what parts I actually need) and run till I get ZF5 parts lined up.

j
Im not convinced it has to be a JW or a BTS. A good shop that is keeping up with transmission technology today and cares about their customers, can do a good build for you. We saw enough stuff during my BTS repair to know that they are not doing anything special in a 500hp build except using the latest 02-03 4R components.

I also have some E4 parts in mine (OD frictions are the first that come to mind). I don't have a 'big name' TC either-- a std stall, 5R110 triple disk by a local shop that was built knowing that it would see full power now and then. Its never missed a beat.

Lots of attention paid to the TCC control valving, use a mechanical pressure riser, and a VB that's drilled for a firm shift at high power. (The 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are don't break your back, but you know they are happening.)
1997 F250 CCSB 2wd (sold)
Old 02-20-2018, 12:46 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Thanks for the insight Mandkole. My plan is to speak with BTS and J Wood and go from there. Just wrapping up 2xD60 conversions on Son and my truck and will move forward with Tranny mods for mine, he’s rebuilding a spare FZ for his..

j
'97 F250 ECLB Tan White Tan E4OD, 4:10s, D60, PMF 3.5 RSK, Anti sways front/rear w rear bags 5 blocks (129,000 Kms) DP, intake and 4 exhaust.
Truck pix & Write ups
Old 02-20-2018, 09:45 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
If I lived closer or in USA, no question Id be a BTS or J Wood. Here out in hinterland BC, I cant really have truck down for long.
I don't know how close you are to him......but this guy knows his $hit and keeps up with technology.

http://hutchtrans.com/shop/

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
'97 Black F250HD SC, 3.55s, Punisher Trans, PI Converter, Dana 60 RSK w/ V & C SD springs, PIS 175/80s, T500, Cale's tunes, 910s, Smith Bros, ARPs, Fluidampr, IC, E-Fuel, 3" Plenums, CJC Traction blocks, HFHV IDM, T4/BASB, Horton, 268K
- 2016 F350 DRW Ultimate (stock for now )
- 1987 Buick Grand National (Staged)
- 2004 Mercury Marauder
- 1993 Geo Prizm (beater)
Old 02-20-2018, 11:24 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Thanks for the Link Billy, he is on the opposite side of the country I’m 300 Miles in land from Vancouver on the West coast. Shipping in Canada can be huge (more) compared to the USA.

j
Truck pix & Write ups
Old 02-20-2018, 11:59 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

I do have to say JW knows his stuff. When he built the tow master for my truck he asked what size tire and who's tunes. Told him 285's and GH tunes. At the time he was building it it had 265's and no tunes. It shifted well when I got it back. Once I put the 285's on it, it was shifting great. When the GH tunes got installed they worked great with the trans. Almost 200K miles later still going strong and I have stretched out services to 50K miles.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:24 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Thanks for the Link Billy, he is on the opposite side of the country I’m 300 Miles in land from Vancouver on the West coast. Shipping in Canada can be huge (more) compared to the USA.

j
Maybe you can make a short vacation to JW. He's in SoCal, so the cost of shipping just may cover a road trip. Just don't declare it when you return home since it would be hidden under the truck.

Had to look up Kamloops to see where it is. Haven't been there but have been to Williams Lake to fish the outlet of Quesnel Lake. Flat out the best late summer trout fishing I have ever experienced. Fished the outlet of the lake where there is a big swirl pool where salmon would spawn. Big trout would come out of the river and eat the eggs. They would hammer a single egg and we had hookups 19 out of 20 casts. Did a lot of catch and release since there was no way we could eat all of the fish we caught. Only problem was the 50 mile trip in from the main highway, bumpy dirt road all of the way.

Last edited by old man dave; 02-21-2018 at 03:46 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:16 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man dave View Post
Maybe you can make a short vacation to JW. He's in SoCal, so the cost of shipping just may cover a road trip. Just don't declare it when you return home since it would be hidden under the truck.

Had to look up Kamloops to see where it is. Haven't been there but have been to Williams Lake to fish the outlet of Quesnel Lake. Flat out the best late summer trout fishing I have ever experienced. Fished the outlet of the lake where there is a big swirl pool where salmon would spawn. Big trout would come out of the river and eat the eggs. They would hammer a single egg and we had hookups 19 out of 20 casts. Did a lot of catch and release since there was no way we could eat all of the fish we caught. Only problem was the 50 mile trip in from the main highway, bumpy dirt road all of the way.
Thats another option Dave that Id consider too, good one! My only concern is if I have a problem then it could be problematic to get it back to JW. Think Ive resigned myself to the ZF option long term. Short term Im gonna install the PI TC and some sort of shift enhancing hardware and run till I can swap to a ZF system.

Quesnel Lake/Williams Lake yes beautiful country, with the exception of a massive mining tailings reservoir catastrophe, check out Mount Polly mining disaster. And get this.... not one person or entity has been charged for this disaster......unbelievable. This is the largest mining disaster in Canadian history too. Im all for resource extraction if done appropriately, but good god this disaster is an embarrassment globally. Very sad indeed.

Thanks again for suggestion.

j
Truck pix & Write ups
Old 02-22-2018, 11:20 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver View Post
I do have to say JW knows his stuff. When he built the tow master for my truck he asked what size tire and who's tunes. Told him 285's and GH tunes. At the time he was building it it had 265's and no tunes. It shifted well when I got it back. Once I put the 285's on it, it was shifting great. When the GH tunes got installed they worked great with the trans. Almost 200K miles later still going strong and I have stretched out services to 50K miles.
Awesome Denver, thanks for the insight, my plan is to call JW when i get my D60 RSK swap completed by this weekend I hope.

j
Truck pix & Write ups
Old 02-22-2018, 11:37 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandkole View Post
Im not convinced it has to be a JW or a BTS. A good shop that is keeping up with transmission technology today and cares about their customers, can do a good build for you. We saw enough stuff during my BTS repair to know that they are not doing anything special in a 500hp build except using the latest 02-03 4R components.

I also have some E4 parts in mine (OD frictions are the first that come to mind). I don't have a 'big name' TC either-- a std stall, 5R110 triple disk by a local shop that was built knowing that it would see full power now and then. Its never missed a beat.

Lots of attention paid to the TCC control valving, use a mechanical pressure riser, and a VB that's drilled for a firm shift at high power. (The 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are don't break your back, but you know they are happening.)
I agree with the very first line! Local guy did a stock rebuild for my excursion. Bts valvebody, and it flat works. Very minimal mods, no crazy hp, but at 50k miles, the trans shifts just as nice now as it did day one.
2002 with a couple of mods, grocerygetter