Worried about sitting motor

jjsalz

Reaction score
Guys,

I have a sitting 7.3 motor out of a '97 waiting in the wings for a good rebuild and oil pan. It has been sitting for about two years. I got it used on Craigslist, plan on rebuilding it when the funds and time are available (hopefully very soon). My question is this: Is there anything I should have done/can do now to make sure I am keeping this sitting motor in proper long-term storage condition and not causing any unnecessary damage to it? I'm worried, because the engine has literally sat bolted to my engine stand for two years. Always indoors in my dry dust-free shop, never outside.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

- John

psduser1

Reaction score
Pull the glow plugs, and hose the cylinders down with ash less oil, or at least penetrating oil. Roll it over a couple times, and resoak with oil. Keeps the cylinders at least somewhat rust free.
Other than that, not much, unless you want to build a stand to actually start and run it, lol.

jjsalz

Reaction score
Pull the glow plugs, and hose the cylinders down with ash less oil, or at least penetrating oil. Roll it over a couple times, and resoak with oil. Keeps the cylinders at least somewhat rust free.
Other than that, not much, unless you want to build a stand to actually start and run it, lol.

Thanks for that, I'll definitely do that at least. I'd love to be able to test it on a stand honestly. That would be another project for another day lol

Latest posts

Members online