Need Help - feels like I have 2 4th gears

SKYWALKR

Reaction score
Gents,

The last 2 days it feels like I have. 4th gear low and 4th gear high and one of them is a hard jarring shift. Typically this is under low or moderate acceleration like in traffic.

The truck is ******d with GH tunes for the last 6000 miles, but this is new. I run the level 3 tune and i ABSOLUTELY baby the truck; probably been full throttle 8 times and one of them was to learn the transmission. Truck only has 26000 miles... what gives.

The shift is HARD AND JARRING on the 4th "second" shift...

Help me out, I can't imagine the trans is toast already... ford must have done better than that...

Semper Fi

SKYWALKR

Reaction score
Why would the TC lock up be so harsh or noticeable all of a sudden? And, just in one gear?

Thanks for the Intel, by the way.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Any ideas? Maybe refresh the tune?

Yeah I would try and reflash the tune and just drive the truck the way you normally do right from the get go. Just talk to your tuner or who you bought the tunes from and they should be able to help you out for sure! Definitely sounds like your torque converter as earlier mentioned...

SKYWALKR

Reaction score
I have noticed this condition seems to be linked to the times when my wipers activate for one swipe sporadically (not the coutesy wipe). As if the ECU does some kind of lite reboot and at start up the wipers activate for one swipe and my transmission needs to relearn.

Could be a coincedence, but the last (2) times I got the one wipe my transmission also seems to be learning the shifts and TC lock up timing.

Reaction score
Mine does this all the time. I've even noticed it on our old service trucks. Sometimes my trans like to lockup the converter in 2-6 but sometimes it won't lock till it does that 4lo-4hi gear like you said. Sometimes my TQ converter won't lock till 6th gear.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
with GH tunes the converter should be locking in 3rd, at least thats when mine always locks.

Jomax

Reaction score
Have you tried contacting Mike @nolimit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

griz700rocket

Reaction score
As I mentioned in the other thread about your wipers it sounds like your computer is resetting. If so it is shifting hard because it lost it's transmission memory and starting from the base tables that are programmed.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Past four days my tuck has started the jolt when the torque converter locks in 4th gear. However the torque converter will not lockup in 4th when the trans temperature is below ~80 degrees. Above ~80-85 degrees under light to medium throttle it will do it every time (I have not tried WOT when the truck is at this point because the truck has only reached ~100 degrees engine oil temperature). I am running the GH SOTF tunes. It does it in every position on the switch. I did multiple 0-50 on the highway this morning. When the trans temperature has reached above ~120 degrees it no longer does this? Is there any correlation between the tuning and transmission temperature? Any thoughts?

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I would contact your tuning provider and just have a discussion with them. These transmissions tend to run a little funky from time to time especially when the oil temp is under 150 degrees I find. Mine shifts extremely firm and does weird things until it warms up haha

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
I uninstalled the tune and reinstalled this morning i will report back with results. This is what was suggested to me.

ckrueg

Reaction score
I think its pretty standard for the transmissions to keep the converter unlocked when its cold, to help bring the temperature up faster. My truck did it stock, and tuned, my 6.4 did it, as well as my dads 7.3

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Well its back with a vengence. Trucks feels like you hit a 2x6 in the road. Its a good jolt when the torque converter locks up. Any suggestions? Its not on my list of things to have to uninstall and reinstall to make it go away for a few months....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

powerstrokelyfe

Reaction score
Did you get in contact with your current tuner ? Perhaps try some different tunes to see if it resolves the issue.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
I was told to uninstall and reinstall the tune. That worked for awhile but its back. I would say 90% of the time is when it is cold. The other 10% comes at random. However when it does happen at random it comes like 4 or 5 jolts at a time when driving around town then nothing until the next morning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
Do you by any chance still have the old tune that isn't SOTF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online