7.3 surging while cruising

bmw

Reaction score
Recently bought a e99 7.3 224k.
Did basics like a ts6, muffler ******, and a 6637 to replace the worn out panel filter.
Currently experiencing a random surge after the first few miles. Cruises at the same “power level” typically all the time. Then randomly it’ll just surge and almost pick up power for a split second then right back to cruising power we will call it. Put my scanner on it. No codes everything reads basically normal for a cold start. All 8 injectors buzz. Fails number 3 on a contribution.

Just changed fuel filter oil and added 16oz of arch oil. Not to fix just to eliminate. The stc fitting on the passenger head seems to have a small leak got the stuff from diesel orings for that repair.

Not quite sure where to start. Any theories? When it does the surge I get no light SES or WTS like others I’ve read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmw

Reaction score
I’ll definitely pull the tune and take a look and see abt a pressure tester later in the week

sootie

Reaction score
just curious is the engine cold when this is occurring? I'm not a 7.3 guru at all i seem to remember the epbv causing wonky things when cold.

bmw

Reaction score
It always seems to happen after the first 5-10 miles. Never right out of the gate. The engine is warm when it occurs.

bmw

Reaction score
Surging usually is contributed to a fueling issue. Could you monitor fuel pressure?

Also, remove the chip and see if it surges. My truck was doing a surge thing which was caused by tunes.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Billy,
Removed the chip and made the same drive the symptoms have occurred during 4 times this week. And seems to have been a miracle cure. Of course more drive time is necessary. But if it holds up to be true what are my options for tuning because my goodness it’s a night and day switch with and without.

Would it be a chip issue? A tune issue? A truck issue? Is a custom ts6 tune from say Jelibuilt a viable option still?

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I would still verify fuel pressure. Contact your tuning person and relay the issue you're having. Probably need to tweak the tune.

Who are the tunes from? You can PM if you don't want to make it public.

Billy T.
[email protected]

bmw

Reaction score
I would still verify fuel pressure. Contact your tuning person and relay the issue you're having. Probably need to tweak the tune.

Who are the tunes from? You can PM if you don't want to make it public.

Billy T.
[email protected]

The tunes are just the garbage canned tunes.

bmw

Reaction score
Is the chip bad? Or is a custom tune still an option?

Latest posts

Members online